Octane and Linux - SGI

This is a discussion on Octane and Linux - SGI ; Hello NG, I want to install Linux on a SGI Octane Machine. Didn't found any information on the Web if its possible or not. Just found something about Indy, Indio and O2... Seems thats the Debian-MIPS distribution can work. Anybody ...

  1. Octane and Linux

    Hello NG,

    I want to install Linux on a SGI Octane Machine. Didn't found any
    information on the Web if its possible or not. Just found something about
    Indy, Indio and O2... Seems thats the Debian-MIPS distribution can work.

    Anybody here who has a hint for me ?

    Holger

  2. Re: Octane and Linux

    Holger Banko wrote:
    > Hello NG,
    >
    > I want to install Linux on a SGI Octane Machine.

    why?

    > Didn't found any
    > information on the Web if its possible or not.

    not possible.

    > Just found something about
    > Indy, Indio and O2... Seems thats the Debian-MIPS distribution can work.
    > Anybody here who has a hint for me ?

    God created geese in the wild to be chased.

    grts,

    avi

  3. Re: Octane and Linux

    Holger Banko wrote:

    > Hello NG,
    >
    > I want to install Linux on a SGI Octane Machine. Didn't found any
    > information on the Web if its possible or not. Just found something about
    > Indy, Indio and O2... Seems thats the Debian-MIPS distribution can work.
    >
    > Anybody here who has a hint for me ?

    http://www.linux-mips.org/ is the home for the Linux port to MIPS
    processors. They don't mention Octane at all, but you can probably
    conclude that means it is unsupported.

    It is important to realize that even if the Linux kernel does run, you
    will not have support for graphics on your Octane. (Only Indy's
    "Newport" graphics are supported, and then only in an unaccelerated
    mode.)

    That begs the question, "why"? Most opensource Linux software can be
    compiled for IRIX (and much is available in pre-compiled packages at
    http://freeware.sgi.com/). Any closed-source Linux applications are
    likely to be Linux/ia32 (and sometimes Linux/PPC or Linux/Alpha) but
    unavailable for Linux/MIPS.

  4. Re: Octane and Linux

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:12:06 +0200, Holger Banko wrote:
    > I want to install Linux on a SGI Octane Machine.

    Why?

    As far as I know there isn't any working port at all.

    Gerhard

  5. Re: Octane and Linux

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:39:47 +0200, Holger Banko wrote:
    > I dont have any experiences in administrating an IRIX System. Well its
    > "Unix" and is useable for me but I used to use Linux so I fell more
    > comfortable with it.

    Personally I enjoyed my switch to IRIX from Linux some year ago. Both
    are pretty much SysV related and if you are somewhat experienced in
    administrating Linux by 'vi' you shouldn't be too worried about your
    first experiences with IRIX.

    > If there is no way, then I will try it with IRIX and KDE and all the other
    > nice things I love to use.

    I'd stick with the basic IRIX desktop and install the relevant libraries
    for your applications. That way I'm using gimp, sylpheed, mozilla,
    bluefish, etc. on IRIX without IRIX-specific problems.

    > Then the next problem will be to "hack" my Octane, I dont have the ROOT
    > password :-). Maybe I can mount the ROOT Filesytem from Linux and modify
    > the /etc/passwd.

    From Linux you should at least be able to use crack on /etc/passwd.
    Don't know if Linux/IRIX can write XFS on the same disk without
    problems.

    Gerhard

  6. Re: Octane and Linux

    Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:39:47 +0200, Holger Banko wrote:
    > > I dont have any experiences in administrating an IRIX System. Well its
    > > "Unix" and is useable for me but I used to use Linux so I fell more
    > > comfortable with it.

    > Personally I enjoyed my switch to IRIX from Linux some year ago. Both
    > are pretty much SysV related and if you are somewhat experienced in
    > administrating Linux by 'vi' you shouldn't be too worried about your
    > first experiences with IRIX.

    I'm constantly going back and forth between Linux and IRIX now, having
    come from a Linux background (and Solaris before that).

    I found IRIX a little intimidating at first, but then I installed (from
    the freeware site): Bash, GNU tar, gcc, and GNU make and suddenly I
    felt right at home.

+ Reply to Thread