creating IRIX CDs - SGI

This is a discussion on creating IRIX CDs - SGI ; Hello, I Am new to SGI. I Downloaded IRIX 6.5.17m from supprot.sgi.com I Want to make a fresh install from the CDs so I need to boot from the first CD of four. For doing it I need mkisofs, but ...

  1. creating IRIX CDs

    Hello,
    I Am new to SGI.
    I Downloaded IRIX 6.5.17m from supprot.sgi.com
    I Want to make a fresh install from the CDs so I need to boot from the first
    CD of four.
    For doing it I need mkisofs, but there is no mkisofs in the freeware
    SGI section so I don't know how to find it... I don't have the compiler
    so I Can't even compile it.
    Could someone send me a static binary of mkisofs ??

    thank u very much

    Rick

  2. Re: creating IRIX CDs

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:

    : Hello,
    : I Am new to SGI.
    : I Downloaded IRIX 6.5.17m from supprot.sgi.com
    : I Want to make a fresh install from the CDs so I need to boot from the first
    : CD of four.
    : For doing it I need mkisofs, but there is no mkisofs in the freeware
    : SGI section so I don't know how to find it... I don't have the compiler
    : so I Can't even compile it.
    : Could someone send me a static binary of mkisofs ??
    :
    : thank u very much
    :
    : Rick
    :

    You can't:

    a) boot an SGI from an iso9660 filesystem
    b) install a complete system from only the upgrade overlays

    You need the base 6.5 CDs to install IRIX. They are unforunatley not available
    for free.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  3. Re: creating IRIX CDs

    Rick wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I Am new to SGI.
    > I Downloaded IRIX 6.5.17m from supprot.sgi.com
    > I Want to make a fresh install from the CDs so I need to boot from the first
    > CD of four.
    > For doing it I need mkisofs, but there is no mkisofs in the freeware
    > SGI section so I don't know how to find it... I don't have the compiler
    > so I Can't even compile it.

    mkisofs is part of cdrtools 2.x, but it won't help you.
    This script may mork, but I haven't tried it:
    http://sigbus.nove.bg/pool/irix/CDR/mkefs

    If you want to do things by hand, I've described the process
    of making bootable IRIX CDs here:
    http://www.nekochan.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=885

    You'll still need the IRIX Foundation CDs 1 & 2, and, if you want
    to install a compiler, additionally the Developer Foundation and
    Developer Libraries CDs.

    rainer

+ Reply to Thread