Re: Is this kind of auction allowed? - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Is this kind of auction allowed? - SGI ; Ian Mapleson wrote: > I wasn't going to post about this, but the more I thought about it > the more > I wondered whether this was allowed under Ebay rules. I did email the > seller, but received no ...

  1. Re: Is this kind of auction allowed?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11223

    > For those who for some reason can't access the page, it's for a
    > 16xR12K/400 Origin3400 rack server with 16GB RAM and lots of other
    > goodies, on offer at
    > a starting price of a mere $1000 with no reserve. Bargain of the
    > year? Well, no, 'fraid not. Underneath the main picture it says:
    >
    > Buyer will pay $50,000.00 USD PLUS the winning auction bid amount.
    >
    > ??? Is this allowed?

    Of course it is...

    > Seems distinctly dodgy to me, ie. if some poor
    > sod doesn't notice this comment and places a bid. Note that
    > immediately
    > underneath it then says:
    >
    > Starting bid is $1000.00 and there is NO RESERVE.
    >
    > To me, this two comments are contradictory, at least in the spirit of
    > what
    > an auction is supposed to be.

    No, they aren't. The seller sells the machine for 50k+auction price. That
    means if one bids 1000$ he can get the machine for 51k$. There is no bidding
    when You have no chance to get it since a reserve isn't met yet...

    > But maybe I'm wrong and this type of auction isn't uncommon. I've
    > just never come across it before.
    >
    > Thoughts anyone?

    For me I have the impression that this is another attempt to rip-off people.
    People dealing on ebay usually are aware that most bidders simply don't read
    the whole text, and that's probably why the starting amount is 1000$ instead
    of the real price...

    At least I would never buy anything from someone who needs to use such
    tricks...

    Benjamin

  2. Re: Is this kind of auction allowed?

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:

    > For me I have the impression that this is another attempt to rip-off people.
    > People dealing on ebay usually are aware that most bidders simply don't read
    > the whole text, and that's probably why the starting amount is 1000$ instead
    > of the real price...
    >
    > At least I would never buy anything from someone who needs to use such
    > tricks...

    That's B&B Solutions in Laval, PQ, Canada.

+ Reply to Thread