Irix 6.2 networking problems - SGI

This is a discussion on Irix 6.2 networking problems - SGI ; My indy is currently getting the following error on boot up- Error: amsysinfo: cannot get hostname. I want the system to use the hostname in /etc/sys_id also when I netstat -rn I don't see a default- being what should be ...

  1. Irix 6.2 networking problems

    My indy is currently getting the following error on boot up-
    Error: amsysinfo: cannot get hostname.

    I want the system to use the hostname in /etc/sys_id

    also when I netstat -rn I don't see a default- being what should be my
    router! What files should I modify, and can you give me an example of
    what they should look like?

    tia
    Matthew

  2. Re: Irix 6.2 networking problems

    Matthew wrote:

    Hi,

    > My indy is currently getting the following error on boot up-
    > Error: amsysinfo: cannot get hostname.
    >
    > I want the system to use the hostname in /etc/sys_id

    What does /etc/hosts looks like?

    > also when I netstat -rn I don't see a default- being what should be my
    > router! What files should I modify, and can you give me an example of
    > what they should look like?

    In /etc/config/static-route.options:

    $ROUTE $QUIET add default

    Via the command:

    route add net default

    > tia
    > Matthew

    Yours,

    Josh.

    ..------------------------------------------------.
    | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    | Noorg, Inc |
    | ---------------------------------------------- |
    | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    | & handling available for download at: |
    | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ |
    `------------------------------------------------'

  3. Re: Irix 6.2 networking problems

    Matthew wrote:

    Hi,

    > I've add the line hostresorder local bind to /etc/resolv.conf and edited
    > /etc/rc2.d/S30network to include a line to set my default route

    /etc/resolv.conf also needs nameserver directives added to it:

    domain
    hostresorder local bind
    nameserver
    nameserver
    nameserver

    The following command will dump your ISP's nameserver addresses.
    Add them to the /etc/resolv.conf nameserver directives as
    described above.

    IRIS 1% nslookup -type=ns

    It's a good idea to have at least 3 so you have a pool to choose from
    should some of the servers go down.

    What does /etc/hosts look like?????

    Also, don't edit your init scripts directly unless you really must.
    The default route can be set via additions to
    /etc/config/static-route.options
    as I illustrated in my last post to you.

    Yours,

    Josh.

    --

    | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    | Noorg, Inc |
    | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    | & handling available for download at: |
    | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |

  4. Re: Irix 6.2 networking problems