New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe - SGI

This is a discussion on New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe - SGI ; Just visited www.sgi.com and felt excited for the new Onyx4 competition. That was until I read it has similar limitations to the Innovation Zone... Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter The other thing that disappointed me is ...

  1. New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    Just visited www.sgi.com and felt excited for the new Onyx4
    competition. That was until I read it has similar limitations to the
    Innovation Zone... Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter

    The other thing that disappointed me is that you can win a PC graphics
    card if you don't win the Onyx4. I'd infinitely prefer to win a
    remarketed SGI machine rather than an ATI graphics card... I can't see
    any point in spending months in an innovating IRIX demo and then
    getting a PC gfx card... anyway I can't enter the competition, so...
    I'll continue putting my efforts in Pegamento and other tools...

    Cheers,

    CÚsar

  2. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    In article <8cb6fec2.0310081026.61295495@posting.google.com>,
    cesarbud@yahoo.com (cesar) wrote:

    : Just visited www.sgi.com and felt excited for the new Onyx4
    : competition. That was until I read it has similar limitations to the
    : Innovation Zone... Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter
    :

    Better than Innovation zone: that one was US-only, no Canada. One step at a
    time, I guess.

    : The other thing that disappointed me is that you can win a PC graphics
    : card if you don't win the Onyx4. I'd infinitely prefer to win a
    : remarketed SGI machine rather than an ATI graphics card... I can't see
    : any point in spending months in an innovating IRIX demo and then
    : getting a PC gfx card... anyway I can't enter the competition, so...
    : I'll continue putting my efforts in Pegamento and other tools...

    Well, it's a joint contest between SGI and ATI, it wouldn't make sense to give
    away only SGI gear. Of course, a mid-level prize between the two might be nice,
    It's a bit of a gap between a $40k Onyx4 and a $600 video card.

    Of course, it also seems a bit silly to give away an Onyx4 for a contest that
    almost requires you already have an Onyx4 to win.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    Dans article <8cb6fec2.0310081026.61295495@posting.google.com>,
    cesarbud@yahoo.com disait...
    > Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter

    "Excluding Quebec".... Why that? Strange indeed.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  4. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    In article ,
    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    ans article <8cb6fec2.0310081026.61295495@posting.google.com>,
    :cesarbud@yahoo.com disait...
    :> Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter

    :"Excluding Quebec".... Why that? Strange indeed.

    Quebec has different laws governing contests than the rest of
    Canada. If you are running a contest, it is often easier to exclude
    Quebec than to meet Quebec rules.

    I do not recall at the moment what the major differences are.
    Separate registration in Quebec for sure. cf.
    "Quebec Act Respecting Lotteries, Publicity Contests and Amusement Machines"
    and the regulations "Rules Respecting Publicity Contests".
    --
    Before responding, take into account the possibility that the Universe
    was created just an instant ago, and that you have not actually read

  5. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    cesar wrote:
    > Just visited www.sgi.com and felt excited for the new Onyx4
    > competition. That was until I read it has similar limitations to the
    > Innovation Zone... Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter
    >

    > The other thing that disappointed me is that you can win a PC graphics
    > card if you don't win the Onyx4. I'd infinitely prefer to win a
    > remarketed SGI machine rather than an ATI graphics card... I can't see
    > any point in spending months in an innovating IRIX demo and then
    > getting a PC gfx card... anyway I can't enter the competition, so...
    > I'll continue putting my efforts in Pegamento and other tools...

    If you read carefully you can read that they provide a LINUX based Onyx4 ...

    This is indeed the second time (I know of) that Europe is left out of
    competitions like this. That doesn't look good for sgi!

    Erik

  6. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    On 10/9/2003 3:02 AM, Erik wrote:

    > cesar wrote:
    >
    >> Just visited www.sgi.com and felt excited for the new Onyx4
    >> competition. That was until I read it has similar limitations to the
    >> Innovation Zone... Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter
    >>

    >> The other thing that disappointed me is that you can win a PC graphics
    >> card if you don't win the Onyx4. I'd infinitely prefer to win a
    >> remarketed SGI machine rather than an ATI graphics card... I can't see
    >> any point in spending months in an innovating IRIX demo and then
    >> getting a PC gfx card... anyway I can't enter the competition, so...
    >> I'll continue putting my efforts in Pegamento and other tools...

