SGI and Hobbyists - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI and Hobbyists - SGI ; I'm posting to a long old thread about SGI asking for suggestions from Hobbyists. Is there any real reference to all of the parts of IRIX that are licensed? There was a bunch of suggestions of SGI releasing it for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. SGI and Hobbyists

    I'm posting to a long old thread about SGI asking for suggestions from
    Hobbyists.

    Is there any real reference to all of the parts of IRIX that are
    licensed? There was a bunch of suggestions of SGI releasing it for
    free to hobbyists, but the issue of licensed components comes up.
    Other than BRU, and Motif... what is licensed?

    IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    much. If there was a way to eliminate some of the stuff that is
    licensed (maybe forever?) and sell the latest copy @ a cheap to
    non-commercial price, it would probably generate more cash than having
    it sold thru ebay and CD-Rs walking out of college labs. It doesn't
    seem like a ton of development is being done on IRIX, maybe SGI could
    benefit from letting people do work for them for free.

    Another thing, the freeware people do a great job -- the list is so
    long, I like to rub it in the faces of Sun die hards. But sometimes
    important things don't get updated quickly (Security exploits), bind,
    OpenSSH, Apache... FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD use a ports collection,
    which is a system that maintains diffs for the BSD version of the
    code. The setup goes and gets the generic version of the freely
    availible software and then applies the diffs. If something like that
    was modified to keep a diff for mipspro and gcc, and used on IRIX it
    could be interesting. I will dig into it a bit, but I'm not
    uberprogrammer.

    I've been working on scripting out a setup to compile some of the more
    often updated stuff (apache, openssh, bind, sendmail, etc) so that I
    can easily compile new copies and make them availible to the public,
    so far it sort of works but I haven't tried Apache and I have no
    experience with the irix installer packaging, so I've just been making
    tars with the tree pointing to /usr/local ... No handling of
    pre-reqs... ugh.

    It would be nice to see SGI ack the "fans" but what they really need
    is a ****ing web store. Years later I still see people bitching about
    not being able to buy machines or getting lame responses. The MIPS
    based ATX board with IRIX support for AGP nVidia cards sounded nice.
    Doh. How much does a modern MIPS CPU chip by itself cost in quanity
    anyways? I heard a rumor that the Fuel had a single chip
    (memory/crossbar) that was $1k a pop by itself. Ouch.

    Bug logo (cube) posters and shirts might make them a little profit.

    I hope SGI survives, but it seems like American business 101 says you
    can drive a company into the ****ter as long as the board walks away
    golden...

    I forgot where I was... anywho, I recently worked with a ton of Sun
    stuff, e220rs, 420r's, e6500s... what a bunch of junk, crap failing
    left and right.

  2. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    In article ,
    ethan@757.org (Ethan) wrote:

    : Is there any real reference to all of the parts of IRIX that are
    : licensed? There was a bunch of suggestions of SGI releasing it for
    : free to hobbyists, but the issue of licensed components comes up.
    : Other than BRU, and Motif... what is licensed?

    A pair of companies sharing IP is like a pair of 3-year-olds sharing legos. Both
    sides will claim to be the sole and original owner of all the red bricks, most
    of the non-broken green slabs, and each and every last wheelset (unless the
    tires are missing).

    Trying to re-separate the two sets is an excersize in futility. Just look at all
    the SCO/Linux fuss, all because IBM *dared* to demingle IP.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

    > In article ,
    > ethan@757.org (Ethan) wrote:
    >
    > : Is there any real reference to all of the parts of IRIX that are
    > : licensed? There was a bunch of suggestions of SGI releasing it for
    > : free to hobbyists, but the issue of licensed components comes up.
    > : Other than BRU, and Motif... what is licensed?
    >
    > A pair of companies sharing IP is like a pair of 3-year-olds sharing legos. Both
    > sides will claim to be the sole and original owner of all the red bricks, most
    > of the non-broken green slabs, and each and every last wheelset (unless the
    > tires are missing).

    you must have worked for toy companys then (pun not intended).

    > Trying to re-separate the two sets is an excersize in futility. Just look at all
    > the SCO/Linux fuss, all because IBM *dared* to demingle IP.

    i propose a corollary to Godwin's Law substitute "linux" for "hitler".

    > Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler
    >
    > --
    > Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@ubb.ca
    > -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ -- http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  4. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Ethan wrote:

    > I forgot where I was... anywho, I recently worked with a ton of Sun
    > stuff, e220rs, 420r's, e6500s... what a bunch of junk, crap failing
    > left and right.

    i have an o200 on the way, i'm psyched!

  5. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    In message , Ethan wrote:
    > I'm posting to a long old thread about SGI asking for suggestions from
    > Hobbyists.
    >
    > Is there any real reference to all of the parts of IRIX that are
    > licensed? There was a bunch of suggestions of SGI releasing it for
    > free to hobbyists, but the issue of licensed components comes up.
    > Other than BRU, and Motif... what is licensed?
    >
    > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    > much. If there was a way to eliminate some of the stuff that is
    > licensed (maybe forever?) and sell the latest copy @ a cheap to
    > non-commercial price, it would probably generate more cash than having
    > it sold thru ebay and CD-Rs walking out of college labs. It doesn't
    > seem like a ton of development is being done on IRIX, maybe SGI could
    > benefit from letting people do work for them for free.

    Sgi was still working on putting something together for hobbyists last time I
    asked. When they will release something or what it will contain, I don't know.

    As to development done on Irix, I'm not sure how much people outside of Sgi can
    do to improve Irix itself. Developing applications for Irix seems to be the
    best way to help them out.

