Next question - SGI

This is a discussion on Next question - SGI ; I've 2 indy's, and I want to built the better one as I can with the parts from both machines. It's about to be ok, but ... there's a small problem with the CPU module : When I change it ...

  1. Next question

    I've 2 indy's, and I want to built the better one as I can with the parts
    from both machines. It's about to be ok, but ... there's a small problem
    with the CPU module :

    When I change it (R5000 SC 150 mhz --> R5000 SC 180 mhz), the machine
    starts, I can go in the start-up menu, the Diagnostic says that's its run
    realy @ 180 mhz, but the OS won't boot. all freez in the first second of the
    boot. ...

    Did I miss something ?

    Julien

  2. Re: Next question

    Dans article , jailh.toutcourt@free.fr
    disait...

    > Did I miss something ?

    The CPU mayu be bad, or your PROM may be too old, or you may need to
    reconfigure (recompile) the kernel. Try to boot single user mode... Or
    try to start miniroot.

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

  3. Re: Next question

    > + On 06-Sep-03 22:50:35
    +julien a wrote

    >I've 2 indy's, and I want to built the better one as I can with the parts
    >from both machines. It's about to be ok, but ... there's a small problem
    >with the CPU module :

    >When I change it (R5000 SC 150 mhz --> R5000 SC 180 mhz), the machine
    >starts, I can go in the start-up menu, the Diagnostic says that's its run
    >realy @ 180 mhz, but the OS won't boot. all freez in the first second of the
    >boot. ...

    >Did I miss something ?

    Did you change ROM's too ? ..dunno about the particular CPU-swap, but
    often you have to change the ROM too.. try it if you havn't already.

    --
    ___ | Email Shauni@bay-watch.com
    / __\ __ | Homepage http://www.canit.se/~glenn

  4. Re: Next question

    Where is the ROM ?

    Please, say me that it's not under the graphic board !! ) Or say me how to
    remove this one, I don't want to break it and y didnt remove it last time i
    tried ...

    Julien

    > Did you change ROM's too ? ..dunno about the particular CPU-swap, but
    > often you have to change the ROM too.. try it if you havn't already.

  5. Re: Next question

    > + On 08-Sep-03 01:40:21
    +julien a wrote

    >> Did you change ROM's too ? ..dunno about the particular CPU-swap, but
    >> often you have to change the ROM too.. try it if you havn't already.

    >Where is the ROM ?

    >Please, say me that it's not under the graphic board !! ) Or say me how to
    >remove this one, I don't want to break it and y didnt remove it last time i
    >tried ...

    Uh.. dont remeber actually.. but if you have the 24bit gfx it's probably
    under the gfxcard since it's so large

    ...But Indy is a easy machine to dig around in.. like a real workstation
    should be

    --
    ___ | Email Shauni@bay-watch.com
    / __\ __ | Homepage http://www.canit.se/~glenn
    __ / /__ / /__ ____ ____ __ | IRC XT600 @ IRC-net
    (__/ /_ // / -_) _ ) _ )__) | Amiga - Silicon Graphics - 8bit comps.
    \___//_/\__/_//_/_//_/ | T h e K i n g d o m o f S w e d e n

+ Reply to Thread