The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:39:06 -0400
>From: mike
>Subject: Re: assembly programming on mips (doc pointers req)
>To: info-iris-misc@ARL.ARMY.MIL

>> I have worked with computers for almost four decades. I have used them,
>> programmed them, operated them, designed and built them from the logic
>> gate level, taught classes on their languages at the masters level and
>> operating internals of System V UNIX professionally (including to a
>> telephone company computer center staff). I have seen the almost
>> complete disappearance of assembly language coding except in the areas
>> that I indicated above.

>you seem to leave out the other use for ASM, i.e. cracking/hacking binaries

Actually most of the hacks I have seen were coded directly in C
without any associated assembly language, even for Windows hacks.

But, I grant your point nonetheless.

Randolph J. Herber, herber@fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA. (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.) (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)