    Mark

  6. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    * Ethan wrote:

    > Another thing, the freeware people do a great job -- the list is so
    > long, I like to rub it in the faces of Sun die hards. But sometimes
    > important things don't get updated quickly (Security exploits), bind,
    > OpenSSH, Apache... FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD use a ports collection,
    > which is a system that maintains diffs for the BSD version of the
    > code. The setup goes and gets the generic version of the freely
    > availible software and then applies the diffs. If something like that
    > was modified to keep a diff for mipspro and gcc, and used on IRIX it
    > could be interesting. I will dig into it a bit, but I'm not
    > uberprogrammer.

    Take a look at NetBSD's pkgsrc
    (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/) - it works on Irix as well.

    -Jan

    --
    http://www.netmeister.org

    I'm not even supposed to be here today!

  7. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:03:06 GMT, "<<>>" wrote:

    >In news:ba51dd5.0309292306.2767cf23@posting.google.co m, Ethan wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any real reference to all of the parts of IRIX that are
    >> licensed?

    >I would imagine all the SVR4 stuff is licensed from SCO, along with
    >certain derivative bits. There are probably other licensed bits too,

    But SCO is apparently going to revoke that license:

    http://www.cbronline.com/latestnews/...256db20018c17e

    Now what this means in the real world is unknown until the lawyers get
    into it.

  8. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Dans article ,
    ghenriks@rogers.com disait...

    > Now what this means in the real world is unknown[...]

    Most probably that SCO is a bunch of silly morons.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  9. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Gerald Henriksen wrote:

    > But SCO is apparently going to revoke that license:
    >
    > http://www.cbronline.com/latestnews/...256db20018c17e
    >
    > Now what this means in the real world is unknown until the lawyers get
    > into it.

    it means that those of you that still have room in their budgets should
    go out and buy more SGI gear to show their utter disgust at SCO's
    ridiculous claims.

    grts,

    avi

  10. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Avi Bercovich wrote:
    > Gerald Henriksen wrote:
    >
    >> But SCO is apparently going to revoke that license:
    >>
    >> http://www.cbronline.com/latestnews/...256db20018c17e
    >>
    >> Now what this means in the real world is unknown until the lawyers get
    >> into it.
    >>

    > it means that those of you that still have room in their budgets should
    > go out and buy more SGI gear to show their utter disgust at SCO's
    > ridiculous claims.

    SCO is in no position to revoke the license. They own the copyright over
    the source code, they don't have the authority to give or take any
    license of *any* unix (like) operating system*.

    Erik

    *) http://www.opengroup.org/

  11. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Erik wrote:

    > Avi Bercovich wrote:
    > > Gerald Henriksen wrote:
    > >
    > >> But SCO is apparently going to revoke that license:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.cbronline.com/latestnews/...256db20018c17e
    > >>
    > >> Now what this means in the real world is unknown until the lawyers get
    > >> into it.

    See http://oss.sgi.com/letter_100103.txt
    Jeff Hanson - jhanson@sgi.com - Field Technical Analyst

    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill. - Lee/Lifeson/Peart

  12. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Dans article <3f7bdf27$0$58703$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    avi@sillypages.org disait...

    > it means that those of you that still have room in their budgets should
    > go out and buy more SGI gear to show their utter disgust at SCO's
    > ridiculous claims.

    Especially since SGI has now a really fantastic range of great products
    (Tezro rocks, Onyx4 rrrrrrooocks, Altix rocks).

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  13. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    > > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    > > much.

    > Certainly the desktop has not changed, but do
    > not mistake the desktop for the entire OS.

    Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:

    http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/

    Ralph

    --
    ralph thomas - ralpht@sgi.com | "I can't escape reality as well as
    http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht | reality escapes me" (me, 8/26/03)

  14. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Hey Ralph!

    > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:
    >
    > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/

    kool!! Its great to see some very nice improvments to the desktop! I like
    4dwm the most compared to other wm's, and its finally going to get better

    cheers!
    mike

  15. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Ralph Thomas wrote:

    > > > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    > > > much.

    > > Certainly the desktop has not changed, but do
    > > not mistake the desktop for the entire OS.

    > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:
    >
    > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/
    >
    > Ralph
    >
    > --
    > ralph thomas - ralpht@sgi.com | "I can't escape reality as well as
    > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht | reality escapes me" (me, 8/26/03)

    nice, thank god it's not gnome.

  16. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    > > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:
    > >
    > > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/

    Excellent. Nice to see AA icons and better fonts. IRIX had this
    excellent SVG support, nice to see it's been given a kick. Now just
    some really nice artistry required ... http://www.levien.com/svg/

    > nice, thank god it's not gnome.

    Well, one thing Gnome Nautilus does well (and almost any FM these
    days) is display a directory listing (or icon view) that allows you to
    scroll up and down without you wanting to commit seppuku. I don't
    have people round to view my photos on my Octane, only on my PC.

    Can the FM display code have some controllable content caching and
    slickness updates too :0)

    People like visuals, and these are visual(isation) workstations after
    all.

    Cheers,

    Rob

  17. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    On 2003-10-02, Ralph Thomas wrote:
    >> > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    >> > much.

    >> Certainly the desktop has not changed, but do
    >> not mistake the desktop for the entire OS.

    > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:
    >
    > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/

    Are you accepting suggestions?
    Why don't use a thumbwheel for both font and icon size?

    --
    '(wave++ "Yuri D'Elia" "http://www.yuv.info/")

  18. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    previously Ralph Thomas may have written article
    <20031002195431.3f33683c.ralpht@sgi.com> saying:
    >> > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    >> > much.

    >> Certainly the desktop has not changed, but do
    >> not mistake the desktop for the entire OS.

    > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:

    Oooh nice.

    --
    Giolla Decair
    "Missed it

  19. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

  20. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html

    so this is the new hobbyist program! Free legal advice and free
    disclaimers. I love it!

    Cheers
    Andreas

+ Reply to Thread