320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM? - SGI

This is a discussion on 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM? - SGI ; Hello, just curious: which factors influenced Silicon Graphics decision to install IDE CD-ROMs even in their SCSI equipped 320/540 Visual Workstations? have a nice day markus...

  1. 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    Hello,

    just curious: which factors influenced Silicon Graphics decision to
    install IDE CD-ROMs even in their SCSI equipped 320/540 Visual Workstations?

    have a nice day
    markus

  2. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    Le Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:52:01 +0200, Markus Kummerer écrivait:

    > just curious: which factors influenced Silicon Graphics decision to
    > install IDE CD-ROMs even in their SCSI equipped 320/540 Visual Workstations?

    price?

    --
    L'Algérie était au bord du gouffre; aujourd'hui, elle a fait un grand
    pas en avant.

  3. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    Markus Kummerer wrote:

    > just curious: which factors influenced Silicon Graphics decision to
    > install IDE CD-ROMs even in their SCSI equipped 320/540 Visual
    > Workstations?

    Contrary question: why not? IDE CDROM's are much cheaper than SCSI drives,
    there are much more IDE models than SCSI models available, and there is no
    performance difference between an IDE CDROM and an SCSI CDROM. IDE CDROM's
    are also in use by otherwise SCSI-bound systems like Servers or
    Unix-Workstations (i.e. HP Bxxx/Cxxx/Jxxx), simply because SCSI isn't the
    better option in this case...

    Thanks god SGI at least gave the SGI320/540 IDE. If I would have been forced
    to SCSI for CDROM I certainly would have thrown out my SGI320 long ago. With
    IDE, I can use the bulk of cheap drives available for this interface...

    Benjamin

  4. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    Hello again,

    Benjamin Gawert schrieb:
    > Markus Kummerer wrote:
    >

    >>just curious: which factors influenced Silicon Graphics decision to
    >>install IDE CD-ROMs even in their SCSI equipped 320/540 Visual
    >>Workstations?

    > Contrary question: why not? IDE CDROM's are much cheaper than SCSI drives,
    > there are much more IDE models than SCSI models available, and there is no
    > performance difference between an IDE CDROM and an SCSI CDROM. IDE CDROM's
    > are also in use by otherwise SCSI-bound systems like Servers or
    > Unix-Workstations (i.e. HP Bxxx/Cxxx/Jxxx), simply because SCSI isn't the
    > better option in this case...

    If this thesis holds, why do they use SCSI DVD drives in desktop Tezros?

    Looking from a design point of view, IMHO a SCSI CD-ROM solution would
    have been more favourable for 320/540s, because mixing interfaces is not
    the best option, IMO. I personally can not imagine, that price
    differences drove the decision.

    > Thanks god SGI at least gave the SGI320/540 IDE. If I would have been forced
    > to SCSI for CDROM I certainly would have thrown out my SGI320 long ago. With
    > IDE, I can use the bulk of cheap drives available for this interface...

    IMHO, a IDE interface is okay for the 320, especially for the entry
    level machines. Notice, I did not suggest that they should have left out
    the IDE interface completely.

    greetings
    markus

  5. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    Markus Kummerer wrote:

    > If this thesis holds, why do they use SCSI DVD drives in desktop
    > Tezros?

    Who knows? Maybe because there are no IDE drivers within IRIX, so an IDE
    CDROM would be quite useless unless SGI would provide some drivers which
    would be much more expensive than what IDE would save them...

    > Looking from a design point of view, IMHO a SCSI CD-ROM solution would
    > have been more favourable for 320/540s, because mixing interfaces is
    > not the best option, IMO.

    Then mixing SCSI with Fibre Channel would be the same bad decision? Mixing
    interfaces is absolutely no problem...

    > I personally can not imagine, that price
    > differences drove the decision.

    Look at the prices for SCSI drives and the prices for IDE drives. Then look
    on how many manufacturers still produce SCSI CDROM's and DVDROM's. That
    should be clearly visible...

