Simple (?) Octane networking problem - SGI

This is a discussion on Simple (?) Octane networking problem - SGI ; I just got an Octane - my first real SGI system. I'm trying to get it running in my existing network, like this: |-----------| |windows box|-------\ |-----------| | . | . ----\ | . | | |-----------| |--------------| |--------------| |-------------| ...

  1. Simple (?) Octane networking problem

    |-----------|
    |windows box|-------\
    |-----------| |
    . |
    . ----\ |
    . | |
    |-----------| |--------------| |--------------| |-------------|
    |windows box|---| 100TX switch | | linux server |---| cable modem |
    |-----------| |--------------| | eth0 | |-------------|
    | | | | - - - - - - -|
    |-------------| | | \-------| linux server |
    | other linux |--/ | | eth1 |
    |-------------| | |--------------|

    |-----------| |
    | Octane |--------/
    |-----------|

    Rudimentary graphic, sorry ;-)

    Anyhow, it works for all the machines except the Octane. It can't
    connect through to the internet for web browsing. From the Octane, I
    can ping all the local sites by ip address. I added the linux server to
    the Octane's hosts file, and can ping it by name from the Octane. I can
    ping internet sites by name from the Octane, so DNS is working properly
    for external sites. I cannot ping any other local sites by name.

    The linux server is running Mandrake 9.1, and is the DHCP and DNS
    server, via ETH1, for the local network. The server's eth1 is a static
    ip, eth0 is dynamic provided by the isp DHCP. The linux server is
    firewalling and masquerading for the local network using Shorewall. All
    of the windows machines and the other linux machine have good internet
    connections. The Linux server also has some shared SMB and NFS
    resources on the local network side.

    The Octane can't find any shared resources anywhere, but I don't have
    NFS on the Octane (different topic - how do I get NFS on the Octane?)

    My primary question is how do I get internet access for the Octane?
    What information have I forgotten to provide here?
    Is there a better place to post this request?

    Thanks for any suggestions or troubleshooting tips.

    Cris

  2. Re: Simple (?) Octane networking problem

    I was wrong about one thing in this question - the Octane cannot ping
    internet sites. When I try to ping, the DNS resolves the name and gets
    an ip address, but the actual ping never seems to leave the Octane, as
    observed in a tcpdump on the server's eth1. I do see the transaction to
    resolve a name via eth1, so I know the Octane could communicate with the
    outside, if it were so inclined.

    Lola Barnhurst wrote:
    > I just got an Octane - my first real SGI system. I'm trying to get it
    > running in my existing network, like this:
    >
    > |-----------|
    > |windows box|-------\
    > |-----------| |
    > . |
    > . ----\ |
    > . | |
    > |-----------| |--------------| |--------------| |-------------|
    > |windows box|---| 100TX switch | | linux server |---| cable modem |
    > |-----------| |--------------| | eth0 | |-------------|
    > | | | | - - - - - - -|
    > |-------------| | | \-------| linux server |
    > | other linux |--/ | | eth1 |
    > |-------------| | |--------------|
    > |
    > |-----------| |
    > | Octane |--------/
    > |-----------|
    >

    > Rudimentary graphic, sorry ;-)
    >
    > Anyhow, it works for all the machines except the Octane. It can't
    > connect through to the internet for web browsing. From the Octane, I
    > can ping all the local sites by ip address. I added the linux server to
    > the Octane's hosts file, and can ping it by name from the Octane. I can
    > ping internet sites by name from the Octane, so DNS is working properly
    > for external sites. I cannot ping any other local sites by name.
    >
    > The linux server is running Mandrake 9.1, and is the DHCP and DNS
    > server, via ETH1, for the local network. The server's eth1 is a static
    > ip, eth0 is dynamic provided by the isp DHCP. The linux server is
    > firewalling and masquerading for the local network using Shorewall. All
    > of the windows machines and the other linux machine have good internet
    > connections. The Linux server also has some shared SMB and NFS
    > resources on the local network side.
    >
    > The Octane can't find any shared resources anywhere, but I don't have
    > NFS on the Octane (different topic - how do I get NFS on the Octane?)
    >
    > My primary question is how do I get internet access for the Octane? What
    > information have I forgotten to provide here?
    > Is there a better place to post this request?
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions or troubleshooting tips.
    >
    > Cris

  3. Re: Simple (?) Octane networking problem

    Cris Sandberg wrote:

    > I was wrong about one thing in this question - the Octane cannot ping
    > internet sites. When I try to ping, the DNS resolves the name and gets
    > an ip address, but the actual ping never seems to leave the Octane, as
    > observed in a tcpdump on the server's eth1. I do see the transaction to
    > resolve a name via eth1, so I know the Octane could communicate with the
    > outside, if it were so inclined.

    > Lola Barnhurst wrote:
    > > I just got an Octane - my first real SGI system. I'm trying to get it
    > > running in my existing network, like this:
    > >
    > > |-----------|
    > > |windows box|-------\
    > > |-----------| |
    > > . |
    > > . ----\ |
    > > . | |
    > > |-----------| |--------------| |--------------| |-------------|
    > > |windows box|---| 100TX switch | | linux server |---| cable modem |
    > > |-----------| |--------------| | eth0 | |-------------|
    > > | | | | - - - - - - -|
    > > |-------------| | | \-------| linux server |
    > > | other linux |--/ | | eth1 |
    > > |-------------| | |--------------|
    > > |
    > > |-----------| |
    > > | Octane |--------/
    > > |-----------|
    > >

    > > Rudimentary graphic, sorry ;-)
    > >
    > > Anyhow, it works for all the machines except the Octane. It can't
    > > connect through to the internet for web browsing. From the Octane, I
    > > can ping all the local sites by ip address. I added the linux server to
    > > the Octane's hosts file, and can ping it by name from the Octane. I can
    > > ping internet sites by name from the Octane, so DNS is working properly
    > > for external sites. I cannot ping any other local sites by name.
    > >
    > > The linux server is running Mandrake 9.1, and is the DHCP and DNS
    > > server, via ETH1, for the local network. The server's eth1 is a static
    > > ip, eth0 is dynamic provided by the isp DHCP. The linux server is
    > > firewalling and masquerading for the local network using Shorewall. All
    > > of the windows machines and the other linux machine have good internet
    > > connections. The Linux server also has some shared SMB and NFS
    > > resources on the local network side.
    > >
    > > The Octane can't find any shared resources anywhere, but I don't have
    > > NFS on the Octane (different topic - how do I get NFS on the Octane?)
    > >
    > > My primary question is how do I get internet access for the Octane? What
    > > information have I forgotten to provide here?
    > > Is there a better place to post this request?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any suggestions or troubleshooting tips.
    > >
    > > Cris

    since you didn't say anything about what files you have do you have:

    /etc/config/static-route.options
    $ROUTE $QUIET add default x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is your eth1 port on the
    gateway)

    /etc/config/netif.options
    if1name=ec0

    /etc/hosts
    stuff everyone should know anyway....

    /etc/resolv.conf
    nameserver [your ISP's name server IP]

    /etc/nsswitch.conf
    hosts: files dns

  4. Re: Simple (?) Octane networking problem

    SkyWriter wrote:
> [...]
    >>>firewalling and masquerading for the local network using Shorewall. All
    >>>of the windows machines and the other linux machine have good internet
    >>>connections. The Linux server also has some shared SMB and NFS
    >>>resources on the local network side.
    >>>
    >>>The Octane can't find any shared resources anywhere, but I don't have
    >>>NFS on the Octane (different topic - how do I get NFS on the Octane?)
    >>>
    >>>My primary question is how do I get internet access for the Octane? What
    >>>information have I forgotten to provide here?
    >>>Is there a better place to post this request?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any suggestions or troubleshooting tips.
    >>>
    >>>Cris
    >>>

    > since you didn't say anything about what files you have do you have:
    >
    > /etc/config/static-route.options
    > $ROUTE $QUIET add default x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is your eth1 port on the

    Well that fixed it. There were no entries in the static-route.options
    file - it existed with all the comments and nothing else. I added the
    default route and all works well now. Thanks.

    Instead of the isp nameserver, I had my server's eth1 address in there,
    since its running DNS. I should probably add the ips's nameserver in
    there, as well.

    Great! Thanks again.

    (Any ideas about getting NFS on there now?)

  5. Re: Simple (?) Octane networking problem

    SkyWriter wrote:
    > Lola Barnhurst wrote:
    >

    >>SkyWriter wrote:

    >>>since you didn't say anything about what files you have do you have:
    >>>
    >>>/etc/config/static-route.options
    >>>$ROUTE $QUIET add default x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is your eth1 port on the
    >>>gateway)
    >>>
    >>>/etc/config/netif.options
    >>>if1name=ec0
    >>>
    >>>/etc/hosts
    >>>stuff everyone should know anyway....
    >>>
    >>>/etc/resolv.conf
    >>>nameserver [your ISP's name server IP]
    >>>
    >>>/etc/nsswitch.conf
    >>>hosts: files dns
    >>>

    >>Well that fixed it. There were no entries in the static-route.options
    >>file - it existed with all the comments and nothing else. I added the
    >>default route and all works well now. Thanks.
    >>
    >>Instead of the isp nameserver, I had my server's eth1 address in there,
    >>since its running DNS. I should probably add the ips's nameserver in
    >>there, as well.
    >>
    >>Great! Thanks again.
    >>
    >>(Any ideas about getting NFS on there now?)

    > sure, what do you what to do?

    Install it and access shared directories on the linux server. It didn't
    seem to be part of (not available?) the 6.5.17 installation. I think
    maybe I need to go 'read the manual' before I make myself look too
    stupid here...

+ Reply to Thread