Installing IRIX from tape. - SGI

This is a discussion on Installing IRIX from tape. - SGI ; Does anyone know how I could install IRIX from a single tape? Is there a way to dump all nine CD's to tape and magically install it that way? I do a lot of "experimenting" on my five machines, and ...

  1. Installing IRIX from tape.

    Does anyone know how I could install IRIX from a single tape? Is
    there a way to dump all nine CD's to tape and magically install it
    that way?

    I do a lot of "experimenting" on my five machines, and sometimes it
    gets to the point where I've gone too far and have trashed the OS. So
    it would be nice to just set it up and walk away and let the tape
    drive do all the work.

    I looked around on TechPubs and Google but didn't find much of
    anything, except how to create a 'boot tape filesystem'. Which I'm
    sure is just one piece of the puzzle.

    Anyway, I have 6.5.8 CD's, and a Seagate DDS-3 drive, which works fine
    with all my machines.

    Any guidance would be much appreciated.

    -Todd

  2. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    "Todd G." wrote:

    > Does anyone know how I could install IRIX from a single tape? Is
    > there a way to dump all nine CD's to tape and magically install it
    > that way?
    >
    > I do a lot of "experimenting" on my five machines, and sometimes it
    > gets to the point where I've gone too far and have trashed the OS. So
    > it would be nice to just set it up and walk away and let the tape
    > drive do all the work.
    >
    > I looked around on TechPubs and Google but didn't find much of
    > anything, except how to create a 'boot tape filesystem'. Which I'm
    > sure is just one piece of the puzzle.
    >
    > Anyway, I have 6.5.8 CD's, and a Seagate DDS-3 drive, which works fine
    > with all my machines.
    >
    > Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    >
    > -Todd

    i made a bootable install tape with 'distcp' (i think) for a 3.3.2
    system.
    but what you really want to do, is dump all the cd's to disk, and install
    over the network
    with 'inst', using the open command for each cd (or make monster dist
    directory with
    ln's to every file in all your cd's) this is what i do. you type 10
    command, and come
    back later, all done!

  3. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    In article <3F67F8F8.C2F111EB@mrnutty.com>,
    SkyWriter wrote:
    >i made a bootable install tape with 'distcp' (i think) for a 3.3.2
    >system.

    Hehe. Those were the days...

    >but what you really want to do, is dump all the cd's to disk, and install
    >over the network
    >with 'inst',

    This works quite well.

    Also note that the man page for mkboottape claims that booting from tape
    is no longer supported.

    --
    David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

  4. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    David Evans wrote:

    > In article <3F67F8F8.C2F111EB@mrnutty.com>,
    > SkyWriter wrote:
    > >i made a bootable install tape with 'distcp' (i think) for a 3.3.2
    > >system.

    > Hehe. Those were the days...
    >
    > >but what you really want to do, is dump all the cd's to disk, and install
    > >over the network
    > >with 'inst',

    > This works quite well.
    >
    > Also note that the man page for mkboottape claims that booting from tape
    > is no longer supported.

    one reason to keep the old stuff around :-)

    > --
    > David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    > Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    > University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    > Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  5. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    SkyWriter wrote in message news:<3F67F8F8.C2F111EB@mrnutty.com>...
    > "Todd G." wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know how I could install IRIX from a single tape? Is
    > > there a way to dump all nine CD's to tape and magically install it
    > > that way?
    > >
    > > I do a lot of "experimenting" on my five machines, and sometimes it
    > > gets to the point where I've gone too far and have trashed the OS. So
    > > it would be nice to just set it up and walk away and let the tape
    > > drive do all the work.
    > >
    > > I looked around on TechPubs and Google but didn't find much of
    > > anything, except how to create a 'boot tape filesystem'. Which I'm
    > > sure is just one piece of the puzzle.
    > >
    > > Anyway, I have 6.5.8 CD's, and a Seagate DDS-3 drive, which works fine
    > > with all my machines.
    > >
    > > Any guidance would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > -Todd

    > i made a bootable install tape with 'distcp' (i think) for a 3.3.2
    > system.
    > but what you really want to do, is dump all the cd's to disk, and install
    > over the network
    > with 'inst', using the open command for each cd (or make monster dist
    > directory with
    > ln's to every file in all your cd's) this is what i do. you type 10
    > command, and come
    > back later, all done!

    So if I put the contents of the dist directories from each CD into a
    single folder, then at inst I would only have to do "2. open
    [source...]" just once?

    If so, would I also have to put all the /dist/dist6.5 in their
    respective folders too? What about the other misc folders and files
    on the CD's?

    And I assume I would have to have a DHCP server running for the
    installation computer to be able to find the shared folder on the
    'mega-dist' computer. Is that right?

    On a side note, do any of you use Maya?

  6. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    In article <25911daf.0309171910.18c755b6@posting.google.com>,
    Todd G. wrote:

    >So if I put the contents of the dist directories from each CD into a
    >single folder, then at inst I would only have to do "2. open
    >[source...]" just once?

    Right.

    >If so, would I also have to put all the /dist/dist6.5 in their
    >respective folders too? What about the other misc folders and files
    >on the CD's?

