irix 6.5 nis problem - SGI

This is a discussion on irix 6.5 nis problem - SGI ; Hi! We have little trouble to getting a nis client running properly on our irix 6.5 machines (octane, indigo2, indy): the nis server is a redhat 7.3 and is up and running, all other clients (linux boxes, hp-ux 11, aix, ...

  1. irix 6.5 nis problem

    Hi!

    We have little trouble to getting a nis client running properly on our
    irix 6.5 machines (octane, indigo2, indy):

    the nis server is a redhat 7.3 and is up and running, all other
    clients (linux boxes, hp-ux 11, aix, solaris machines) have no
    problems getting the desired data (passwd, group) from nis. all
    network is up and running, the irix machines can reach (ping, telnet)
    the server, and vice versa.

    for the nis setup, we followed the insructions on
    http://www.tu-darmstadt.de/hrz/unix/...t_prot6_5.html (its a
    german irix installing howto) with the following steps:
    chkconfig yp on
    set correct nis domain name in /var/yp/ypdomain
    added +:::::: to /etc/passwd
    added +::: to /etc/group
    changed the passwd and group line in /etc/nsswitch.conf to: files nis
    (we also tried: nis files; host is resolved via file dns)
    we rebooted the machine to activate nis (we also tried killall -HUP
    nsd)

    so, we thought everthing should be fine, but when a nis user tries to
    login, we just receive:
    unknown user id: name_of_nis_user

    does anybody know whats wrong??
    each hint is welcome!

    regards
    Alexander Haas

  2. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    Alexander Haas wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > We have little trouble to getting a nis client running properly on our
    > irix 6.5 machines (octane, indigo2, indy):
    >
    > the nis server is a redhat 7.3 and is up and running, all other
    > clients (linux boxes, hp-ux 11, aix, solaris machines) have no
    > problems getting the desired data (passwd, group) from nis. all
    > network is up and running, the irix machines can reach (ping, telnet)
    > the server, and vice versa.
    >
    > for the nis setup, we followed the insructions on
    > http://www.tu-darmstadt.de/hrz/unix/...t_prot6_5.html (its a
    > german irix installing howto) with the following steps:
    > chkconfig yp on
    > set correct nis domain name in /var/yp/ypdomain
    > added +:::::: to /etc/passwd

    shouldnīt that be
    +::-1:-1:::

    > added +::: to /etc/group

    (and something equivalent)

    > changed the passwd and group line in /etc/nsswitch.conf to: files nis
    > (we also tried: nis files; host is resolved via file dns)

    nis dns files ?

    > we rebooted the machine to activate nis (we also tried killall -HUP
    > nsd)
    >
    > so, we thought everthing should be fine, but when a nis user tries to
    > login, we just receive:
    > unknown user id: name_of_nis_user

    looks like what happens when thereīs no /etc/passwd.nis file on the yp
    server. Since your server runs no IRIX I canīt say whatīs going wrong.
    I tried the thing vice versa once - LINUX box slave and IRIX server.
    That didnīt work from scratch either (some software missing on slave),

    > does anybody know whats wrong??
    > each hint is welcome!
    >
    > regards
    > Alexander Haas

    Regards

    Walther

  3. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    In comp.unix.admin Alexander Haas wrote:
    > german irix installing howto) with the following steps:
    > chkconfig yp on
    > set correct nis domain name in /var/yp/ypdomain
    > added +:::::: to /etc/passwd
    > added +::: to /etc/group
    > changed the passwd and group line in /etc/nsswitch.conf to: files nis
    > (we also tried: nis files; host is resolved via file dns)
    > we rebooted the machine to activate nis (we also tried killall -HUP
    > nsd)
    >
    > so, we thought everthing should be fine, but when a nis user tries to
    > login, we just receive:
    > unknown user id: name_of_nis_user
    >
    > does anybody know whats wrong??
    > each hint is welcome!

    I don't know what's wrong (of course , but you can do a bit more
    debuging:
    * does "ypinit" give you the name of the NIS server?
    * does "ypcat passwd" show the server's passwd map?
    * does "finger find the user? if not, that's a nsswitch problem

    In general, I'd first use ypinit(1M) to setup the machine as NIS client
    ("ypinit -c"), not touch /etc/passwd or /etc/group, and only add nis to
    the "passwd" and "group" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Make sure shell and
    home-dir from the passwd file exist so the user can log in.

    - Hubert

    --
    ___ _ _ _ _ * Harddisk Image Cloning *
    / __| | || | | | www.feyrer.de/g4u/

  4. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    Hi!

    As first, thanks for your answer!

    Hubert Feyrer wrote in message news:...

