compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app - SGI

This is a discussion on compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app - SGI ; Hi, I'm an new to irix and I have been asked to build an application binary that should run on any irix 6.5 capable system My question is what compiler switches should i use ? From browsing the web I've ...

  1. compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app

    Hi,
    I'm an new to irix and I have been asked to
    build an application binary that should run on any
    irix 6.5 capable system
    My question is what compiler switches should i use ?
    From browsing the web I've learnt that irix 6.5
    require at least R4000 CPU
    That lead me to believe that I could use the -mips4 switch
    but if I run the file command on any of the system binaries
    in my irix 6.5 system it says the binary is -mips3
    so I'm confused.

    /leif

  2. Re: compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app

    In article <7iI9b.113410$GK.556@news2.bredband.com>,
    Leif Thuresson wrote:
    :I'm an new to irix and I have been asked to
    :build an application binary that should run on any
    :irix 6.5 capable system
    :My question is what compiler switches should i use ?
    :From browsing the web I've learnt that irix 6.5
    :require at least R4000 CPU
    :That lead me to believe that I could use the -mips4 switch

    Re-read man mips4 and notice that it is not supported on R4000
    or R4400. You need mips3 if you want to support older Indy,
    Indigo^2, Crimson, and Challenge/Onyx.
    --
    WW{Backus,Church,Dijkstra,Knuth,Hollerith,Turing,v onNeumann}D ?

  3. Re: compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Leif Thuresson wrote:

    > I'm an new to irix and I have been asked to
    > build an application binary that should run on any
    > irix 6.5 capable system
    > My question is what compiler switches should i use ?
    > From browsing the web I've learnt that irix 6.5
    > require at least R4000 CPU
    > That lead me to believe that I could use the -mips4 switch
    > but if I run the file command on any of the system binaries
    > in my irix 6.5 system it says the binary is -mips3
    > so I'm confused.

    The R4000 chip does not support the MIPS IV instruction set,
    only the MIPS III set. And obviously you'll need to make
    the application 32-bit instead of 64-bit. All processors
    supported by 6.5 can run -n32 binaries, and for performance
    reasons I very much recommend those over -o32 binaries.

    Otherwise, a good starting place for your education on this
    issue might be to go to http://techpubs.sgi.com and do
    a search for "IRIX 6.5 application compatibiity". The first
    document, titled "The Mandate of Application Compatibiity
    in SGI IRIX 6.5", will be quite useful to you. In particular
    you will learn how to properly do run-time tests for features
    that were added in later IRIX 6.5 releases, and the specifics
    of exactly what things are guaranteed to be compatible across
    releases.

    That said, if you take advantage of SGI's software packager,
    you could very well compile your application optimized for
    different platforms, and let the software manager programs
    take care of installing the right one for each system. Go
    to Techpubs and search for "software packaging", and read
    the first document presented, "Software Packager User's
    Guide".

    I hope the helps,
    Brent Casavant

    --
    Brent Casavant bcasavan@sgi.com Forget bright-eyed and
    Operating System Engineer http://www.sgi.com/ bushy-tailed; I'm red-

  4. Re: compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app

    Thanks,
    After your input and reading
    > http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...html/ch03.html

    I'm starting to get the picture

    /Leif

    Brent Casavant wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Leif Thuresson wrote:
    >

    >>I'm an new to irix and I have been asked to
    >>build an application binary that should run on any
    >>irix 6.5 capable system
    >>My question is what compiler switches should i use ?
    >> From browsing the web I've learnt that irix 6.5
    >>require at least R4000 CPU
    >>That lead me to believe that I could use the -mips4 switch
    >>but if I run the file command on any of the system binaries
    >>in my irix 6.5 system it says the binary is -mips3
    >>so I'm confused.

    > The R4000 chip does not support the MIPS IV instruction set,
    > only the MIPS III set. And obviously you'll need to make
    > the application 32-bit instead of 64-bit. All processors
    > supported by 6.5 can run -n32 binaries, and for performance
    > reasons I very much recommend those over -o32 binaries.
    >
    > Otherwise, a good starting place for your education on this
    > issue might be to go to http://techpubs.sgi.com and do
    > a search for "IRIX 6.5 application compatibiity". The first
    > document, titled "The Mandate of Application Compatibiity
    > in SGI IRIX 6.5", will be quite useful to you. In particular
    > you will learn how to properly do run-time tests for features
    > that were added in later IRIX 6.5 releases, and the specifics
    > of exactly what things are guaranteed to be compatible across
    > releases.
    >
    > That said, if you take advantage of SGI's software packager,
    > you could very well compile your application optimized for
    > different platforms, and let the software manager programs
    > take care of installing the right one for each system. Go
    > to Techpubs and search for "software packaging", and read
    > the first document presented, "Software Packager User's
    > Guide".
    >
    > I hope the helps,
    > Brent Casavant

  5. Re: compiling an irix 6.5 compatible app

    Leif Thuresson wrote:
    > Thanks,
    > After your input and reading
    >> http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/...html/ch03.html

    > I'm starting to get the picture

    > /Leif

    > Brent Casavant wrote:

    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Leif Thuresson wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm an new to irix and I have been asked to
    >>>build an application binary that should run on any
    >>>irix 6.5 capable system
    >>>My question is what compiler switches should i use ?
    >>> From browsing the web I've learnt that irix 6.5
    >>>require at least R4000 CPU
    >>>That lead me to believe that I could use the -mips4 switch
    >>>but if I run the file command on any of the system binaries
    >>>in my irix 6.5 system it says the binary is -mips3
    >>>so I'm confused.

    >> The R4000 chip does not support the MIPS IV instruction set,
    >> only the MIPS III set. And obviously you'll need to make
    >> the application 32-bit instead of 64-bit. All processors
    >> supported by 6.5 can run -n32 binaries, and for performance
    >> reasons I very much recommend those over -o32 binaries.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, a good starting place for your education on this
    >> issue might be to go to http://techpubs.sgi.com and do
    >> a search for "IRIX 6.5 application compatibiity". The first
    >> document, titled "The Mandate of Application Compatibiity
    >> in SGI IRIX 6.5", will be quite useful to you. In particular
    >> you will learn how to properly do run-time tests for features
    >> that were added in later IRIX 6.5 releases, and the specifics
    >> of exactly what things are guaranteed to be compatible across
    >> releases.
    >>
    >> That said, if you take advantage of SGI's software packager,
    >> you could very well compile your application optimized for
    >> different platforms, and let the software manager programs
    >> take care of installing the right one for each system. Go
    >> to Techpubs and search for "software packaging", and read
    >> the first document presented, "Software Packager User's
    >> Guide".
    >>
    >> I hope the helps,
    >> Brent Casavant

    Well said Brent.