SGI and Hobbyists - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI and Hobbyists - SGI ; Kurt Volker Krieg wrote: > > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html so this is the new hobbyist program! Free legal advice and free disclaimers. I love it! Cheers Andreas...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

  1. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html

    so this is the new hobbyist program! Free legal advice and free
    disclaimers. I love it!

    Cheers
    Andreas

  2. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html
    >
    > Volker

    yes, that is a perfect example of a well worded respectful legal
    notification of copyright ownership, and branding.
    no reason not to respect SGI(tm)'s wishes in this respect, they are
    granted these rights under may legal systems.
    You'll notice professionals in the industry have made prior
    accomodations for these rights, and obligations.

  3. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    previously SkyWriter may have written article
    <3F84C2A1.50CAE9E7@mrnutty.com> saying:
    > Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:
    >> http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html
    >> Volker

    > yes, that is a perfect example of a well worded respectful legal
    > notification of copyright ownership, and branding.

    The one thing I find odd is that the logo's they refer to come with a
    base install of Irix, so when you install IRIX from the media they
    give you the default web site set up by that installation will contain
    logo's that you're not allowed to use.

    Which is a bit odd.

    --
    Giolla Decair
    "Missed it

  4. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:

    > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html

    Hmmm...I think this says all about SGI's commitment to Hobbyists - they
    don't give a **** on them! Not really a surprise, though...

    I really wonder why still many hobbyists hang on SGI after the effort SGI
    puts in pissing of hobbyist users. Maybe it's time to remember that there
    are other interesting Unix platforms out there which make the hobbyist life
    a bit more easy...

    Benjamin

  5. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    "Benjamin Gawert" said..
    >> http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html

    >Hmmm...I think this says all about SGI's commitment to Hobbyists - they

    That letter has as much to do with making statements about commitment
    as it has to do with broccoli. How you draw the connection between a
    polite and respectful letter asking Jody to follow our trademark
    guidelines -- which under US laws we are required to do, if we want
    to keep the trademarks -- and some sort of anti-hobbyist slant is
    beyond me. Actually perhaps it's not _beyond me_, in that this
    overreaction itself comes as no surprise, but I see no evidence
    of any logic to it.

    Allan
    --
    Allan Schaffer allan@sgi.com
    Silicon Graphics http://www.sgi.com

  6. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:12:10 +0200,
    Benjamin Gawert , in
    wrote:
    +> Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:
    +>
    +> > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html
    +>
    +> Hmmm...I think this says all about SGI's commitment to Hobbyists - they
    +> don't give a **** on them! Not really a surprise, though...

    What would you have SGI do? fail to defend their trademark? and
    thereby *lose* the trademark, allowing any James, Benjamin or Kurt to
    sell "SGI" machines?

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  7. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    sy_nttvr@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth Aggie) writes:

    >On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 23:12:10 +0200,
    >Benjamin Gawert , in
    > wrote:
    >+> Kurt Volker Krieg wrote:
    >+>
    >+> > http://www.mesa-sys.com/sgi/index.html
    >+>
    >+> Hmmm...I think this says all about SGI's commitment to Hobbyists - they
    >+> don't give a **** on them! Not really a surprise, though...

    >What would you have SGI do? fail to defend their trademark? and
    >thereby *lose* the trademark, allowing any James, Benjamin or Kurt to
    >sell "SGI" machines?

    While I don't know what jodemans sgi is all about (never seen the site), I
    am wondering why sgi has not taken a more promotional approach to
    defending trademark. There are many examples of: powered by xxx, authored
    on xxx, designed on xxx, tested on xxx... Are other companies less
    defensive of their trademark?

    Cheers
    Robert

  8. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    barefoot said..
    >I am wondering why sgi has not taken a more promotional approach to
    >defending trademark. There are many examples of: powered by xxx, authored

    SGI promotes that as well. Sites can use the "Powered by SGI"
    logo if they follow the guidelines here:

    http://www.sgi.com/company_info/trad...eredguide.html

    Allan
    --
    Allan Schaffer allan@sgi.com
    Silicon Graphics http://www.sgi.com

  9. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Allan Schaffer wrote:

    > barefoot said..
    > >I am wondering why sgi has not taken a more promotional approach to
    > >defending trademark. There are many examples of: powered by xxx, authored

    > SGI promotes that as well. Sites can use the "Powered by SGI"
    > logo if they follow the guidelines here:
    >
    > http://www.sgi.com/company_info/trad...eredguide.html
    >
    > Allan
    > --
    > Allan Schaffer allan@sgi.com
    > Silicon Graphics http://www.sgi.com

    allen, thanks for providing the proper channel for informartion about your
    companies trademark usage.

  10. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Ralph Thomas wrote in message news:<20031002195431.3f33683c.ralpht@sgi.com>...
    > > > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    > > > much.

    > > Certainly the desktop has not changed, but do
    > > not mistake the desktop for the entire OS.

    > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:
    >
    > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/

    Kool stuff. I'm always struggling to get the fonts a size I
    like and the archived folders is especially nice. While you're
    in there, I often have trouble with the "view ftp site as a
    folder" feature tho ... and EXCUSE me, but should I send over
    my mom the ex-primary school teacher to give someone a lesson
    in arithmetic ? 21-3 = ?? Hint - it's NOT 17 !!! Let's get that
    padlock icon off the 6.5.18 download, hmmm ?

  11. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Ralph Thomas wrote in message news:<20031002195431.3f33683c.ralpht@sgi.com>...
    > > > IRIX is pretty stagnent, no offense but it really hasn't changed that
    > > > much.

    > > Certainly the desktop has not changed, but do
    > > not mistake the desktop for the entire OS.

    > Actually, even the desktop has seen some work in 6.5.22. There are a
    > couple of screenshots of some of the bits I did (for 22) here:
    >
    > http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht/resume/screenshots/
    >
    > Ralph

    Nice!

    Some new desktop backgrounds would be nice :-) Maybe some included
    rendered images of the old SGI cube logo at various resolutions. Maybe
    the new logo, nothing better than having a SGI logo on a monitor
    sitting behind the weatherman on TV.

  12. Re: SGI and Hobbyists

    Dans article ,
    ethan@757.org disait...
    > (the same one that created Lucent's flaming
    > asshole logo) for their new identity.

    Oh, I thought it is was spilled coffee

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2