New to SGI Need Some Help - SGI

This is a discussion on New to SGI Need Some Help - SGI ; HI ALL im totaly new to SGI, i have no experience with them and really not much outside of the standard windows and mac world. linux and unix systems are something i want to learn. recently a friend of mine ...

  1. New to SGI Need Some Help

    HI ALL

    im totaly new to SGI, i have no experience with them and really not
    much outside of the standard windows and mac world. linux and unix
    systems are something i want to learn. recently a friend of mine gave
    me a SGI O2 box. he picked it up from an estate sale and figured id
    like it. anyway, it has no manuals and no media disks with it.

    ive started up the system [running irix 6.5; but its listed as 6.2 and
    6.3 in some places on some screens] and it will not startup. it
    errors out with about 100 lines of code that i dont understand, and
    nothing appears to be mounting. worse yet i have no root pass; so im
    not quite sure what to do with it; any hints?

    also, how did you all learn the system? any reccomendations for
    someone to learn this as a hobby? websites and books are great, and im
    in no hurry to learn.

    i also wonder is it possible to wipe the system and install a linux
    distro on it; if infact the system is not recoverable? thank you for
    your time!

    Scott

  2. Re: New to SGI Need Some Help

    In article ,
    scott_r_alvarado@yahoo.com (Scott) wrote:

    : no media disks with it.

    Your first step is to go to ebay and rectify that situation.

    : ive started up the system [running irix 6.5; but its listed as 6.2 and
    : 6.3 in some places on some screens] and it will not startup. it
    : errors out with about 100 lines of code that i dont understand, and
    : nothing appears to be mounting. worse yet i have no root pass; so im
    : not quite sure what to do with it; any hints?

    First, see above.

    Second, try transcribing any important looking bits of the errors. If there's
    really too much to copy, hook up a serial terminal (like a PC + null modem
    cable) to the first serial port, drop into the PROM command shell and type
    'setenv console d' (no quotes), then reboot as normal. Console output should now
    appear on the serial port at 9600/8n1. ('setenv console g' puts the console
    output back on the monitor)

    Third, in the PROM command shell again, execute 'resetenv'. Sometimes the O2
    gets a bit of amnesia and can't quite remember where the boot drive is.

    : also, how did you all learn the system? any reccomendations for
    : someone to learn this as a hobby? websites and books are great, and im
    : in no hurry to learn.

    http://techpubs.sgi.com/ should be in your bookmark list. Other than that, dive
    in and get dirty.

    : i also wonder is it possible to wipe the system and install a linux
    : distro on it; if infact the system is not recoverable? thank you for
    : your time!

    Don't bother with linux. SGI hardware is a third class citizen in linux-land
    (with x86 being first-class, and professionally supported architectures like PPC
    being second-class).

    Just remember to NEVER NEVER NEVER remove the system board with the power cord
    plugged in and you should be safe.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --

  3. Re: New to SGI Need Some Help

    > ive started up the system [running irix 6.5; but its listed as 6.2 and
    > 6.3 in some places on some screens] and it will not startup. it
    > errors out with about 100 lines of code that i dont understand, and
    > nothing appears to be mounting. worse yet i have no root pass; so im
    > not quite sure what to do with it; any hints?

    I'd start to check if the hardware is OK. Interupt the boot process and
    enter "System diagnostics" or attach a terminal to the serial port and
    choose "run diagnostics".

    http://www.nekochan.net is a good site

    http://techpubs.sgi.com has all Sgi manuals online. Just download and read :-)

    > i also wonder is it possible to wipe the system and install a linux
    > distro on it; if infact the system is not recoverable? thank you for

    Nope, Linux won't run on the O2. Besides Irix is much more fun than Linux.

    All Sgi boxes are recoverable :-)

    The amount of work needed can differ though :-)

    /Muller

+ Reply to Thread