    > I don't know what's wrong (of course , but you can do a bit more
    > debuging:
    > * does "ypinit" give you the name of the NIS server?

    well, I dont know if ypinit gives me the name of the server, but when
    I use ypinit to set up the nis database, I have to enter the server
    name; and when I call ypinit after this, it says
    Destination directory, /var/ns/domains/name_of_our_nis_domain, already
    exists.
    Can we remove it? [y/n]

    where name_of_our_nis_domain ist the right name of the domain which is
    hosted by the server. So I think this should be ok.

    > * does "ypcat passwd" show the server's passwd map?

    yes. It lists all of the expected nis users (also does ypcat group)

    > * does "finger find the user? if not, that's a nsswitch problem

    no :-((

    If its a nsswitch problem, I cant see it. We use the following
    nsswitch.conf:

    #automount(dynamic): nis(nis_enumerate_key)
    #bootparams: files nis
    capability: files
    clearance: files
    ethers: files
    group: nis files
    hosts: dns files
    mac: files
    mail(null_extend_key): ndbm(file=/etc/aliases)
    netgroup: nis
    #netid.byname: nis
    networks: files
    #passwd: files(compat) [notfound=return] nis
    passwd nis files
    protocols: files
    rpc: files
    services: files
    shadow(mode=0700): files
    #ypservers: nis
    jlimits: mdbm nis

    I think the passwd and group line are ok, but I am not sure about the
    ypservers line: I also tried
    ypservers nis
    and
    ypservers files nis
    (followed by a killall -HUP nsd)
    but nothing changes
    Can you tell me whats wrong?

    > In general, I'd first use ypinit(1M) to setup the machine as NIS client
    > ("ypinit -c"), not touch /etc/passwd or /etc/group, and only add nis to
    > the "passwd" and "group" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf. Make sure shell and
    > home-dir from the passwd file exist so the user can log in.

    Are you sure that I should not touch /etc/passwd and /etc/group? I
    think I have to add + (or +::::: there??

    regards
    Alexander Haas

    PS: I found some postings that mention that Linux NIS server -> SGI
    client may have crypt problems. Does anybody know something about
    this?
    (we do not use md5 passwords or shadowing)

  5. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    Walther Mathieu wrote in message news:<3F6429B9.4C4B11BD@in4tec.de>...

    > shouldnīt that be
    > +::-1:-1:::

    -1 to uid and gid?
    what does this mean?
    I cant find this in man 4 passwd.
    I tried out, but it doesnt change the behaviour ...

    > > added +::: to /etc/group

    > (and something equivalent)
    >
    > > changed the passwd and group line in /etc/nsswitch.conf to: files nis
    > > (we also tried: nis files; host is resolved via file dns)

    > nis dns files ?

    no , we do not use nis to share hosts, all names are resolved by dns.

    > looks like what happens when thereīs no /etc/passwd.nis file on the yp
    > server.

    but ypcat passwd on the slave (SGI) lists the expected users, and so
    does ypcat group. so I think the server sends the right data and the
    sgi receives it - but it does not find the way to the login command
    :-(

    Any other ideas?

    regards
    Alexander Haas

  6. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    Alexander Haas wrote:

    > set correct nis domain name in /var/yp/ypdomain
    > added +:::::: to /etc/passwd
    > added +::: to /etc/group

    That is only used if you have files(compat).

    > changed the passwd and group line in /etc/nsswitch.conf to: files nis

    OTOH, as it's missing the [notfound=return], that *should* be looking
    up anything not found in /etc/passwd, regardless of the "+" lines in
    /etc/passwd.

    As for the nsswitch.conf excerpt:

    #passwd: files(compat) [notfound=return] nis
    passwd nis files

    One line is missing a colon.

  7. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    Hi!

    thx a lot, this solved the problem

    Alexis Cousein wrote in message news:<3F65B675.5070900@brussels.sgi.com>...
    > OTOH, as it's missing the [notfound=return], that *should* be looking
    > up anything not found in /etc/passwd, regardless of the "+" lines in
    > /etc/passwd.
    >
    > As for the nsswitch.conf excerpt:
    >
    > #passwd: files(compat) [notfound=return] nis
    > passwd nis files

    i just commented the passwd nis files out and made the original
    passwd: files(compat) [notfound=return] nis
    active, now it works :-))))
    I think I changed this line during a time where the nis client itself
    was set up wrong (thx to walter for leading me to the right way), but
    caused by this wrong line in nsswitch.conf the login process was not
    able to access the nis data.

    thx to all who helped me solving this problem!

    regards
    Alexander Haas

  8. Re: irix 6.5 nis problem

    In comp.unix.admin Hubert Feyrer wrote:
    > * does "ypinit" give you the name of the NIS server?

    Argh, that was supposed to be "ypwhich"!

    - Hubert

    --
    ___ _ _ _ _ * Harddisk Image Cloning *
    / __| | || | | | www.feyrer.de/g4u/