G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem - SGI

This is a discussion on G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem - SGI ; G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem: Hey all, I just put two new 1ghz xeon processors into my G 550 to replace the 733 ones that were in it. However, the computer no longer posts. The machine only powers on ...

  1. G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem

    G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem:

    Hey all, I just put two new 1ghz xeon processors into my G 550 to
    replace the 733 ones that were in it. However, the computer no longer
    posts. The machine only powers on now, with no beep code or picture on
    my monitor to troubleshoot.

    The new processors are a matched pair as follows:
    1000/133/256 2.8v
    11470107-0123 Philippines
    SL4HE

    Any help would be great!

    Feel free to reply to rob@vivisect.org

    -R

  2. Re: G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem

    You need the 5/12V version of these processors--sSpec SL4HF. Be aware that
    older SGI 550 mobo firmware may not recognize the 1GHz CPUs, although the
    system should still work just fine (requires pressing F1 during initial boot
    to clear a system config error message).

    Bob

    On 9/5/03 8:09 PM, in article icadnSSXlvo1uMSiRTvUpQ@speakeasy.net, "Rob
    Shortley" wrote:

    > G 550 Visual Workstation Upgrade Problem:
    >
    > Hey all, I just put two new 1ghz xeon processors into my G 550 to
    > replace the 733 ones that were in it. However, the computer no longer
    > posts. The machine only powers on now, with no beep code or picture on
    > my monitor to troubleshoot.
    >
    > The new processors are a matched pair as follows:
    > 1000/133/256 2.8v
    > 11470107-0123 Philippines
    > SL4HE
    >
    > Any help would be great!