SGI O2 as Internet Gateway - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI O2 as Internet Gateway - SGI ; I am looking for information about setting up an internal network that uses an interface card in an SGI O2 to access the internet. I.e. I have an O2 connected to the internet through a router with an address given ...

  1. SGI O2 as Internet Gateway

    I am looking for information about setting up an
    internal network that uses an interface card in
    an SGI O2 to access the internet. I.e. I have an
    O2 connected to the internet through a router with
    an address given by my ISP. I also have an internal
    network (all ethernet connections) with another
    machine, printers, etc. that includes the O2, with
    the O2 interface aliased to an address on the internal
    net.

    I was hoping to configure the O2 and its interface
    to allow machines on the internal net to send/receive
    to the internet, using IPFILTER to handle NATing etc.
    However all incoming packets from the internal machines
    are apparently considered to be "unforwardable".

    I have seen one post that suggests it is not possible
    to use a single O2 interface as a gateway/firewall for
    the internal network. Is this true? If not does anyone
    know how to configure this type of system.

    Thanks for any help.

    Cheers, Alan

  2. Re: SGI O2 as Internet Gateway

    Hi..

    Thank-you for the useful feedback.
    I have found (its actually in the SGI docs
    as well) that you do need a second Ethernet
    card to create a gateway on SGIs. One has
    been purchased and installed.

    But when I bring the system up there
    is a message that says that full-duplex is not
    supported on the new interface (although it is
    on the old main one). Is this a hardware or
    software (i.e. driver) issue and if software
    how can I reset it? IFCONFIG man pages discuss
    an option to set this, LINK0, but then note that
    it is not implimented yet!

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Cheers, Alan

+ Reply to Thread