Re: Capture SGI startup image - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Capture SGI startup image - SGI ; In article , Bjorn Ljungdahl writes: > Hello, > > I've seen images on the internet (don't remember > where) where it seem like the startup image > of for example an Indigo has been captured. > > Is that ...

  1. Re: Capture SGI startup image

    In article ,
    Bjorn Ljungdahl writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've seen images on the internet (don't remember
    > where) where it seem like the startup image
    > of for example an Indigo has been captured.
    >
    > Is that image stored somewhere in ROM or in
    > IRIX or somewhere else?
    > Can it be captured or extracted and saved as
    > a file?
    > If there are different ways for different SGI's
    > I'm interested to hear them all :-)

    if you mean the PROM (the stuff with the menus), then
    NO - it's not stored completely as image.
    The screen is constructed dynamically.
    (for example if diskless=1 there's no 'Install Software' option)
    also - the layout is dependent on the screen's resolution.

    and then finally the product logo --- that's indeed a bitmap,
    but the shadow is generated 'on the fly' ...
    So esp. at those machines with a real EPROM - there's no way to
    capture the screen except with a camera ;-)

    The same applies BTW to sounds.
    Some are AIFF files compiled into the PROM (Indy),
    but the newer machines like O2, Octane generate the sound via an algorithm...

    wolfgang

  2. Re: Capture SGI startup image

    Wolfgang Szoecs wrote:
    [...]
    > and then finally the product logo --- that's indeed a bitmap,
    > but the shadow is generated 'on the fly' ...
    > So esp. at those machines with a real EPROM - there's no way to
    > capture the screen except with a camera ;-)

    Isn't that accessible anywhere in the address space after the kernel
    started? If one knew the address, wouldn't it be possible to construct a
    statically linked program to be run via sash or installed in the volume
    header that just read the eprom? (It would probably be easier to take
    out the eprom and read it with a burner)

    > The same applies BTW to sounds.
    > Some are AIFF files compiled into the PROM (Indy),
    > but the newer machines like O2, Octane generate the sound via an algorithm...

    That can't be too hard to capture, at least on the machines that come
    with digital output. I've heard the startup chime via the SP/DIF on
    my power indigo^2 at least once, so in theory, one should be able to
    capture these flawlessly with a DAT deck, another SGI or other digital
    recorders.

    Rainer

  3. Re: Capture SGI startup image

    Rainer Canavan wrote:
    > Wolfgang Szoecs wrote:
    > [...]
    >> and then finally the product logo --- that's indeed a bitmap,
    >> but the shadow is generated 'on the fly' ...
    >> So esp. at those machines with a real EPROM - there's no way to
    >> capture the screen except with a camera ;-)

    I was the one who extracted the bitmaps from the EEPROM's and Flash PROM's
    Great fun. It is a bottom-up rle encoding of a B/W bitmap, and sofar
    i have been able to get Indy Indigo1 O2 Octane Fuel and InfiniteReality
    logos this way. All the other elements like the "Welcome to" and menu icons
    are bitmaps as well, so you can try to reconstruct such a boot image.

    > Isn't that accessible anywhere in the address space after the kernel
    > started? If one knew the address, wouldn't it be possible to construct a
    > statically linked program to be run via sash or installed in the volume
    > header that just read the eprom? (It would probably be easier to take
    > out the eprom and read it with a burner)

    Exactly, and for newer systems there are Flashrom image, so you can have a look at them

    >> The same applies BTW to sounds.
    >> Some are AIFF files compiled into the PROM (Indy),

    Actually they are 32kHz ADPCM Quicktime-like encoding but with nibbles
    reversed, courtesy of BigEndian(TM)

    >> but the newer machines like O2, Octane generate the sound via an algorithm...

    Haven't figured that one out yet

    Oh BTW they changed the encoding for the latest machines. So no Tezro logo

    --
    drs Frank Everdij Email:F.Everdij@citg.tudelft.nl Tel:01527-88202 Room:6.08
    System Administrator for Structural Mechanics

  4. Re: Capture SGI startup image

    In article ,
    Frank Everdij writes:

    > Oh BTW they changed the encoding for the latest machines. So no Tezro logo

    nope - still the same format as before.
    and I was the one who made those logos....

    Wolfgang

+ Reply to Thread