    > IMHO, a IDE interface is okay for the 320, especially for the entry
    > level machines.

    IDE is also ok for a supercomputer if You use it for a CDROM/DVDROM, simply
    because it's more than enough for the task of reading CD's and DVD's. There
    is absolutely no benefit to have an SCSI CDROM/DVDROM...

    Benjamin

  6. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    In article <3F718085.80404@student.tuwien.ac.at>,
    Markus Kummerer wrote:

    : I personally can not imagine, that price
    : differences drove the decision.

    Just for reference, the current retail prices are roughly as follows:

    SCSI DVD-ROM: $120
    ATA DVD-ROM: $30

    I don't know about you, but I don't mind SGI cutting costs in places that don't
    really matter. Heck, I don't think I've ever stuck anything but an OS CD into
    any of my SGIs, and I sure don't need SCSI for that.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  7. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    > + On 24-Sep-03 19:21:54
    +Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote

    >Just for reference, the current retail prices are roughly as follows:

    >SCSI DVD-ROM: $120
    >ATA DVD-ROM: $30

    >I don't know about you, but I don't mind SGI cutting costs in places that
    >don't really matter. Heck, I don't think I've ever stuck anything but an OS
    >CD into any of my SGIs, and I sure don't need SCSI for that.

    How about the cost of putting the IDE-interface there ? ..sure,
    if the machine would have IDE anyway it would be ok, but if the IDE
    is there just to be able to use a cheaper CDROM its pretty stupid.

    --
    ___ | Email «» Shauni@bay-watch.com
    / __\ __ | Homepage «» http://www.canit.se/~glenn

  8. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    In news:968.398T156T10910956Glenn@canit.se, Glenn wrote:

    > but if the IDE is there just to be able to use a cheaper CDROM
    > its pretty stupid.

    If you'll recall the low-spec 320s came with an IDE hard disk drive.
    The CDROM is not the only reason that the 320 sports IDE.

    But, IMO, keeping it all SCSI is much more elegant.

    Chris

    --
    #include
    cm007i@hotmail.com

  9. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    Glenn wrote:

    > How about the cost of putting the IDE-interface there ? ..sure,
    > if the machine would have IDE anyway it would be ok, but if the IDE
    > is there just to be able to use a cheaper CDROM its pretty stupid.

    Not necessarily. IDE controller IC's are dirty cheap, and at a certain
    number of sold systems the per-system-costs of implementing IDE just for the
    CDROM are becoming lower than the additional costs a SCSI drive would have
    brought...

    That's why even Servers which still use SCSI disks use IDE for the CDROM.
    It's cheaper...

    Benjamin

  10. Re: 320/540: Why a IDE CD-ROM?

    > + On 26-Sep-03 01:50:17
    + <<> wrote

    >> but if the IDE is there just to be able to use a cheaper CDROM
    >> its pretty stupid.

    >If you'll recall the low-spec 320s came with an IDE hard disk drive.

    I can't I never even seen one of SGI's x86-based machines.. I guess
    they sold extremly few of them here in Sweden, I never even heard about
    anyone that ever bought one of them here..

    >The CDROM is not the only reason that the 320 sports IDE.

    Then it's ok IMHO..

    >But, IMO, keeping it all SCSI is much more elegant.

    Well, SCSI is better, but it costs more.. if you put both interfaces there
    you can let the customer use wich one he like..

    --
    ___ | Email «» Shauni@bay-watch.com
    / __\ __ | Homepage «» http://www.canit.se/~glenn
    __ / /__ / /__ ____ ____ __ | IRC «» XT600 @ IRC-net
    (__/ /_ // / -_) _ ) _ )__) | Amiga - Silicon Graphics - 8bit comps.
    \___//_/\__/_//_/_//_/ | T h e K i n g d o m o f S w e d e n

+ Reply to Thread