Converting mediarecorder temp files - SGI

This is a discussion on Converting mediarecorder temp files - SGI ; Is there any way to convert a mediarecorder temp file into a playable movie? I've captured some stuff from using the video input on an o2, using the "Cross-Production Video JPEG" setting in mediarecorder (yeah yeah i know, "use dmrecord" ...

  1. Converting mediarecorder temp files

    Is there any way to convert a mediarecorder temp file into
    a playable movie?

    I've captured some stuff from using the video input on an
    o2, using the "Cross-Production Video JPEG" setting in
    mediarecorder (yeah yeah i know, "use dmrecord" - i haven't
    found any settings that i'm completely happy with).

    The recording was a lot longer than expected.. realising
    that it was going to run out of disk pretty quickly during
    the post-processing, i STOP'd the process and copied the
    temp file to a different system.

    dmconvert and mediaconvert choke on it, but i figure that's
    because i have NFI what i'm doing. `Playing' the file shows
    the (horizontally-stretched) first image, but nothing beyond.

    Is this 12Gb file a waste of space?

    --

  2. Re: Converting mediarecorder temp files

    whotookmyaccount@yahoo.com.au (bikeless) wrote:
    > Is there any way to convert a mediarecorder temp file into
    > a playable movie?

    No idea, but ya never know...

    > I've captured some stuff from using the video input on an
    > o2, using the "Cross-Production Video JPEG" setting in

    Cross production?... I just use PAL or NTSC and leave it at that.

    > mediarecorder (yeah yeah i know, "use dmrecord" - i haven't
    > found any settings that i'm completely happy with).

    Ach, yes, dmrecord is more efficient, but mediarecorder works
    fine (btw, I asias it to 'mr', 'cos I'm lazy

    QuickTime SGI JPEG full-size full-rate split-field constant bit
    rate, no problem every time. Or for PC compatibility, use MJPEG-A,
    then have a PC with PIC JPEG codec, RAD Video Tools, DrDivX, Virtual
    Dub and TMPGEnc. Works a treat! If you want an example, check my
    advert site which shows an O2 for sale. There's a movie for download
    (not yet mentioned by the page) which I captured using my O2 and
    then converted to DivX using my PIII/500 laptop. Here's a direct
    link:

    http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights....t/o2movie1.avi

    (you'll need a PC or other platform with the latest DivX codec to
    play it of course)

    I've made an MPEG1 version for SGI users, but I won't be able to
    upload that until next week (dumn 28k dialup).

    Btw, using the above settings on a Cosmo1 Indigo2, I captured ALL of
    Phantom Menace, over 2 hours full-size/rate PAL, without a single
    frame drop.

    NOTE: when using MJPEG-A, the 'live' update smoothness isn't as good
    during capture, and the post-processing is slower, but it will still
    do it without frame drops. I guess it's currently optimised for
    SGI JPEG. Note that it helps if the signal is clean. A disruptied
    video signal will cause frame drops.

    MEGA TIP: use IRIX 6.5.15m. Later releases have bugs. Yeah, yeah,
    I'll write a page on all this at some point... lemme move house
    first.

    > dmconvert and mediaconvert choke on it, but i figure that's
    > because i have NFI what i'm doing. `Playing' the file shows
    > the (horizontally-stretched) first image, but nothing beyond.
    >
    > Is this 12Gb file a waste of space?

    Is it possible to import it into moviemaker?

    Cheers!

    Ian.

    SGI Depot: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/advert/ian.html
    Email: mapesdhs@yahoo.com
    Mobile: 07743 495403 (usually off; leave a message and I'll call back)

    SGI/Future Technology/N64: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/
    Doom Help Service (DHS): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/
    BSc Dissertation (Doom): http://www.gamers.org/dhs/diss/

  3. Re: Converting mediarecorder temp files

    Ian Mapleson wrote:

    > QuickTime SGI JPEG full-size full-rate split-field constant bit
    > rate, no problem every time. Or for PC compatibility, use MJPEG-A,
    > then have a PC with PIC JPEG codec,

    or just use Quicktime Pro

    > NOTE: when using MJPEG-A, the 'live' update smoothness isn't as good
    > during capture, and the post-processing is slower, but it will still
    > do it without frame drops.

    what do you mean with "live update"?

    > I guess it's currently optimised for
    > SGI JPEG.

    Interesting - I didn't see any performance differences whether I was
    using MJPEG-A or SGI JPEG.

    > Note that it helps if the signal is clean. A disruptied
    > video signal will cause frame drops.

    yep.

    > MEGA TIP: use IRIX 6.5.15m. Later releases have bugs. Yeah, yeah,
    > I'll write a page on all this at some point... lemme move house
    > first.

    no, I wanna know that now

    Cheers
    Andreas

  4. Re: Converting mediarecorder temp files

    Andreas Backhaus wrote:
    > or just use Quicktime Pro

    Oh haha.

    > what do you mean with "live update"?

    I mean when it's recording, watching what it's recording in the window.
    With SGI JPEG, this is pretty smooth (with Cosmo it's flawless), but
    with MJPEGA it's a bit jerky, though it doesn't affect the recording.

    > Interesting - I didn't see any performance differences whether I was
    > using MJPEG-A or SGI JPEG.

    I definitely see a slower post processing when using MJPEGA.

    > no, I wanna know that now

    Hmmm, ok, lemme see, suspend house move, spend 2 months writing page,
    wasted prepaid rent, cancelled sales, pi$$ed off gf, etc... yes, the
    fee would be around $15K - you got that much? ;D

    Other tip for all & sundry: turn off mediad and the webserver when doing
    stuff, and always do it as root. Oh, and when you're grabbing from a
    PAL source, change the monitor to 50Hz. Similarly use 60Hz for NTSC grab.
    Ditto for playback.

    I know there's 75Hz, but I'm not that keen on the idea; not an even
    divider, etc.

    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread