Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..? - SGI

This is a discussion on Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..? - SGI ; an inquiry i made a long time ago here on the usenet regarding how well KDE and Gnome perform on Irix boxes only garnered some responses warning that neither worked very well... is this still the case? i have a ...

  1. Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..?

    an inquiry i made a long time ago here on the usenet regarding how
    well KDE and Gnome perform on Irix boxes only garnered some responses
    warning that neither worked very well... is this still the case? i
    have a fairly beefy Octane2 (dual r12k 300's, 2Gb ram) and wanted to
    try out one of the more modern, eye-candyish GUI's sometime soon...
    are certain version of said windowmanagers better performers, less
    buggy? any recommendations or suggestions would be great, thx all..!

  2. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..?

    In article <83bjhvck07c7guhmtcs0n7u94ktmilh3uf@4ax.com>,
    exsanguination wrote:

    : an inquiry i made a long time ago here on the usenet regarding how
    : well KDE and Gnome perform on Irix boxes only garnered some responses
    : warning that neither worked very well... is this still the case? i
    : have a fairly beefy Octane2 (dual r12k 300's, 2Gb ram) and wanted to
    : try out one of the more modern, eye-candyish GUI's sometime soon...
    : are certain version of said windowmanagers better performers, less
    : buggy? any recommendations or suggestions would be great, thx all..!

    KDE works reasonably well on my Octane (2x250, 256M). It's a bit of a chore to
    compile though, set aside a few days if you go that way. I think there's
    precompiled packages somewhere too (not on freeware.sgi.com though).

    The biggest problem I find is that most GUIs these days seem to be designed to
    be displayed on monitors only slightly smaller than the entire eurasian land
    mass, so even 1600x1200 can start feeling a bit cramped and cluttered. It seems
    like nothing SGI sells short of an Onyx* system can break the 3MPixel barrier.

    Kind of a minor bummer, when a $50 PC vid card comes with a 400MHz RAMDAC.

    Of course, it's not like many monitors are breaking the 3MPixel barrier either,
    so I guess I can't complain too much.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --

  3. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix6.5.19+..?

    Both desktops should work okay, but I found some strange things
    happening with parts of the desktop which are threaded (everything is
    typically developed with LinuxThreads...). Also remember that the Indigo
    Magic (or IRIX Interactive) Desktop has been written to take advantage
    of certain features which are present on SGI machines, such as overlay
    planes (used when e.g.: resizing windows, dragging files...).

    Sadly there aren't inst-able packages available for either (recent)
    KDE or GNOME to the best of my knowledge - so if you want to try either
    you'll have to build them yourself (there are scripts available to do
    this for both GNOME and KDE - I've done KDE3 manually before, I wouldn't
    want to do GNOME manually -- look on www.gnomedesktop.org for
    GARNOME...).

    Ralph

    exsanguination wrote:
    > an inquiry i made a long time ago here on the usenet regarding how
    > well KDE and Gnome perform on Irix boxes only garnered some responses
    > warning that neither worked very well... is this still the case? i
    > have a fairly beefy Octane2 (dual r12k 300's, 2Gb ram) and wanted to
    > try out one of the more modern, eye-candyish GUI's sometime soon...
    > are certain version of said windowmanagers better performers, less
    > buggy? any recommendations or suggestions would be great, thx all..!

    --
    ralph thomas - ralpht@sgi.com
    http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht

  4. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..?

    Ralph Thomas wrote:

    > Sadly there aren't inst-able packages available for either (recent)
    > KDE or GNOME to the best of my knowledge - so if you want to try either
    > you'll have to build them yourself (there are scripts available to do
    > this for both GNOME and KDE - I've done KDE3 manually before, I wouldn't
    > want to do GNOME manually -- look on www.gnomedesktop.org for
    > GARNOME...).

    I did GNOME manually just after GNOME.2.2.x came out on my 250Mhz O2.

    I kept it for three days or so and reverted back to IMD. It was way too
    sluggish for my taste and didn;t offer any major improvements over IMD
    to warrant the speed difference.

    Besides the number of apps that actually need GNOME is not that great.
    GIMP never needed GNOME, sodipodi was rewritten to use Gtk+ and some
    minor libs, gftp never needed it, pan doesn't, gaim doesn't, mozilla
    doesn;t, blender definately doesn;t, and neither does OpenOffice, or
    does xchat. As to 'real apps': framemaker doesn;t, maya doesn;t, houdini
    doesn;t, flame/infermo et al. don't, mirai doesn't, ifx pirahna doesn;t.
    The list goes on.

    That said, there are some cool features in GNOME, especially the support
    for SMB (ms-windows) filesystems in the filemanager.

    So, in my opinion unless you're well and truly sick of looking at the
    SGI style Motif widgets and non-AA fonts (you can get AA in gtk 2.2x
    apps though), or unless you want to experiment with KDE/GNOME I see
    little reason to replace IMD on any SGI desktop.

    grts,

    avi

    PS. On the other hand you may be working for an organisation that has a
    'we only support GNOME and MS Windows' type policy. In which case I hope
    you're good mates with the sysadmin,because you really don;t want to run
    GNOME on a older (<400Mhz) SGI desktop machine

  5. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..?

    wow, thanks for all the replies and clarifications friends... this
    definitely helps me plan my next weekend project. so, it sounds like
    most here are not using these at all then, i am a touch surprised as
    after years of sitting in front of the vanilla IMD desktop, i am
    honestly really tired of it.

    "In which case I hope you're good mates with the sysadmin,because you
    really don;t want to run GNOME on a older (<400Mhz) SGI desktop
    machine "

    really? this actually surprises me quite a bit, are you just speaking
    of Gnome or KDE as well? i really would have thought that a dual
    r12000a 300MHz machine w/ 2Gb of system memory would be sufficient for
    running a modern windowmanager GUI... wow. this machine is really
    going to serve purpose as an actual desktop machine, where i need a
    safe *nix environment for constant SSH sessions and VPN inclusion,
    along w/ some browsing and light coding/scripting work (the compiling
    can take place on another Irix box on the network)... so, was i remiss
    in thinking that this machine could serve the purpose i describe above
    w/out performance problems? a bit disheartening... perhaps my memory
    is clouded w/ time but i remember when i first played w/ an Octane2 at
    the initial launch and i remember thinking it felt a very powerful and
    responsive machine.

    thx again for all the input friends, hope all had a wonderful
    weekend..!

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:31:28 +0200, Avi Bercovich
    wrote:

    >Ralph Thomas wrote:
    >
    >> Sadly there aren't inst-able packages available for either (recent)
    >> KDE or GNOME to the best of my knowledge - so if you want to try either
    >> you'll have to build them yourself (there are scripts available to do
    >> this for both GNOME and KDE - I've done KDE3 manually before, I wouldn't
    >> want to do GNOME manually -- look on www.gnomedesktop.org for
    >> GARNOME...).

    >I did GNOME manually just after GNOME.2.2.x came out on my 250Mhz O2.
    >
    >I kept it for three days or so and reverted back to IMD. It was way too
    >sluggish for my taste and didn;t offer any major improvements over IMD
    >to warrant the speed difference.
    >
    >Besides the number of apps that actually need GNOME is not that great.
    >GIMP never needed GNOME, sodipodi was rewritten to use Gtk+ and some
    >minor libs, gftp never needed it, pan doesn't, gaim doesn't, mozilla
    >doesn;t, blender definately doesn;t, and neither does OpenOffice, or
    >does xchat. As to 'real apps': framemaker doesn;t, maya doesn;t, houdini
    >doesn;t, flame/infermo et al. don't, mirai doesn't, ifx pirahna doesn;t.
    >The list goes on.
    >
    >That said, there are some cool features in GNOME, especially the support
    >for SMB (ms-windows) filesystems in the filemanager.
    >
    >So, in my opinion unless you're well and truly sick of looking at the
    >SGI style Motif widgets and non-AA fonts (you can get AA in gtk 2.2x
    >apps though), or unless you want to experiment with KDE/GNOME I see
    >little reason to replace IMD on any SGI desktop.
    >
    >grts,
    >
    >avi
    >
    >PS. On the other hand you may be working for an organisation that has a
    >'we only support GNOME and MS Windows' type policy. In which case I hope
    >you're good mates with the sysadmin,because you really don;t want to run
    >GNOME on a older (<400Mhz) SGI desktop machine

  6. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..?

    exsanguination writes:

    > wow, thanks for all the replies and clarifications friends... this
    > definitely helps me plan my next weekend project. so, it sounds like
    > most here are not using these at all then, i am a touch surprised as
    > after years of sitting in front of the vanilla IMD desktop, i am
    > honestly really tired of it.

    Why not try a different windows manager (note: not desktop
    environment, which I believe IMD is)?

    http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

    I used ctwm on an Indy for, oh, four years. Worked
    like a charm:

    http://www.reimeika.ca/marco/data/ctwm/

    (my configrc would drive you insane, but it's as documented
    as any configrc you'll ever find).

    Anyhoo, have fun with whatever you choose -- that's the
    whole point, after all

    Cheers,

    --
    marco@reimeika.ca
    Gunnm: Broken Angel

  7. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix 6.5.19+..?

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:05:34 +0200, Avi Bercovich
    wrote:

    >exsanguination wrote:
    >
    >> "In which case I hope you're good mates with the sysadmin,because you
    >> really don;t want to run GNOME on a older (<400Mhz) SGI desktop
    >> machine "
    >>
    >> really? this actually surprises me quite a bit, are you just speaking
    >> of Gnome or KDE as well?

    >I;m speaking of GNOME. I have heard from friends that run KDE on intel
    >tell me that it's more responsive and is 'lighter' than GNOME. But I
    >cannot confirm this from my own experience.
    >
    >> i really would have thought that a dual
    >> r12000a 300MHz machine w/ 2Gb of system memory would be sufficient for
    >> running a modern windowmanager GUI...

    >The machine you describe is a fine unit and it will run a windowmanager
    >plenty quick. The thing is that GNOME isn;t a mere 'windowmanager'. It's
    >a huge expansive mass of code with a widget toolkit with exotic langauge
    >and font AA support, an API for applications development, a 'user
    >friendly' desktop environment with control panels, wizards and a CDE+MS
    >Windows inspired 'dock bar' and a CORBA based component architecture.
    >It's simply huge.
    >
    >I've run GNOME on a bunch of intel systems and my experience is that you
    >need at least an 600-700Mhz CPU with at least 512Mb ram for it to run
    >smoothly. I;ve also run it on a 250Mhz r10k O2. If I'm generous and say
    >that your 300Mhz r12k unit is equal to a 600Mhz ia32 box on CPU bound
    >tasks, and that it's faster than my O2, I think the octane will still be
    >sluggish as GNOME will take very little advantage of the 64bitness of
    >your Octane or of your dual processors. Also, SGI's Xserver has no
    >support for the RENDER extension so font AA is done in software
    >consuming yet more precious CPU cycles.
    >
    >All in all, I'd rather sink those CPU cycles into running applications
    >than into propping up a Desktop.
    >
    >>wow. this machine is really
    >> going to serve purpose as an actual desktop machine, where i need a
    >> safe *nix environment for constant SSH sessions and VPN inclusion,
    >> along w/ some browsing and light coding/scripting work (the compiling
    >> can take place on another Irix box on the network)... so, was i remiss
    >> in thinking that this machine could serve the purpose i describe above
    >> w/out performance problems? a bit disheartening...

    >By all means try and compile GNOME and see if it suits your needs. I can
    >only report that it was slow for me. So slow that I don;t believe that
    >an extra 50Mhz + some other Octane/r12k related speed increases will
    >provide the extra muscle needed to make GNOME run smoothly.
    >
    >> perhaps my memory
    >> is clouded w/ time but i remember when i first played w/ an Octane2 at
    >> the initial launch and i remember thinking it felt a very powerful and
    >> responsive machine.

    >Yes, but it was probably running IMD and other software that might have
    >been coded with specific Octane strengths in mind.

> [...]

    thanks to you avi for all your concise input, that clears up quite a
    bit. to be honest, i'd much rather prefer to try out KDE on my
    Octane2, i was only bringing up Gnome as i assumed the two were very
    similar packages... i was obviously very wrong on that point! i will
    try out KDE3 however this coming weekend and pass on any findings here
    in the groups. thx all..!

  8. Re: Recent 'KDE' or 'Gnome' windowmanagers working ok w/ Irix6.5.19+..?

    >>exsanguination wrote:

    > thanks to you avi for all your concise input, that clears up quite a
    > bit. to be honest, i'd much rather prefer to try out KDE on my
    > Octane2, i was only bringing up Gnome as i assumed the two were very
    > similar packages... i was obviously very wrong on that point! i will
    > try out KDE3 however this coming weekend and pass on any findings here
    > in the groups. thx all..!

    Hey there,

    How did you get on with installing KDE 3? I'm thinking of trying it out
    on an R10000 octane, would be great ot hear how it performs.

    cheers

    --version

+ Reply to Thread