    > If you read carefully you can read that they provide a LINUX based Onyx4
    >
    > This is indeed the second time (I know of) that Europe is left out of
    > competitions like this. That doesn't look good for sgi!
    >
    > Erik

    Where did you read that? I've never seen docs on a MIPS-based SGI that
    runs Linux.

  7. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    Erik said..
    >If you read carefully you can read that they provide a LINUX based Onyx4 ...

    How so? The grand prize is clearly listed as a 4-CPU 2-Pipe Onyx4
    UltimateVision. That system runs IRIX.

    Are you drawing some inference from the mention of XFree86, thinking
    that means Linux? It doesn't. The Onyx4 UV uses XFree86 as its X
    server, on IRIX.

    Allan
    --
    Allan Schaffer allan@sgi.com
    Silicon Graphics http://www.sgi.com

  8. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    Allan Schaffer wrote:
    > Erik said..
    >
    >>If you read carefully you can read that they provide a LINUX based Onyx4 ...

    > How so? The grand prize is clearly listed as a 4-CPU 2-Pipe Onyx4
    > UltimateVision. That system runs IRIX.
    >
    > Are you drawing some inference from the mention of XFree86, thinking
    > that means Linux? It doesn't. The Onyx4 UV uses XFree86 as its X
    > server, on IRIX.

    No, it's not that. Although I'm not quite sure it's a good idea to use
    XFree86, it is a standard these days.

    I'm quite sure I read that is Linux based somewhere on these pages, but
    unless I was low on caffeine when I read it (I read it twice to make
    sure I really understood that the Onyx4 was intel based) someone might
    have changes Linux to IRIX in the mean time ...

    Anyhow, it should be IRIX (thank god).
    ;-)

    Erik

  9. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    In article , Erik wrote:

    : No, it's not that. Although I'm not quite sure it's a good idea to use
    : XFree86, it is a standard these days.

    XFree86 also has the advantage of already having an ATI driver written for it. I
    don't think I'd want to port Xsgi to a pc-style graphics card any more than I'd
    want to port XFree86 to an SGI-style graphics system.

    I suppose it wouldn't be impossible now for SGI to plug together an Altix with
    an UltimateVision pipe. Hmm. I wonder if they'd call it an Onyx though?

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  10. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    cesar wrote:

    > Just visited www.sgi.com and felt excited for the new Onyx4
    > competition. That was until I read it has similar limitations to the
    > Innovation Zone... Only US and Canada residents are allowed to enter

    That's almost always a restriction mandated by the folks in legal.

  11. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    > That's almost always a restriction mandated by the folks in legal.

    Come on..

    Can't they be creative ?
    What's the problem ?

    There must be a way around if they would try
    Why would SGI settle with such a small part of all programmers available?

  12. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    Bastiaan de Geeter wrote:

    >> That's almost always a restriction mandated by the folks in legal.
    >>

    > Come on..

    > Can't they be creative ?

    A creative lawyer???? I suggest you move to the US for
    a couple of years, and find out about their lawyers.

    Very old, oft repeated joke: What does it mean if you
    are walking along the beach and you see a lawyer, in
    up to his neck in sand? Answer: It means you should get
    some more sand.

    Ob Disclaimer: I am US citizen.

    --
    Andy Nelson School of Mathematics
    andy@maths.ed.ac.uk University of Edinburgh

  13. Re: New Onyx4 competition... no luck for Europe

    Bastiaan de Geeter wrote:

    >>That's almost always a restriction mandated by the folks in legal.
    >>

    > Come on..
    >
    > Can't they be creative ?

    No. Laws governing contests are pretty strict in Europe (and Quebec).
    Certainly when the contests appear to be lotteries.

    > Why would SGI settle with such a small part of all programmers available?

    Oh, you can still submit your stuff -- just not win anything but honour.

+ Reply to Thread