    Errr...I'm not too sure about that, actually. Presumably you would need
    to get the inst packages all in one directory. Of course you would also
    have to address any conflicts that arise.

    >And I assume I would have to have a DHCP server running for the
    >installation computer to be able to find the shared folder on the
    >'mega-dist' computer. Is that right?

    Yes. You need DHCP and something running tftp.

    --
    David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  7. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    David Evans wrote:

    > In article <25911daf.0309171910.18c755b6@posting.google.com>,
    > Todd G. wrote:
    > >
    > >So if I put the contents of the dist directories from each CD into a
    > >single folder, then at inst I would only have to do "2. open
    > >[source...]" just once?
    > >

    > Right.
    >
    > >If so, would I also have to put all the /dist/dist6.5 in their
    > >respective folders too? What about the other misc folders and files
    > >on the CD's?
    > >

    > Errr...I'm not too sure about that, actually. Presumably you would need
    > to get the inst packages all in one directory. Of course you would also
    > have to address any conflicts that arise.
    >
    > >And I assume I would have to have a DHCP server running for the
    > >installation computer to be able to find the shared folder on the
    > >'mega-dist' computer. Is that right?
    > >

    > Yes. You need DHCP and something running tftp.

    you don't need dhcp, you can set netaddr prom env.

    > --
    > David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    > Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    > University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    > Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  8. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    SkyWriter wrote in message news:<3F69E3BB.E4DDB25D@mrnutty.com>...
    > David Evans wrote:
    >
    > > In article <25911daf.0309171910.18c755b6@posting.google.com>,
    > > Todd G. wrote:
    > > >
    > > >So if I put the contents of the dist directories from each CD into a
    > > >single folder, then at inst I would only have to do "2. open
    > > >[source...]" just once?
    > > >

    > > Right.
    > >
    > > >If so, would I also have to put all the /dist/dist6.5 in their
    > > >respective folders too? What about the other misc folders and files
    > > >on the CD's?
    > > >

    > > Errr...I'm not too sure about that, actually. Presumably you would need
    > > to get the inst packages all in one directory. Of course you would also
    > > have to address any conflicts that arise.
    > >
    > > >And I assume I would have to have a DHCP server running for the
    > > >installation computer to be able to find the shared folder on the
    > > >'mega-dist' computer. Is that right?
    > > >

    > > Yes. You need DHCP and something running tftp.
    > >

    > you don't need dhcp, you can set netaddr prom env.
    >

    > > --
    > > David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    > > Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    > > University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    > > Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

    Thank you for the input everyone. It has definitely pointed me in the
    right direction.

    Just for the hell of it, here's my website with info and pictures of
    my sgi machines.

    http://www.invalidnormalarray.com/sgi/index.htm

  9. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    In article <25911daf.0309191909.397d86f8@posting.google.com>,
    Todd G. wrote:
    >Just for the hell of it, here's my website with info and pictures of
    >my sgi machines.
    >
    >http://www.invalidnormalarray.com/sgi/index.htm

    Heh--you're also missing the bezel for your O2's power supply, eh? Isn't
    it annoying how they go missing?

    BTW, Tezro is the best looking high end desktop yet, I think.
    Indigo2 and Octane were both ugly. Tezro takes up a ludicrous amount
    of space, but looks really stylish doing it.

    --
    David Evans (NeXTMail/MIME OK) dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
    University of Waterloo "Default is the value selected by the composer
    Ontario, Canada overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

  10. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 03:29:16 +0000 (UTC), David Evans wrote:
    > Heh--you're also missing the bezel for your O2's power supply, eh? Isn't
    > it annoying how they go missing?

    Missing/broken plastics must be a unique design feature of SGI
    systems.

    > BTW, Tezro is the best looking high end desktop yet, I think.
    > Indigo2 and Octane were both ugly. Tezro takes up a ludicrous amount
    > of space, but looks really stylish doing it.

    With some time I've come to like both Indigo 2 and Octane. I need
    to see a Tezro in real life to have a real comparison.

    Gerhard

  11. Re: Installing IRIX from tape.

    dfevans@bcr10.uwaterloo.ca (David Evans) wrote in message news:...
    > In article <25911daf.0309191909.397d86f8@posting.google.com>,
    > Todd G. wrote:
    > >Just for the hell of it, here's my website with info and pictures of
    > >my sgi machines.
    > >
    > >http://www.invalidnormalarray.com/sgi/index.htm

    > Heh--you're also missing the bezel for your O2's power supply, eh? Isn't
    > it annoying how they go missing?
    >
    > BTW, Tezro is the best looking high end desktop yet, I think.
    > Indigo2 and Octane were both ugly. Tezro takes up a ludicrous amount
    > of space, but looks really stylish doing it.

    That bezel was being held on by a piece of tape when the system
    arrived. It's in a landfill now.

    I've yet to see a Tezro in person. But I like what I see in the
    pictures so far. Especially the big cube logo right in the middle.
    The only one I haven't liked so far is the Fuel. Mainly because it
    looks similar a PC both inside and out.

+ Reply to Thread