So, I have this machine I administer remotely. It's a Origin 200
machine running IRIX 6.5.8 ...

Now, according to the on-site operators, who have access to the
console, it gave a message about "too many overtemperature interrupts"
upon bootup. On top of this. if we go to the System Menu and try to,
say, load system software (like the OS), it kernel panics right beofre
it invokes "inst", and reboots, so you can never get into inst.

Should I be concerned about this? Is the CPU going bad? Or will this
not impact the operation of the machine? Do the PROMs need to be
updated or something?

As an additional complication, this machine is located at the McMurdo
facility on the South Pole. So getting parts there is going to be
difficult.

Below is some "hinv" info for the morbidly curious, in case it
helps...

southpole 1% hinv -vt cpu
CPU: MIPS R12000 Processor Chip Revision: 3.5
CPU 0 at Module 1/Slot 1/Slice A: 360 Mhz MIPS R12000 Processor Chip
(enabled)
Processor revision: 3.5. Secondary cache: Size 4 MB Speed 240 Mhz
CPU 1 at Module 1/Slot 1/Slice B: 360 Mhz MIPS R12000 Processor Chip
(enabled)
Processor revision: 3.5. Secondary cache: Size 4 MB Speed 240 Mhz
southpole 2% hinv -vc memory
Main memory size: 512 Mbytes
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 4 Mbytes
Memory at Module 1/Slot 1: 512 MB (enabled)
Bank 0 contains 256 MB (Standard) DIMMS (enabled)
Bank 1 contains 256 MB (Standard) DIMMS (enabled)