Oops. my first mistake :s - SGI

This is a discussion on Oops. my first mistake :s - SGI ; After 2 hours using my "well new ;-)" SGI Indy, I done my first big mistake, and what a mistake ... I changed the refresh rate of the screen to a lower one but ... unsupported by my screen. I'm ...

  1. Oops. my first mistake :s

    After 2 hours using my "well new ;-)" SGI Indy, I done my first big mistake,
    and what a mistake ...

    I changed the refresh rate of the screen to a lower one but ... unsupported
    by my screen.

    I'm running IRIX 6.5 . Do someone know a solution to boot it in a "rescue"
    graphic mode, like the "VGA mode" under Windows NT on PeeCee ??

    Thanks

    Julien A

  2. Re: Oops. my first mistake :s

    In article ,
    julien a wrote:
    :After 2 hours using my "well new ;-)" SGI Indy, I done my first big mistake,
    :and what a mistake ...

    :I changed the refresh rate of the screen to a lower one but ... unsupported
    :by my screen.

    :I'm running IRIX 6.5 . Do someone know a solution to boot it in a "rescue"
    :graphic mode, like the "VGA mode" under Windows NT on PeeCee ??

    Connect a PC with terminal emulator program and "null modem cable"
    to serial port #1 on the Indy. Use a Mac modem cable to plug in to the
    Indy. Connect at 9600 bps. Power cycle and you should see some text
    on the screen. When it says it is starting up, press escape. That will
    give you a menu with 5 or 6 items. choose 5 to go into the prom.
    Type the command single there and wait for it to boot into single
    user mode. The command you have to use from there is setmon
    with the -x option; look at the setmon man page via techpubs.sgi.com
    to see what parameters to use.
    --
    Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!

  3. Re: Oops. my first mistake :s

    Many thanks, it works again :-)

    (with the -x option, as said in the other reply to my question)

    Julien A

    "Emmanuel Florac" a écrit dans le message news:
    MPG.19c3d094bbe6f8e498c9a9@news.free.fr...
    > Dans article , jailh.toutcourt@free.fr
    > disait...
    > >
    > > I'm running IRIX 6.5 . Do someone know a solution to boot it in a

    "rescue"
    > > graphic mode, like the "VGA mode" under Windows NT on PeeCee ??
    > >

    > power down and reboot, at the "click for maintenance" prompt, clock the
    > button or hit . choose 5, "enter command monitor", and type in
    > "single" to boot single-user mode. Wait a while, it will ask you for the
    > root password. Provide it, then use the /usr/gfx/setmon command to set
    > another refresh rate (for instance "/usr/gfx/setmon 1280x1024_60). It
    > will ask you if you want to make it the bootup default. WHen done, type
    > "multi" to enter multiuser (normal) mode.
    >
    > --
    > Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando?

+ Reply to Thread