Gauntlet 4.1 (firewall) for Irix, the turnkey "SGI WebForce Firewall" product..? - SGI

This is a discussion on Gauntlet 4.1 (firewall) for Irix, the turnkey "SGI WebForce Firewall" product..? - SGI ; hi all... ok, hoping to get some information about the old turnkey firewall solution SGI used to sell that was based upon the o2 platform, and integrated the TIS Gauntlet 4.1 firewall software, w/ a SGI-derived graphical front-end... any here ...

  1. Gauntlet 4.1 (firewall) for Irix, the turnkey "SGI WebForce Firewall" product..?

    hi all... ok, hoping to get some information about the old turnkey
    firewall solution SGI used to sell that was based upon the o2
    platform, and integrated the TIS Gauntlet 4.1 firewall software, w/ a
    SGI-derived graphical front-end... any here w/ good memories remember
    this offering? i can find only vague references to the product via
    google, and am interested in setting one of these up for my home
    network if possible. what i'm needing to know is..:

    what were the hardware requirements to run the firewall package? is it
    just a regular o2 w/ an additional NIC installed?

    is the SGI-modified version of gauntlet 4.1 available through any
    channels whatsover, or on the secondhand market? i am aware that this
    is now a totally unsupported product by SGI, so i figured they would
    not be any help w/ acquiring the software package itself...

    i've got a r10k 175MHz o2 w/ 512mb of ram collecting dust over here,
    and would love to give it a new purpose in life (and my cheap NetGear
    ethernet router is flaking out on me lately, a nice excuse for an o2
    refit project!). if any kind soul could offer any information or
    pointers about the WebForce o2 Firewall (or the recreation thereof),
    i'd be greatly appreciative... thx all..!

  2. Re: Gauntlet 4.1 (firewall) for Irix, the turnkey "SGI WebForceFirewall" product..?

    exsanguination wrote:

    > hi all... ok, hoping to get some information about the old turnkey
    > firewall solution SGI used to sell that was based upon the o2
    > platform, and integrated the TIS Gauntlet 4.1 firewall software, w/ a
    > SGI-derived graphical front-end... any here w/ good memories remember
    > this offering? i can find only vague references to the product via
    > google, and am interested in setting one of these up for my home
    > network if possible. what i'm needing to know is..:
    >
    > what were the hardware requirements to run the firewall package? is it
    > just a regular o2 w/ an additional NIC installed?
    >
    > is the SGI-modified version of gauntlet 4.1 available through any
    > channels whatsover, or on the secondhand market? i am aware that this
    > is now a totally unsupported product by SGI, so i figured they would
    > not be any help w/ acquiring the software package itself...
    >
    > i've got a r10k 175MHz o2 w/ 512mb of ram collecting dust over here,
    > and would love to give it a new purpose in life (and my cheap NetGear
    > ethernet router is flaking out on me lately, a nice excuse for an o2
    > refit project!). if any kind soul could offer any information or
    > pointers about the WebForce o2 Firewall (or the recreation thereof),
    > i'd be greatly appreciative... thx all..!

    from what I recall, it has been discontinued, and there was an exploit
    that was never fixed (since its discontinued), therefore rendering it
    useless as a firewall solution. I could be wrong....
    cheers!
    mike

  3. Re: Gauntlet 4.1 (firewall) for Irix, the turnkey "SGI WebForceFirewall" product..?

    exsanguination wrote:

    Hi exsanguination,

    > hi all... ok, hoping to get some information about the old turnkey
    > firewall solution SGI used to sell that was based upon the o2
    > platform, and integrated the TIS Gauntlet 4.1 firewall software, w/ a
    > SGI-derived graphical front-end... any here w/ good memories remember
    > this offering? i can find only vague references to the product via
    > google, and am interested in setting one of these up for my home
    > network if possible. what i'm needing to know is..:

    site dedicated to Gauntlet discussion. Checking that out should get you
    more information on your package.

    > what were the hardware requirements to run the firewall package? is it
    > just a regular o2 w/ an additional NIC installed?

    I'd figure as much. That and checking that your system is able to
    forward packets between the 2 interfaces:

    IRIS 1# netstat -s -p ip | grep forwarding

    > is the SGI-modified version of gauntlet 4.1 available through any
    > channels whatsover, or on the secondhand market? i am aware that this
    > is now a totally unsupported product by SGI, so i figured they would
    > not be any help w/ acquiring the software package itself...

    One thing. It seems that 4.1 was released in 1997/8. That's quite dated.
    Have you considered SGI's packet filter, ipfilterd, as part of the
    eoe.sw.ipgate subsystem? It does a good job and I've been running it
    for a long time on my SGI's here at home.
    Another alternative is Darren Reeds ipfilter (not ipfilterd) which also
    incorporates state inspection and NAT.
    Hope this helps.

    Yours,

    Josh.

    ..------------------------------------------------.
    | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    | Noorg, Inc |
    | ---------------------------------------------- |
    | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    | & handling available for download at: |
    | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |
    `------------------------------------------------'

  4. Re: Gauntlet 4.1 (firewall) for Irix, the turnkey "SGI WebForce Firewall" product..?

    thx to you for your reply Josh... i will look into the two packages
    you mentioned, and visit the forum at gauntlet.org (heh, my googling
    missed that entirely!)... i know the Webforce firewall won't be a
    mission-critical solution or anything of that sort, but i thought w/ a
    bit of patching up it would suffice for a non-critical home network,
    and a fun project to revive my aging o2... also, i must admit, the
    screenshots i have seen from the Webforce firewall show the *very*
    cool GUI that SGI developed for this project, and probably display one
    of the coolest network traffic stats i've seen. thx for the info, i
    will dig over at that forum and if any interesting bits come to the
    surface i will report them here in the group for others..!

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:18:06 -0400, Josh Birnbaum
    wrote:

    >exsanguination wrote:
    >
    >Hi exsanguination,
    >
    >> hi all... ok, hoping to get some information about the old turnkey
    >> firewall solution SGI used to sell that was based upon the o2
    >> platform, and integrated the TIS Gauntlet 4.1 firewall software, w/ a
    >> SGI-derived graphical front-end... any here w/ good memories remember
    >> this offering? i can find only vague references to the product via
    >> google, and am interested in setting one of these up for my home
    >> network if possible. what i'm needing to know is..:

    >site dedicated to Gauntlet discussion. Checking that out should get you
    >more information on your package.
    >
    >> what were the hardware requirements to run the firewall package? is it
    >> just a regular o2 w/ an additional NIC installed?

    >I'd figure as much. That and checking that your system is able to
    >forward packets between the 2 interfaces:
    >
    >IRIS 1# netstat -s -p ip | grep forwarding
    >
    >> is the SGI-modified version of gauntlet 4.1 available through any
    >> channels whatsover, or on the secondhand market? i am aware that this
    >> is now a totally unsupported product by SGI, so i figured they would
    >> not be any help w/ acquiring the software package itself...

    >One thing. It seems that 4.1 was released in 1997/8. That's quite dated.
    >Have you considered SGI's packet filter, ipfilterd, as part of the
    >eoe.sw.ipgate subsystem? It does a good job and I've been running it
    >for a long time on my SGI's here at home.
    >Another alternative is Darren Reeds ipfilter (not ipfilterd) which also
    >incorporates state inspection and NAT.
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >Yours,
    >
    >Josh.

    >| Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    >| President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    >| Noorg, Inc |
    >| ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    >| & handling available for download at: |
    >| http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |

+ Reply to Thread