Re: Is this kind of auction allowed? - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Is this kind of auction allowed? - SGI ; In article , mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) wrote: : For those who for some reason can't access the page, it's for a 16xR12K/400 : Origin3400 rack server with 16GB RAM and lots of other goodies, on offer at : a starting ...

  1. Re: Is this kind of auction allowed?

    In article ,
    mapesdhs@yahoo.com (Ian Mapleson) wrote:

    : For those who for some reason can't access the page, it's for a 16xR12K/400
    : Origin3400 rack server with 16GB RAM and lots of other goodies, on offer at
    : a starting price of a mere $1000 with no reserve. Bargain of the year? Well,
    : no, 'fraid not. Underneath the main picture it says:
    :
    : Buyer will pay $50,000.00 USD PLUS the winning auction bid amount.

    They're probably just trying to short-change eBay on the auction fees. I doubt
    they were trying to scam the bidders (especially if it really is from
    bbsolutions, as claimed).

    eBay does seem to allow sellers to charge extra on their auctions (the
    'handling' half of 'shipping and handling'), but I would imagine that the
    $50,000 figure would probably be considered excessive and get the auction
    cancelled.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --

  2. Re: Is this kind of auction allowed?

    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

    > Over here that is one of the few types of abuse that ebay responds
    > quite fast to. After all it's a trick aimed directly at their income.
    > I'd be surprised if Ebay in any other place on this world behaves
    > different in regard to such things.

    Especially since even ebay.de is hosted and maintained in the U.S. like all
    ebay sites ;-)

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread