Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW - SGI

This is a discussion on Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW - SGI ; Hello, I Purchased a SGI 550 VW that came with Win NT4 and I want to install Win XP. Does anyone know if it is possible to runn Win XP on a SGI 500 VW and if so how do ...

  1. Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW

    Hello,
    I Purchased a SGI 550 VW that came with Win NT4 and I want to install
    Win XP. Does anyone know if it is possible to runn Win XP on a SGI 500
    VW and if so how do you install it.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW

    Life wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I Purchased a SGI 550 VW that came with Win NT4 and I want to install
    > Win XP. Does anyone know if it is possible to runn Win XP on a SGI 500
    > VW and if so how do you install it.
    > Thanks.

    No, Microsoft dropped support for VW series. You will have to use Win2k
    or live with NT4.

  3. Re: Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, it was written:

    > Life wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > I Purchased a SGI 550 VW that came with Win NT4 and I want to install
    > > Win XP. Does anyone know if it is possible to runn Win XP on a SGI 500
    > > VW and if so how do you install it.
    > > Thanks.

    > No, Microsoft dropped support for VW series. You will have to use Win2k
    > or live with NT4.

    This is incorrect. The VW 320 and 540, which had a unique system
    architecture, were dropped. The 230, 330, and 550 are, for all
    practcal purposes, normal PCs that should be able to run any stock
    PC operating system you throw at it.

    Brent

    --
    Brent Casavant bcasavan@sgi.com Forget bright-eyed and
    Operating System Engineer http://www.sgi.com/ bushy-tailed; I'm red-

  4. Re: Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW

    Brent Casavant wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, it was written:
    >

    >>Life wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I Purchased a SGI 550 VW that came with Win NT4 and I want to install
    >>>Win XP. Does anyone know if it is possible to runn Win XP on a SGI 500
    >>>VW and if so how do you install it.
    >>>Thanks.

    >>No, Microsoft dropped support for VW series. You will have to use Win2k
    >>or live with NT4.

    > This is incorrect. The VW 320 and 540, which had a unique system
    > architecture, were dropped. The 230, 330, and 550 are, for all
    > practcal purposes, normal PCs that should be able to run any stock
    > PC operating system you throw at it.
    >
    > Brent

    Oops, sorry they are right, you can install anything you want.

  5. Re: Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW

    fishbulb wrote in message news:<3v0Sa.685$mo4.233@fe01.atl2.webusenet.com>...
    > Brent Casavant wrote:

    > >>No, Microsoft dropped support for VW series. You will have to use Win2k
    > >>or live with NT4.

    > > This is incorrect. The VW 320 and 540, which had a unique system
    > > architecture, were dropped. The 230, 330, and 550 are, for all
    > > practcal purposes, normal PCs that should be able to run any stock
    > > PC operating system you throw at it.
    > >
    > > Brent
    > >

    > Oops, sorry they are right, you can install anything you want.

    Great, Thanks guys. It's good that I can install any OS on the 550
    however, I can't seem to get rid of the NT4 OS that was pre-installed.
    Is there a special way to install a different OS on a 550 that won't
    lead to a dual booting situation? My objective is to have either W2K
    or XP as my sole OS.

  6. Re: Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW - Please stop cross-posting(n/t)

  7. Re: Changing OS to Win XP on SGI 550 VW

    "Life" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:b7da2728.0307181021.18f8f425@posting.google.c om...

    > I Purchased a SGI 550 VW that came with Win NT4 and I want to install
    > Win XP. Does anyone know if it is possible to runn Win XP on a SGI 500
    > VW and if so how do you install it.

    It is possible to run WinXP on the SGI550. However, be aware that the BIOS
    of these machines comes with crapped ACPI support, and XP relies completely
    on ACPI, so You eventually might expect some problems...

    Benjamin

+ Reply to Thread