Window switching with 4Dwm - SGI

This is a discussion on Window switching with 4Dwm - SGI ; Hi, does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm? Thanks, Volker...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Window switching with 4Dwm

    Hi,

    does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?

    Thanks,

    Volker

  2. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    In article ,
    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:
    :does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    :WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?

    Not supported. But you can set keys to switch to particular "desks"
    [but there's no "next desk".]
    --
    Reviewers should be required to produce a certain number of
    negative reviews - like police given quotas for handing out

  3. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    > WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?

    Adding the following to the relevant section of your .4Dwmrc file, and
    restarting 4Dwm should do the trick :

    Keys 4DwmKeyBindings
    {
    AltTab root|icon|window f.circle_down
    Alt CtrlTab root|icon|window f.circle_up
    }

    (Note that this section is already likely to be present in your init file,
    just add the two lines shown if so.)

    -arun

  4. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    > WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?

    I just realized that what I suggested will only raise and lower windows,
    not transfer focus. However, if your windows happen to overlap you will
    achieve the required effect. Sorry about that.

    -arun

  5. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    Dans article , cmdr_karl@gmx.de
    disait...

    > does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    > WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?

    You can't, but you may switch windows to back/to front with alt+F1 and
    alt+F3.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  6. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    Thanks for your answers, I already use the upper/lower and deskswitching
    bindings.
    Pretty annoying that 4Dwm can't cycle through windows, that means I always
    have to get my hands off the keyboard for switching to the "compile"
    winterm ;-).

    Volker

  7. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    In article , Kurt Volker Krieg writes:

    |> does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    |> WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?

    Alt does it for me.

    It's in /usr/lib/X11/system.4Dwmrc as:

    Keys 4DwmKeyBindings
    {
    AltTab root|icon|window f.next_key
    Alt ShiftTab root|icon|window f.prev_key

    It's not a circular list, so the focus changing stops once you get to
    either end.

    --
    --------- Gordon Lack --------------- gml4410@ggr.co.uk ------------
    This message *may* reflect my personal opinion. It is *not* intended

  8. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > Thanks for your answers, I already use the upper/lower and deskswitching
    > bindings.
    > Pretty annoying that 4Dwm can't cycle through windows, that means I always
    > have to get my hands off the keyboard for switching to the "compile"
    > winterm ;-).
    >
    > Volker

    oh that's the problem: get a foot mouse!

  9. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    In article ,
    Emmanuel Florac writes:
    > Dans article , cmdr_karl@gmx.de
    > disait...
    >>
    >> does anyone know of a way to switch focus from window to window, like
    >> WindowMaker does with ALT+Tab, with 4Dwm?
    >>

    > You can't, but you may switch windows to back/to front with alt+F1 and
    > alt+F3.

    did you intentionally disable ALT+ESC ? ;-)

    1.) 'man 4Dwm'
    2.) cp /usr/lib/X11/system.4Dwmrc ~/.4Dwmrc
    3.) vi ~/.4Dwmrc
    4.) tellwm restart

    ....you can customize quite everything there.
    for example to map 'f.circle_up/f.circle_down' to 'AltTab'
    instead of 'AltEscape' ;-)

    Wolfgang

  10. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:21:40 +0200, Kurt Volker Krieg
    wrote:

    >Thanks for your answers, I already use the upper/lower and deskswitching
    >bindings.
    >Pretty annoying that 4Dwm can't cycle through windows, that means I always
    >have to get my hands off the keyboard for switching to the "compile"
    >winterm ;-).

    Indeed, if they skipped time on anti-aliasing the icons (what a feat!)
    and made the windows a little easier to navigate, that would be one
    more killer feature. Incredible how this mouse thing keeps nagging for
    years & years.

    Ruud van Gaal
    Free car sim: http://www.racer.nl/
    Pencil art : http://www.marketgraph.nl/gallery/

  11. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Lack Mr G M wrote:

    > Alt does it for me.
    >
    > It's in /usr/lib/X11/system.4Dwmrc as:
    >
    > Keys 4DwmKeyBindings
    > {
    > AltTab root|icon|window f.next_key
    > Alt ShiftTab root|icon|window f.prev_key
    >

    > It's not a circular list, so the focus changing stops once you get to
    > either end.

    That's what I meant.
    So SGI make the list cirular! ;-)

    Volker

  12. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    In article , Kurt Volker Krieg writes:

    |> That's what I meant.
    |> So SGI make the list cirular! ;-)

    But you can go the other way by changing the state of the Shift key,
    so in the meantime you do have a workaround which enables you to focus
    on any window...

    --
    --------- Gordon Lack --------------- gml4410@ggr.co.uk ------------
    This message *may* reflect my personal opinion. It is *not* intended
    to reflect those of my employer, or anyone else.

  13. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    Dans article , wolfi@engr.sgi.com
    disait...

    > > You can't, but you may switch windows to back/to front with alt+F1 and
    > > alt+F3.

    > did you intentionally disable ALT+ESC ? ;-)

    Actually I'm not used to it...

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  14. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    In article <2003Oct24.105742@ukwit01>, Lack Mr G M wrote:
    : Alt does it for me.

    Hmmm, that's not in 6.2, but it is in 6.5.
    --
    'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
    -- Journal of Self-Referentialism

  15. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    roberson@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > Hmmm, that's not in 6.2, but it is in 6.5.

    Do I have a wierd system then? It works in a circular way for me
    just fine (O2 with 6.5.15m).

    One thing though: on my Indigo2 (6.5.17m) it's stopped working.
    Any idea why?

    Ian.

  16. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    > Do I have a wierd system then? It works in a circular way for me
    > just fine (O2 with 6.5.15m).

    Using ALT-TAB? Sure doesn't work for me.
    Could you send me you 4Dwmrc?

    Volker

  17. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:
    > Using ALT-TAB? Sure doesn't work for me.
    > Could you send me you 4Dwmrc?

    I'll add it to my depot download page. The file is from an R10K Indigo2
    running 6.5.17m. And btw, I found that this version of the file also
    cured the problem on my other Indigo2, for which I thus have a theory:
    I think maybe installing SW95 can stop the TAB thing from working.

    I'll email you the file too.

    Cheers!

    Ian.

  18. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    > I'll email you the file too.

    Thank you very much. I just tried the file and it still doesn't work. This
    is an O2 R5k running 6.5.15. Maybe you have a different Version of 4Dwm. I
    didn't figure out, how to fnd out what version mine is :-(.

    Volker

  19. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    I've added the file to my depot download page:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/depot/

    It's the last item on the list at the moment. Use 'Save Link As' or
    equivalent.

    Ian.

  20. Re: Window switching with 4Dwm

    Ian Mapleson wrote:

    > I've added the file to my depot download page:
    >
    > http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/depot/
    >
    > It's the last item on the list at the moment. Use 'Save Link As' or
    > equivalent.
    >
    > Ian.

    i see you're still missing the octane_ic_6.5.tar.gz i kept offering you
    for your
    cosmo2 (impact compression) cards. what's up with that? you find a
    different solution?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast