wheel mouse in .20 - SGI

This is a discussion on wheel mouse in .20 - SGI ; any way to get the mouse wheel on a Logitech wheel mouse to work under IRIX 6.5.20 ? ?...

  1. wheel mouse in .20

    any way to get the mouse wheel on a Logitech wheel mouse to work under IRIX
    6.5.20 ? ?

  2. Re: wheel mouse in .20

    "Dr d b karron" writes:
    > any way to get the mouse wheel on a Logitech wheel mouse to work under IRIX
    > 6.5.20 ? ?

    That depends on the model of your mouse. There is a sharp distinction
    between some Logitech retail product (don't remember the exact product
    name) and its OEM version. The OEM version can be recognized by a
    simple black logo (while the retail version has a logo in three colours:
    green, red and black (don't hurt me for black not being a colour)).

    Because the OEM version does not understand the IMPS/2 protocol it
    won't work.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  3. Re: wheel mouse in .20

    Thomas Jahns wrote:

    > That depends on the model of your mouse. There is a sharp distinction
    > between some Logitech retail product (don't remember the exact product
    > name) and its OEM version. The OEM version can be recognized by a
    > simple black logo (while the retail version has a logo in three colours:
    > green, red and black (don't hurt me for black not being a colour)).

    Are you sure?
    My Logitech mx500 wheel mouse has a white logo on a black background, and it
    *does* work, even the buttons around the wheel, and the ones on the side.
    This is Irix 6.5.19.

    > Because the OEM version does not understand the IMPS/2 protocol it
    > won't work.

    -- Hans

  4. Re: wheel mouse in .20

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, HvdV wrote:

    > Are you sure?
    > My Logitech mx500 wheel mouse has a white logo on a black background, and it
    > *does* work, even the buttons around the wheel, and the ones on the side.
    > This is Irix 6.5.19.

    It's really a crapshoot. While the official methods to get MS-compatible
    mice into the modes where the wheel (and middle button) work are well
    documented, in practice some of them don't respond to the initialization
    sequence properly. I've heard tell that for some mice the thing to do is
    just keep sending the documented initialization sequence several times
    until it works. Doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in those
    particular mice.

    I don't even think it's consistent from model to model with the same
    vendor, thus it doesn't surprise me that you're seeing different behavior
    than the other poster did.

    And of course some 3+ button mice use a different protocol altogether,
    so those wouldn't work at all.

    Brent

    --
    Brent Casavant bcasavan@sgi.com Forget bright-eyed and
    Operating System Engineer http://www.sgi.com/ bushy-tailed; I'm red-

  5. Re: wheel mouse in .20

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Brent Casavant wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, HvdV wrote:
    >
    > > Are you sure?
    > > My Logitech mx500 wheel mouse has a white logo on a black background, and it
    > > *does* work, even the buttons around the wheel, and the ones on the side.
    > > This is Irix 6.5.19.

    > It's really a crapshoot. While the official methods to get MS-compatible
    > mice into the modes where the wheel (and middle button) work are well
    > documented, in practice some of them don't respond to the initialization
    > sequence properly. I've heard tell that for some mice the thing to do is
    > just keep sending the documented initialization sequence several times
    > until it works. Doesn't exactly give me a lot of confidence in those
    > particular mice.
    >
    > I don't even think it's consistent from model to model with the same
    > vendor, thus it doesn't surprise me that you're seeing different behavior
    > than the other poster did.

    I tried 3 different wheelmice with 6.5.19m on an Octane:

    1) Dell branded "by Microsoft" Intellimouse 1.3A -- works, but the
    spring on the scroll wheel is very soft so I have to be careful
    or I get clicks I didn't want
    2) OEM Logitech optical wheelmouse -- does not work
    3) Aopen generic wheelmouse -- does not work

    --
    George White
    189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia B3Z 2G6

  6. Re: wheel mouse in .20

    George White writes:
    > I tried 3 different wheelmice with 6.5.19m on an Octane:
    >
    > 1) Dell branded "by Microsoft" Intellimouse 1.3A -- works, but the
    > spring on the scroll wheel is very soft so I have to be careful
    > or I get clicks I didn't want
    > 2) OEM Logitech optical wheelmouse -- does not work
    > 3) Aopen generic wheelmouse -- does not work

    Please try to post the exact models, that would be much more helpful to
    people here. BTW: Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel (M-RG53) and
    Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (M-BJ69) have proven to work here on an
    Indy.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."
    D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9

  7. Re: wheel mouse in .20

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Thomas Jahns wrote:

    > George White writes:
    > > I tried 3 different wheelmice with 6.5.19m on an Octane:
    > >
    > > 1) Dell branded "by Microsoft" Intellimouse 1.3A -- works, but the
    > > spring on the scroll wheel is very soft so I have to be careful
    > > or I get clicks I didn't want
    > > 2) OEM Logitech optical wheelmouse -- does not work
    > > 3) Aopen generic wheelmouse -- does not work

    > Please try to post the exact models, that would be much more helpful to
    > people here. BTW: Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel (M-RG53) and
    > Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (M-BJ69) have proven to work here on an
    > Indy.

    I don't have item #2) anymore, but it had a USB connector with a serial
    adapter similar to a Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (M-BJ58). Item #3)
    doesn't have a part no. Actually, I just "borrowed" as many wheel mice as
    I could and and tried the nicest ones first (order 2,3,1). I stopped when
    I had one working, since it seems to need a power-cycle to properly
    initialize the mouse. I use the M-BJ58 on a linux system at home and
    prefer it to the Intellimouse.

    --
    George N. White III

+ Reply to Thread