IRIX 6.5 - SGI

This is a discussion on IRIX 6.5 - SGI ; I recently purchased an SGI and I want to upgrade the harddisk and do a reinstall at the sametime. Problem being, i dont have the original disks that came with it. Does anybody know where i can get them from? ...

  1. IRIX 6.5

    I recently purchased an SGI and I want to upgrade the harddisk and do a
    reinstall at the sametime. Problem being, i dont have the original disks
    that came
    with it. Does anybody know where i can get them from?
    If not, is there a linux or bsd port that will easily work on this system?
    TIA
    Darren

  2. Re: IRIX 6.5

    You can use XFS dump | xfsrestore to dump a system image of your new disk.
    There has been a script written sometime ago to do this maybe someone could
    post it.

    "Darren" wrote in message
    > I recently purchased an SGI and I want to upgrade the harddisk and do a
    > reinstall at the sametime. Problem being, i dont have the original disks
    > that came
    > with it. Does anybody know where i can get them from?
    > If not, is there a linux or bsd port that will easily work on this system?
    > TIA
    > Darren

  3. Re: IRIX 6.5

    For some SGI systems there are linux ports. If you have a mips-based system
    check http://www.linux-mips.org/index.html,
    http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/ and
    http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/mips.html for more information. You can
    run debian or gentoo on some of the mips-based systems.

    If you have a x86 based system, it should be easy, it'll probably run on
    most linux and bsd distributions.

    Jeroen

    "Darren" wrote in message
    > I recently purchased an SGI and I want to upgrade the harddisk and do a
    > reinstall at the sametime. Problem being, i dont have the original disks
    > that came
    > with it. Does anybody know where i can get them from?
    > If not, is there a linux or bsd port that will easily work on this system?
    > TIA
    > Darren

  4. Re: IRIX 6.5

    "Jeroen Resoort"
    > For some SGI systems there are linux ports. If you have a mips-based

    system
    > check http://www.linux-mips.org/index.html,
    > http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/ and
    > http://dev.gentoo.org/~kumba/mips/mips.html for more information. You can
    > run debian or gentoo on some of the mips-based systems.

    Red Hat is another possibility...

    -- A complete distribution based on RedHat's 7.1, ported by H.J. Lu, can be
    found at ftp://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/. --

    Jeroen

+ Reply to Thread