This Iris Indigo is going to drive me nuts !!!!!!!!!! - SGI

This is a discussion on This Iris Indigo is going to drive me nuts !!!!!!!!!! - SGI ; Hello Group: More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 ...

  1. This Iris Indigo is going to drive me nuts !!!!!!!!!!

    Hello Group:
    More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    I have formatted old CPM system disks that never were as nightmarish as
    this! I am totally bummed can anyone offer any
    help Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    anguish it has caused me?

    jimgeneva@earthlink.net

  2. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me nuts !!!!!!!!!!

    The maximum size of an EFS filesystem is about 8 GB.
    It uses a filesystem block size of 512 bytes and allows
    a maximum file size of 2 GB minus 1 byte

    I guess you have the normal IRIX5.3. There is an
    IRIX5.3 with XFS support. Then you will have no
    practical limitations in the filesystem (1TB I think).
    If you have an R4X00 Indigo you can use IRIX6.2
    (and up) which also have XFS support.

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...html/ch01.html

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...efs.z&srch=efs

    /Bjorn

    "James C. Geneva" wrote:

    >Hello Group:
    > More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    >drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    >tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    >stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    >single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    >sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    >All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    >for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    >I have formatted old CPM system disks that never were as nightmarish as
    >this! I am totally bummed can anyone offer any
    >help Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    >anguish it has caused me?
    >
    >jimgeneva@earthlink.net

  3. Re: This Iris Indigo is going to drive me nuts !!!!!!!!!!

    Hello:

    I have managed to get it going! I fx the disk forcing it to just use 8 gigs and not all 9.11 gigs but I could not get the software
    to install
    some intermediate problem of it trying to install all software on the mini root I think? So I used the repair a file system option
    I luckily
    had made a backup of the original 1 gig hard disk so I used it and BANG finally I have something that works. I still have a tiny
    problem
    which when first turned on I am getting this:

    auto reconfiguring operating system
    /var/sysgen/Root/usr/bin/ld:
    error undefined:
    mrt.ioctl
    legal_vif_num
    ip_mroute_init
    ip_mroute_slowtimo
    lboot: ld returned 256 -- failed

    but then boots 5.3 with no problems
    after shutdown and restart or when turning it on the next time it print the same message again

    thankfully the xpio missing from slot 0 xpio missing from slot 1 gtro missing has gone away for good.

    THANK YOU ALL WHO OFFERED HELP!!!!

    jimgeneva

    Bjorn Ljungdahl wrote:

    > The maximum size of an EFS filesystem is about 8 GB.
    > It uses a filesystem block size of 512 bytes and allows
    > a maximum file size of 2 GB minus 1 byte
    >
    > I guess you have the normal IRIX5.3. There is an
    > IRIX5.3 with XFS support. Then you will have no
    > practical limitations in the filesystem (1TB I think).
    > If you have an R4X00 Indigo you can use IRIX6.2
    > (and up) which also have XFS support.
    >
    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...html/ch01.html
    >
    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...efs.z&srch=efs
    >
    > /Bjorn
    >
    > "James C. Geneva" wrote:
    >
    > >Hello Group:
    > > More on this damn machine! ok I have just gotten a new 9 gig IBM disk
    > >drive a DCHS 09F a 50 pin single ended disk
    > >tried to make a single partition no luck it wants all 9.11 gigs will not
    > >stop at 8 gigs ok so I manually attempt to create a
    > >single partition or even multiple partitions just no luck! is there any
    > >sites or technical documentation on the EFS system.
    > >All I wanted is one drive to hold all of the software still available
    > >for this computer never realized what a nightmare it would be.
    > >I have formatted old CPM system disks that never were as nightmarish as
    > >this! I am totally bummed can anyone offer any
    > >help Or should I just take a hammer to it and get some joy for the
    > >anguish it has caused me?
    > >
    > >jimgeneva@earthlink.net

+ Reply to Thread