Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance) - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance) - SGI ; "FalconFly" wrote in message news: ... > Something is stealing upto ~6% from the machines, and I wonder which of the currently > running background processes I could safely shutdown without losing basic functionality. Experiment. More than half can usually ...

  1. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance)

    "FalconFly" wrote in message news:...
    > Something is stealing upto ~6% from the machines, and I wonder which of the currently
    > running background processes I could safely shutdown without losing basic functionality.

    Experiment. More than half can usually be disabled. Do a google groups
    search for some past discussions on this.

    > I reckon my 3 SGI's just need some tweaking to catch up
    > (a GUI-less Text-only logon would be useful as well, but I haven't figured that out yet

    Disable X and login remotely and/or via text console?

    At the XDM/clogin screen you can login with username "root failsafe"
    to drop to a text console and kill X.

    There may be other options as well... I've only used SGIs as graphical
    workstations and as completely headless servers, never as a graphical
    workstation in "text mode".

  2. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance)

    > Disable X and login remotely and/or via text console?
    >
    > At the XDM/clogin screen you can login with username "root failsafe"
    > to drop to a text console and kill X.

    Login will always be local.
    Sounds like a good one, that way I wouldn't even have to change config to get it to run in
    Text only

    Greetings
    FalconFly

    Webmaster
    http://www.falconfly.de
    3dfx Archive
    ====================
    Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

  3. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximizeperformance)

    FalconFly wrote:

    Hi,

    > It will take some time for the Performance to settle, but it looks like it yielded a few %
    >
    > (really not much, but any boost for those very old machines is well received)
    >
    > The myriad of running (to me mostly unknown), cryptic named services are still slowing
    > them additionally I guess.
    > When I have time to spare, I'll look into shutting down as many as possible.

    Start reading the man pages for those processes that you can't
    identify. This will help in your becoming acquainted with your
    runtime environment.

    Beyond that, you might also want to look into sar, the System
    Activity Reporter which will allow you to indentify cpu, memory,
    disk, etc bottlenecks. sar is a real help with this.
    man sar.

    Yours,

    Josh.

    ..------------------------------------------------.
    | Josh Birnbaum Mail: engineer@noorg.org |
    | President Internet: www.noorg.org |
    | Noorg, Inc |
    | ---------------------------------------------- |
    | ifchk - host based promiscuous mode detection |
    | & handling available for download at: |
    | http://www.noorg.org/ifchk/ifchk.html |
    `------------------------------------------------'

  4. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance)

    > The largest user will probably be Xsgi, which you can get rid of by 'chkconfig
    > xdm off'. fam might be eating a bit too, and you can usually safely eliminate it.

    Hm, I just tried to disable Xsgi by using the Chkconfig xdm off Command as you advised.
    Still, the Xsgi process was seem running again after a Reboot (?)

    I couldn't find 'fam' in the config, so I take it it's not running.

    Using Top, the CPU load is roughly about 99% idle (Top itself using some 0.7%)

    Webmaster
    http://www.falconfly.de
    3dfx Archive
    ====================
    Forum : http://www.falconfly-central.de

  5. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximizeperformance)

    fam is started when you log in to the desktop (and is used to monitor
    for changes in files/dirs, so that the file manager always reflects
    reality and not history).
    I think that recent GNOME use SGI's open source fam to acomplish
    similar tasks on Linux.

    Ralph

    --
    ralph thomas - ralpht@sgi.com
    http://reality.sgi.com/ralpht

  6. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance)

    :
    : Hm, I just tried to disable Xsgi by using the Chkconfig xdm off Command as you advised.
    : Still, the Xsgi process was seem running again after a Reboot (?)

    Hmm, just checked and you also need 'chkconfig windowsystem off'.

    : I couldn't find 'fam' in the config, so I take it it's not running.

    I don't think there's any config variable to start/stop fam. it's just a process.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler -- Master of Code-fu -- nicoya@apia.dhs.org
    -- http://www.apia.dhs.org/ -- http://nicoya.feline.pp.se/ --

  7. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance)

    FalconFly wrote:

    >>The largest user will probably be Xsgi, which you can get rid of by 'chkconfig
    >>xdm off'. fam might be eating a bit too, and you can usually safely eliminate it.

    > Hm, I just tried to disable Xsgi by using the Chkconfig xdm off Command as you advised.
    > Still, the Xsgi process was seem running again after a Reboot (?)

    chkconfig windowsystem off
    chckconfig visuallogin off.

  8. Re: Irix 6.5 > what Processes are optional? (how to maximize performance)

    Okidok, all my 3 SGI's now run as pure Terminals

    Funny thing I learned doing that :
    After disabling the Services and restarting them, I was kinda shocked since I could not
    enter anything anymore on their screens o.0

    After feeling like a complete idiot (I read up more on the services, and when to shut them
    down and when not ), I did yet another Network Portscan, panic-ing for a way to restore
    my mistake and regain access...

    I found the Telnet service up and running on all of them, and (for the first time in my
    life) used Telnet to access the machines
    Works like a blast, and I now know (after like 10 years of Windoze) what Telnet is good
    for *gg*
    Trying it on my Alpha 21064, I also found out it works really nice

    Now I wonder what to do with those 3 large SGI Monitors )
    (and if I could use it to remote-control the remaining Windoze boxes as well, really nifty
    thing to have)

    PS.
    Top now reports in the vicinity of 99-100% Idle CPU.
    Looks like I'm getting there!

    Greetings
    FalconFly

    Webmaster