Re: SGI using ATI Chips? - SGI

This is a discussion on Re: SGI using ATI Chips? - SGI ; Avi Bercovich writes: > Markus Kummerer wrote: > > Hello, > > According to Heise Online ( http://www.heise.de ), SGI´s upcoming product, > > which they name "Onyx4 UlitmateVision", is going to use ATI Graphics Chips. > > The site ...

  1. Re: SGI using ATI Chips?

    Avi Bercovich writes:

    > Markus Kummerer wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > According to Heise Online (http://www.heise.de), SGI´s upcoming product,
    > > which they name "Onyx4 UlitmateVision", is going to use ATI Graphics Chips.
    > > The site also claims, that an ATI Graphics Chip will be available for the
    > > "Tezro" Visual Workstation in 2004.
    > > IMHO an unpleasant way to start the week...

    > oh I dont know if it so unpleasant...
    >
    > The days that SGI had to invent and produce many of their own nuts and bolts
    > are over. ATI produces pretty good gfx chips and they have economies of scale
    > that SGI can only dream of. So if SGI has come up with a way of using ATI chips
    > to build a monster gfx subsystem who cares where SGI sources the chips?
    >
    > In fact I say well done SGI to be able to get rid of some of the
    > NIH-syndrome!

    Did some of the Nvidia and ATi crew not come from SGI ?

    Richard.

  2. Re: SGI using ATI Chips?

    In article ,
    Richard Ingram wrote:

    : Did some of the Nvidia and ATi crew not come from SGI ?

    SGI might as well re-brand themselves as a training institute for the computer
    graphics industry, with the number of people who have left to form/join other
    companies like ATI and NVidia.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya@apia.dhs.org