The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:57:59 +0100
>From: Alan Horrocks
>Subject: Re: assembly programming on mips (doc pointers req)
>To: info-iris-misc@ARL.ARMY.MIL

>I disagree. I work in the embedded software field where initially,
>there is no environment to run C code. I have had to write machine init
>code in MIPS assembly to bring hardware up and prove the basic operation.

If you have no operating system, then you are in a
``machine specific'' environment. I feel that we
are in ``heated'' agreement.

>I agree if you were implying that assembly is largely unused on
>computers or in high-level environments.

>btw, to the original poster of this thread, Spim is a really good
>program for learning and trying MIPS assembly.

Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)