Re: Telnet/SSH question - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Telnet/SSH question - SGI ; In article , Thomas Jahns writes: > "FalconFly" writes: [...] >> And if so, how does one keep the machines doing what they were tasked (?) >> That was basically my intention, but I can't keep half a dozen SSH ...

  1. Re: Telnet/SSH question

    In article <87ptjsb73c.fsf@ID-48333.user.dfncis.de>, Thomas Jahns writes:
    > "FalconFly" writes:

    [...]

    >> And if so, how does one keep the machines doing what they were tasked (?)
    >> That was basically my intention, but I can't keep half a dozen SSH
    >> or Telnet sessions alive at the same time. I just need to log-on,
    >> make the Boxes work, and 'walk away', while they need to continue
    >> what they were tasked.

    > I'm not totally sure what you intend to do, but I feel you want to
    > read up on nohup(1).

    Or - depending on your taste - you might want to install GNU screen
    from freeware, I usually prefer this over nohup(1).

    Akos Balazs

  2. Re: Telnet/SSH question

    Okidok, I'll be reading up on those over the weekend

    The original Intention (and it initially looked like it worked) was to Telnet into the
    machines, log-on, launch a Program, and log-off again, > with the launched program still
    running <.
    (basically open-end, until I was to log-in again and Kill the task if needed)

    Greetings
    FalconFly

    Webmaster
    http://www.falconfly.de
    3dfx Archive
    ====================
    Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

  3. Re: Telnet/SSH question

    "FalconFly" wrote in message
    > Okidok, I'll be reading up on those over the weekend
    >
    > The original Intention (and it initially looked like it worked) was to

    Telnet into the
    > machines, log-on, launch a Program, and log-off again, > with the launched

    program still
    > running <.
    > (basically open-end, until I was to log-in again and Kill the task if

    needed)

    > Greetings
    > FalconFly
    >
    > Webmaster
    > http://www.falconfly.de
    > 3dfx Archive
    > ====================
    > Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

    Have you tried launching the task ( For Example /home/atask &) with the & to
    let the process run in the background ?

    Steve

  4. Re: Telnet/SSH question

    "FalconFly" writes:

    > Okidok, I'll be reading up on those over the weekend
    >
    > The original Intention (and it initially looked like it worked) was to
    > Telnet into the machines, log-on, launch a Program, and log-off again, >
    > with the launched program still running <. (basically open-end, until I
    > was to log-in again and Kill the task if needed)

    Someone already mentioned nohup, but take a look at "Screen" also:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

    Cheers,

    --
    marco@reimeika.ca
    Gunnm: Broken Angel

  5. Re: Telnet/SSH question

    Hm, nope, haven't tried that.
    Looks like a simple, nifty option

    Webmaster
    http://www.falconfly.de
    3dfx Archive
    ====================
    "Steve S." schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "FalconFly" wrote in message
    > > Okidok, I'll be reading up on those over the weekend
    > >
    > > The original Intention (and it initially looked like it worked) was to

    > Telnet into the
    > > machines, log-on, launch a Program, and log-off again, > with the launched

    > program still
    > > running <.
    > > (basically open-end, until I was to log-in again and Kill the task if

    > needed)
    > >
    > > Greetings
    > > FalconFly
    > >
    > > Webmaster
    > > http://www.falconfly.de
    > > 3dfx Archive
    > > Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

    > Have you tried launching the task ( For Example /home/atask &) with the & to
    > let the process run in the background ?
    >
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread