lost password. - SGI

This is a discussion on lost password. - SGI ; Hi! After having my Octane put away for a couple of months i finaly found some time to play with it again. But i can't seam to remember my Root password! =( I have tried every password i can think ...

  1. lost password.

    Hi!

    After having my Octane put away for a couple of months i finaly found some
    time to play with it again. But i can't seam to remember my Root password!
    =( I have tried every password i can think of, and i normaly don't use
    that many... Guess this is a pretty common question, but what options do i
    have?

    (Running IRIX 6.5.15m)

    Thanx!

    // Henrik

  2. Re: lost password.

    Henrik Ístman wrote:

    > Hi!

    Hi,

    > After having my Octane put away for a couple of months i finaly found some
    > time to play with it again. But i can't seam to remember my Root password!
    > =( I have tried every password i can think of, and i normaly don't use
    > that many... Guess this is a pretty common question, but what options do i
    > have?

    Do you have IRIX media or another Octane that you can log in
    to after it boots?

    Yours,

    Josh.

    ..------------------------------------------------.
    | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    | Noorg, Inc |
    | ---------------------------------------------- |
    | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    | & handling available for download at: |
    | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |
    `------------------------------------------------'

  3. Re: lost password.

    Josh Birnbaum wrote:

    > Henrik Ístman wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi!

    > Hi,
    >
    >> After having my Octane put away for a couple of months i finaly found
    >> some time to play with it again. But i can't seam to remember my Root
    >> password!
    >> =( I have tried every password i can think of, and i normaly don't use
    >> that many... Guess this is a pretty common question, but what options do
    >> i have?

    > Do you have IRIX media or another Octane that you can log in
    > to after it boots?
    >
    > Yours,
    >
    > Josh.
    >
    > .------------------------------------------------.
    > | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    > | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    > | Noorg, Inc |
    > | ---------------------------------------------- |
    > | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    > | & handling available for download at: |
    > | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |
    > `------------------------------------------------'

    Thanks for your reply!

    No, got the machine from eBay, and as most machines i got no media included.
    But i intend to buy a IRIX version fron eBay soon, so lets say i have the
    media. What do i do then? Booting from Overlay disk #1 and then... ???

    Thanks!!!

    // Henrik

  4. Re: lost password.

    Henrik Ístman wrote:

    > Josh Birnbaum wrote:
    >
    > > Henrik Ístman wrote:

    Hi,

    > Thanks for your reply!

    Sure.

    > No, got the machine from eBay, and as most machines i got no media included.
    > But i intend to buy a IRIX version fron eBay soon, so lets say i have the
    > media. What do i do then? Booting from Overlay disk #1 and then... ???

    Right. Boot into miniroot, choose the 'admin' and then 'shroot' inst
    options
    and use the vi editor to open /etc/passwd and remove the contents of the
    passwd
    field (field two) for the root account.

    If, however, you are using shadowed passwords, do the above on
    /etc/shadow
    instead as field two of /etc/passwd will not have the passwd string in
    it.
    /etc/shadow has restricted read permission for security reasons.

    If you're not running shadowed passwds then issue the pwconv command
    after
    fixing the lost passwd problem. This will create /etc/shadow.

    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > // Henrik

    Good Luck,

    Josh.

    ..------------------------------------------------.
    | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    | Noorg, Inc |
    | ---------------------------------------------- |
    | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    | & handling available for download at: |
    | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |
    `------------------------------------------------'

  5. Re: lost password.

    > > Henrik Ístman wrote:

    > But i intend to buy a IRIX version fron eBay soon, so lets say i have the
    > media. What do i do then? Booting from Overlay disk #1 and then... ???
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > // Henrik

    Hi!
    Got my e-mails returned from "linuxgoods".
    I guess that your are situated in Sweden.
    Can offer you new media (complete install. Mail to
    lege.artis-NO-@-SPAM-usa.net or call 070-686 60 60
    Cheers
    Per

  6. Re: lost password.

    Josh Birnbaum wrote:

    > Henrik Ístman wrote:
    >>
    >> Josh Birnbaum wrote:
    >>
    >> > Henrik Ístman wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    >> Thanks for your reply!

    > Sure.
    >
    >> No, got the machine from eBay, and as most machines i got no media
    >> included. But i intend to buy a IRIX version fron eBay soon, so lets say
    >> i have the media. What do i do then? Booting from Overlay disk #1 and
    >> then... ???

    > Right. Boot into miniroot, choose the 'admin' and then 'shroot' inst
    > options
    > and use the vi editor to open /etc/passwd and remove the contents of the
    > passwd
    > field (field two) for the root account.
    >
    > If, however, you are using shadowed passwords, do the above on
    > /etc/shadow
    > instead as field two of /etc/passwd will not have the passwd string in
    > it.
    > /etc/shadow has restricted read permission for security reasons.
    >
    > If you're not running shadowed passwds then issue the pwconv command
    > after
    > fixing the lost passwd problem. This will create /etc/shadow.
    >
    >> Thanks!!!
    >>
    >> // Henrik

    > Good Luck,
    >
    > Josh.
    >
    > .------------------------------------------------.
    > | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    > | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    > | Noorg, Inc |
    > | ---------------------------------------------- |
    > | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    > | & handling available for download at: |
    > | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |
    > `------------------------------------------------'

    Ok, this looks easy!
    And i just got a crazy thought, while waiting for my IRIX 6.5.18m discs to
    arrive would it be possible to mount the disc via a linux system? I connect
    the disc to my linux workstation and mount the XFS partition/slice and edit
    the passwd-file. Removing the password field would get me a blank password
    right? The only trouble is that linux only has READ support for XFS i
    think.. =(

    So i guess i have to wait.... =)

  7. Re: lost password.

    In article <6ay0b.20601$mU6.30641@newsb.telia.net>,
    Henrik Ístman wrote:

    : The only trouble is that linux only has READ support for XFS i
    : think.. =(

    Read-only support for EFS, read/write support for XFS.

    It should be noted that linux also has a few restrictions on what types of XFS
    filesystems it understands, for example the filesystem must have v2 directories
    and the block size must equal the page size.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --

  8. Re: lost password.

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:

    > In article <6ay0b.20601$mU6.30641@newsb.telia.net>,
    > Henrik Ístman wrote:
    >
    > : The only trouble is that linux only has READ support for XFS i
    > : think.. =(
    >
    > Read-only support for EFS, read/write support for XFS.
    >
    > It should be noted that linux also has a few restrictions on what types of
    > XFS filesystems it understands, for example the filesystem must have v2
    > directories and the block size must equal the page size.
    >

    > Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    Ok, looks like i maybe have a small chance after all. =)

    Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread