KDE/Qt Compile Problems - SGI

This is a discussion on KDE/Qt Compile Problems - SGI ; Hello NG, so everybody told me to forget Linux cause its not usable on a Octane I tried to build the System how I like. I installed GCC and some other stuff from freeware.sgi.com and now i tried to make ...

  1. KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    Hello NG,

    so everybody told me to forget Linux cause its not usable on a Octane I
    tried to build the System how I like.

    I installed GCC and some other stuff from freeware.sgi.com and now i tried
    to make the first step to replace the IRIX Desktop with KDE, to compile QT.

    First thing I noticed is, that I have to move /usr/bin/CC..cc..c++ because
    the ./configure tries to use the SGI compiler. Well maybe its better to use
    the SGI but I can't, it ask me for a license - crazy!

    After this it starts to compile and the it stops:

    CC -o qmake project.o property.o main.o makefile.o unixmake2.o
    unixmake.o msvc_nmake.o borland_bmake.o mingw_make.o msvc_dsp.o
    msvc_vcproj.o option.o winmakefile.o projectgenerator.o metrowerks_xml.o
    pbuilder_pbx.o msvc_objectmodel.o meta.o qstring.o qtextstream.o
    qiodevice.o qglobal.o qgdict.o qcstring.o qdatastream.o qgarray.o
    qbuffer.o qglist.o qptrcollection.o qfile.o qfile_unix.o qregexp.o
    qgvector.o qgcache.o qbitarray.o qdir.o quuid.o qfileinfo_unix.o
    qdir_unix.o qfileinfo.o qdatetime.o qstringlist.o qmap.o qconfig.o
    qunicodetables.o qsettings.o
    ld32: WARNING 47: This module (unixmake2.o .text) contains branch
    instruction(s)
    that might degrade performance on an older version (rev. 2.2) R4000
    processor.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "operator new(unsigned)" -- 1st
    referenced by project.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "operator delete(void*)" -- 1st
    referenced by project.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "operator new[](unsigned)" -- 1st
    referenced by qstring.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "operator delete[](void*)" -- 1st
    referenced by qstring.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "vtable for
    __cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info" -- 1st referenced by project.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "vtable for
    __cxxabiv1::__class_type_info" -- 1st referenced by makefile.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "__cxa_pure_virtual" -- 1st
    referenced by msvc_vcproj.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "vtable for
    __cxxabiv1::__vmi_class_type_info" -- 1st referenced by qgcache.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "__gxx_personality_v0" -- 1st
    referenced by project.o.
    Use linker option -v to see when and which objects, archives and
    dsos are loaded.
    ld32: INFO 152: Output file removed because of error.
    collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
    *** Error code 1 (bu21)
    qmake failed to build. Aborting.

    Any ideas how i can fix this or experiences in compilig QT 3.2.0b2/KDE 3.1.1
    on SGI IRIX 6.5 ?

    --Holger

  2. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    > Nope. That what setenv CC /usr/freeware/bin/gcc (before you do the
    > configure) is for.

    Ok, but this will not solve the compile error. I tried an export CC=gcc (I
    use a bash) and the configure still used the CC from SGI. Maybe I had to
    use the full path.

    Holger

  3. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    Alexis Cousein wrote:
    > But moving the compiler "out of the way" didn't solve your problem -- as
    > you saw, the *link* line was still using MIPSPro, and the C++ name
    > mangling means you can't mix g++ and MIPSPro objects -- indeed, even the
    > *libraries* you link in have to be the gcc-provided ones.

    The gcc is in the right place and I switched my shell to csh. I did the
    needed setenv and tried to compile. It still uses the IRIX CC. Why ?

    The PATH is also set. A gcc from Shell works, compiled other Projects
    withourt any problems.

    sgidbn02 24# setenv CPP /usr/freeware/bin/g++
    sgidbn02 25# setenv CC /usr/freeware/bin/gcc
    sgidbn02 26# ./configure

    This is the Qt/X11 Free Edition.

    You are licensed to use this software under the terms of either
    the Q Public License (QPL) or the GNU General Public License (GPL).

    Type 'Q' to view the Q Public License.
    Type 'G' to view the GNU General Public License.
    Type 'yes' to accept this license offer.
    Type 'no' to decline this license offer.

    Do you accept the terms of either license? yes

    Creating qmake. Please wait...
    CC -c -o project.o -I. -Igenerators -Igenerators/unix
    -Igenerators/win32 -Igenerators/mac -I/usr/lib/qt3/include/qmake
    -I/usr/lib/qt3/include -I/usr/lib/qt3/include -DQT_NO_TEXTCODEC
    -DQT_NO_UNICODETABLES -DQT_NO_COMPONENT -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPRESS
    -I/usr/lib/qt3/mkspecs/irix-cc -DHAVE_QCONFIG_CPP project.cpp
    No such feature exists (-5,116)

    The MIPSpro C++ Compiler
    (license FEATURE string = cpp)
    requires a license password.

