root FS questions - SGI

This is a discussion on root FS questions - SGI ; I am new to IRIX so pardon me for ignorance. Is it possible to boot IRIX off of a root FS that is residing in some part of memory? Here are some boot messages that I am trying to understand: ...

  1. root FS questions

    I am new to IRIX so pardon me for ignorance.

    Is it possible to boot IRIX off of a root FS that is residing in some
    part of memory?
    Here are some boot messages that I am trying to understand:

    151 Buffers Configured
    16 Buffer Hash Buckets Configured
    Irix Release 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4 Ip32 Version 10210236 System V
    Copyright 1987-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved.
    Total Real Memory = 8192 Kbytes
    Cpu Frequency = 4mhz
    Sd1s0: 3900 Blocks At 100
    Sd1s1: 96 Blocks At 4000
    Sd1s8: 100 Blocks At 0
    Sd1s10: 4096 Blocks At 0
    Sd1s0: Open
    151 Buffers
    Warning: Kernname Environment Variable Not Set By Sash. Runtime Symbol
    Table Not Loaded. Loadable Modules Will Not Be Registered Or Loaded.
    Sd1s0: Open
    Available Memory = 5092 Kbytes

    Root On Device 0x2000010 (Fstype Efs)
    Exec Of Init (Pid 1) By Icode
    Exec Of Sh (Pid 14) By Init
    Exec Of Sh (Pid 14) By Sh
    #Warning: Stray Local 1 Interrupt #1
    ------------------snip ---------------------------

    What does "Root on Device" mean? I have understood from FAQs that IRIX
    doesn't support ramdisks.
    Also,the kernel image that produced the above output had the root FS
    embedded in it.So,was the FS copied to some part of memory and then
    used? I definitely know about linux ramdisks where all of it gets
    copied to memory.So how is this different?
    Is there any document that talks about boot parameters in IRIX kernel?

    Too many questions...and sorry for the long email.

    TIA

  2. Re: root FS questions

    In article <7544aa17.0309081232.27204972@posting.google.com>,
    Manoj wrote:
    :I am new to IRIX so pardon me for ignorance.

    :Is it possible to boot IRIX off of a root FS that is residing in some
    art of memory?

    No.

    :Here are some boot messages that I am trying to understand:

    :Irix Release 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4 Ip32 Version 10210236 System V
    :Warning: Kernname Environment Variable Not Set By Sash. Runtime Symbol
    :Table Not Loaded. Loadable Modules Will Not Be Registered Or Loaded.

    You have an O2, which has a prom oddity. Reboot, stop for maintenance, go
    into the prom, and give the command resetenv
    and the above problem will -likely- go away.

    :#Warning: Stray Local 1 Interrupt #1

    I'm not sure where that is coming from. Possibly a SCSI termination
    error, or possibly a board not seated properly.

    :Root On Device 0x2000010 (Fstype Efs)

    :What does "Root on Device" mean?

    0x2000010 is the combined major and minor device number of the filesystem
    it booted off of. The 0x200 part encodes "scsi bus", the next 0 is
    unused (AFAIR), and the 010 encodes "Bus 0, device #1, partition #0".

    :I have understood from FAQs that IRIX
    :doesn't support ramdisks.

    It doesn't, but 0x2000010 doesn't have anything to do with ram disks.

    :Also,the kernel image that produced the above output had the root FS
    :embedded in it.So,was the FS copied to some part of memory and then
    :used? I definitely know about linux ramdisks where all of it gets
    :copied to memory.So how is this different?

    /unix was copied from the rootfilesystem into memory and put into execution.
    After that, the only parts of the filesystem that are in memory are
    the filesystem headers, the list of active inodes and active blocks (etc.),
    the blocks that are actually in use, and the blocks that are in the
    filesystem cache as recently in use or anticipated to be needed soon.
    Very much the same way as Linux operates in the absence of ram disks.
    --
    I predict that you will not trust this prediction.

  3. Re: root FS questions

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Walter Roberson wrote:

    > In article <7544aa17.0309081232.27204972@posting.google.com>,
    > Manoj wrote:
    >
    > :Here are some boot messages that I am trying to understand:
    >
    > :Irix Release 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4 Ip32 Version 10210236 System V
    > :Warning: Kernname Environment Variable Not Set By Sash. Runtime Symbol
    > :Table Not Loaded. Loadable Modules Will Not Be Registered Or Loaded.
    >
    > You have an O2, which has a prom oddity.

    Not only that, but it looks to me like somehow you have a kernel
    which was built internally by an SGI engineer (and one who left
    several years ago at that), and not an officially released kernel.

    I've no idea how you got ahold of that, but that kernel may well
    contain any sort or number of local modifications. I would
    definitely recommend reinstalling from scratch, preferably to
    IRIX 6.5.x if you can get your hands on it; but even to IRIX 6.3
    so that you're at least working with a known entity.

    That is unless you've somehow managed to get ahold of a machine
    with both an in-house PROM and in-house kernel. In that case
    Kibo only knows if changing the kernel without changing the PROM
    to a known version will result in a dead machine (not likely, but
    not impossible either if you somehow laid hands on a machine
    that should have never seen the world outside an SGI lab).

    Hope that helps,
    Brent Casavant

    --
    Brent Casavant bcasavan@sgi.com Forget bright-eyed and
    Operating System Engineer http://www.sgi.com/ bushy-tailed; I'm red-

  4. Re: root FS questions

    manoj23@linuxmail.org (Manoj) wrote:

    : Irix Release 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4 Ip32 Version 10210236 System V
    : Copyright 1987-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    : All Rights Reserved.
    : Total Real Memory = 8192 Kbytes
    : Cpu Frequency = 4mhz

    What SGI runs IRIX 6.3, with 8 megs or ram and a 4MHz cpu??

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

  5. Re: root FS questions

    In article ,
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    >In article <7544aa17.0309081232.27204972@posting.google.com>,
    > manoj23@linuxmail.org (Manoj) wrote:
    >
    >: Irix Release 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4 Ip32 Version 10210236 System V
    >: Copyright 1987-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
    >: All Rights Reserved.
    >: Total Real Memory = 8192 Kbytes
    >: Cpu Frequency = 4mhz
    >
    >What SGI runs IRIX 6.3, with 8 megs or ram and a 4MHz cpu??

    Well Bill Earl's name is hidden above, so it must be his machine.
    If anyone could do it, he could :-)

    But seriously, during the 6.3 bringout there were MANY
    IRIX patches for 6.3. Some of them with, um, major surgery.
    It's quite possible that one (or more) of the 6.3 patches
    resulted in the above surprising 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4. And the
    bogus-seeming Total Real Memory and Cpu Frequency.

    Brent C is right: Get 6.5 for this machine if possible. Not
    that anyone can guarantee anything on a machine of
    uncertain ancestry/condition.

    Regards,
    David B. Anderson davea@sgi.com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea
    [I'm no kernel expert, but I did work with a couple who were
    experts and those folks tracked down released patches
    {tracked down for me in
    helping understand a customer problem with debuggers back when}
    that *they* considered to be 'major surgery'.
    Patches which caused problems for debuggers (dbx/WorkShop).]

  6. Re: root FS questions

    Brent Casavant wrote in message news:...
    > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Walter Roberson wrote:
    >
    > > In article <7544aa17.0309081232.27204972@posting.google.com>,
    > > Manoj wrote:
    > >
    > > :Here are some boot messages that I am trying to understand:

    > > :Irix Release 6.3-Wje-Bonsai4 Ip32 Version 10210236 System V
    > > :Warning: Kernname Environment Variable Not Set By Sash. Runtime Symbol
    > > :Table Not Loaded. Loadable Modules Will Not Be Registered Or Loaded.
    > >
    > > You have an O2, which has a prom oddity.

    > Not only that, but it looks to me like somehow you have a kernel
    > which was built internally by an SGI engineer (and one who left
    > several years ago at that), and not an officially released kernel.
    >
    > I've no idea how you got ahold of that, but that kernel may well
    > contain any sort or number of local modifications. I would
    > definitely recommend reinstalling from scratch, preferably to
    > IRIX 6.5.x if you can get your hands on it; but even to IRIX 6.3
    > so that you're at least working with a known entity.
    >
    > That is unless you've somehow managed to get ahold of a machine
    > with both an in-house PROM and in-house kernel. In that case
    > Kibo only knows if changing the kernel without changing the PROM
    > to a known version will result in a dead machine (not likely, but
    > not impossible either if you somehow laid hands on a machine
    > that should have never seen the world outside an SGI lab).
    > pcibr0 at mainbusv
    > Hope that helps,
    > Brent Casavant

    -->Walter - Thanks,that cleared my doubts.
    -->Brent - You are right; this kernel was indeed built by a SGI
    person(I don't know who) for our company a few years ago.I just gotten
    hold of the boot log and was curious to know what it was doing for the
    root FS.

    Manoj

+ Reply to Thread