XFS and direct I/O on Linux. - SGI

This is a discussion on XFS and direct I/O on Linux. - SGI ; Can XFS on Linux do direct I/O? What about async I/O? I want to speed up my oracle database on Linux and I'm considering XFS or JFS for the database files. -- Mladen Gogala Not only is there no God, ...

  1. XFS and direct I/O on Linux.

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

  2. Re: XFS and direct I/O on Linux.

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:44:17 +0200, Thomas Jahns wrote:

    > Mladen Gogala writes:
    >> Can XFS on Linux do direct I/O? What about async I/O? I want to
    >> speed up my oracle database on Linux and I'm considering XFS or JFS
    >> for the database files.

    > Supposedly it can. It's been placed in some ioctl calls see xfs(5) for
    > the details. Search for XFS_IOC_DIOINFO in particular. The file needs
    > to have been opened with O_DIRECT. Wether Oracle can use these
    > features in Linux 2.4 I'm not sure.
    >
    > Ciao, Thomas

    I'm trying to speed up oracle. Oracle has a parameter which makes the
    instance open the database files with O_NDELAY and O_DIRECT, if the file
    system supports it. Here is the parameter, directly from Oracle 9.2
    reference manual:

    FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS

    Parameter type

    String

    Syntax

    FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS = {none | setall | directIO | asynch}

    Default value

    There is no default value.

    Parameter class

    Dynamic: ALTER SESSION, ALTER SYSTEM

    FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS specifies I/O operations for file system files.

    I sort of hoped for an answer from a SGI person? Whatever has happened
    to Dave Olsen?

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.
    - Woody Allen

  3. Re: XFS and direct I/O on Linux.

    In article ,
    Mladen Gogala wrote:
    :I sort of hoped for an answer from a SGI person? Whatever has happened
    :to Dave Olsen?

    http://liberty.unixfolk.com/dave/

    Now at Key Research.

    Key Research is a privately-held company based in Sunnyvale,
    CA. Founded in July 2001 by a highly regarded team of computer
    system industry veterans, Key Research is designing and
    engineering high-performance 64-bit server computer system
    technologies optimized for deployment in Linux clusters.

    -- Rich Kulawiec

  4. Re: XFS and direct I/O on Linux.

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:46:31 +0000, Walter Roberson wrote:

    > :I sort of hoped for an answer from a SGI person? Whatever has happened
    > :to Dave Olsen?
    >
    > http://liberty.unixfolk.com/dave/
    >
    > Now at Key Research.
    >
    > Key Research is a privately-held company based in Sunnyvale,
    > CA. Founded in July 2001 by a highly regarded team of computer
    > system industry veterans, Key Research is designing and
    > engineering high-performance 64-bit server computer system
    > technologies optimized for deployment in Linux clusters.

    Thanks! I'm a long time SGI fan. I used to work on Indy, Indigo and
    Indigo2 workstations (Irix 4.5, 5.0, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2) and I was
    installing oracle on Challenge systems in 1995. Dave Olsen was frequenting
    this group and was the most reliable and qualified source of information
    that I've ever seen. It's a big loss for SGI to lose a great engineer
    like Dave Olsen.

    --
    Mladen Gogala
    Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.
    - Woody Allen

+ Reply to Thread