    For license installation and trouble shooting
    information visit the web page:

    http://www.sgi.com/Support/Licensing/install_docs.html

    To obtain a Permanent license (proof of purchase
    required) or an Evaluation license please
    visit our license request web page:

    http://www.sgi.com/Products/license.html

    or send a blank email message to:

    license@sgi.com

    In North America, Silicon Graphics' customers may request
    Permanent licenses by sending a facsimile to:

    (650) 932-0537

    or by calling our technical support hotline

    1-800-800-4SGI

    If you are Outside of North America or you are not a Silicon
    Graphics support customer then contact your local support provider.

    CC ERROR: cannot exec /usr/lib32/cmplrs/fecc
    *** Error code 2 (bu21)
    qmake failed to build. Aborting.

  4. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    Holger Banko wrote:

    > CC ERROR: cannot exec /usr/lib32/cmplrs/fecc
    > *** Error code 2 (bu21)
    > qmake failed to build. Aborting.

    Ah -- you *don't* have the MIPSPro compiler.

    Why configure won't Do the Right Thing even in the presence
    of the CC and CPP variables is a bug in the configure
    environment (at least for the IRIX plus GCC combo) -- but
    you're in a better position to debug that than I am .

    [The freeware.sgi.com people who do KDE/Qt builds do use
    the MIPSPro compilers, so they'll likely not trip over these
    issues]

  5. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    Holger Banko writes:

    > Alexis Cousein wrote:
    > > But moving the compiler "out of the way" didn't solve your problem -- as
    > > you saw, the *link* line was still using MIPSPro, and the C++ name
    > > mangling means you can't mix g++ and MIPSPro objects -- indeed, even the
    > > *libraries* you link in have to be the gcc-provided ones.

    > The gcc is in the right place and I switched my shell to csh. I did the
    > needed setenv and tried to compile. It still uses the IRIX CC. Why ?

    Try setting CXX to g++

    *p

  6. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems <-- solved

    Well I solved the problem. The solution was RTFM :-).

    In $qtdir/platform I found the hint I needed, I have to use the configure
    option

    -platform irix-g++

    to use the GCC instead of the IRIX MIPS Compiler.

    The compilation is now running, hope it will end successful.

    Thanks to everybody

    --Holger

    Holger Banko wrote:
    > Per Ekman wrote:
    >>> The gcc is in the right place and I switched my shell to csh. I did the
    >>> needed setenv and tried to compile. It still uses the IRIX CC. Why ?

    >> Try setting CXX to g++

    > Still have the problem. Another thing I tried is to create a
    > /etc/make.conf with these variables set but without any success too.
    >
    > --Holger

  7. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    In article <3F1E5967.3070706@brussels.sgi.com>,
    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    : [The freeware.sgi.com people who do KDE/Qt builds do use
    : the MIPSPro compilers, so they'll likely not trip over these
    : issues]

    Since when do the freeware folks do KDE builds? The last one I see on the
    website is KDE-1 from Jan '99.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --

  8. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    > In article <3F1E5967.3070706@brussels.sgi.com>,
    > Alexis Cousein wrote:
    >
    > : [The freeware.sgi.com people who do KDE/Qt builds do use
    > : the MIPSPro compilers, so they'll likely not trip over these
    > : issues]
    >
    > Since when do the freeware folks do KDE builds? The last one I see on the
    > website is KDE-1 from Jan '99.

    Well, it's no secret where you should send request to -- it's on th web page.
    And if you have hints about how to build -- feel free.

  9. Re: KDE/Qt Compile Problems

    In article <3F1F0AEE.5030905@brussels.sgi.com>,
    Alexis Cousein wrote:

    : Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler wrote:
    [...]
    : > Since when do the freeware folks do KDE builds? The last one I see on the
    : > website is KDE-1 from Jan '99.
    : >
    : Well, it's no secret where you should send request to -- it's on th web page.
    : And if you have hints about how to build -- feel free.

    Well it doesn't bother me, I just build it myself.

    Compiling it is just a Simple Matter Of Porting for anyone skilled in the art. I
    think the only tricky bit is making sure you get all the rpaths right, and
    making sure you patch 'moc' in qt so it outputs proper namespaced code (it omits
    some namespaces to work around an MSVC++ bug, yuck!)... and of course waiting
    centuries for the actual compile to take place.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --