MIPS or Itanium? - SGI

This is a discussion on MIPS or Itanium? - SGI ; This looks intersting: http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_re...july/obey.html Too bad the press release doesn't mention if the big iron mentioned is MIPS or Itanium based....

  1. MIPS or Itanium?

    This looks intersting:
    http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_re...july/obey.html

    Too bad the press release doesn't mention if the big iron mentioned is
    MIPS or Itanium based.

  2. Re: MIPS or Itanium?

    John-Paul Stewart wrote in message news:<3F11BD51.BB05A101@sympatico.ca>...
    > Colin Anderson wrote:
    > >
    > > This looks intersting:
    > > http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_re...july/obey.html
    > >
    > > Too bad the press release doesn't mention if the big iron mentioned is
    > > MIPS or Itanium based.

    > The Air Force flight simulators are Onyx-based, hence MIPS processors.
    > Other press releases pertaining to the Air Force systems being upgraded
    > can be found here:

    Not all, the BA -Hawk trainer sim runs from a set of O2's, from memory
    8 of them hooked together. Iam not sure on the specs, as when i saw it
    they were all nicely tucked into a cabinet. But they may be hooked
    together by an Oynx, thats possible

    drool!!!..

    flightsimming at its best
    Vanne

  3. Re: MIPS or Itanium?

    Vanne de Castle wrote:

    > John-Paul Stewart wrote in message news:<3F11BD51.BB05A101@sympatico.ca>...
    > > Colin Anderson wrote:
    > > >
    > > > This looks intersting:
    > > > http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_re...july/obey.html
    > > >
    > > > Too bad the press release doesn't mention if the big iron mentioned is
    > > > MIPS or Itanium based.

    > > The Air Force flight simulators are Onyx-based, hence MIPS processors.
    > > Other press releases pertaining to the Air Force systems being upgraded
    > > can be found here:
    > >

    > Not all, the BA -Hawk trainer sim runs from a set of O2's, from memory
    > 8 of them hooked together. Iam not sure on the specs, as when i saw it
    > they were all nicely tucked into a cabinet. But they may be hooked
    > together by an Oynx, thats possible

    The article cited in the above URL is specifically about the USAF F-16
    flight simulators. Other articles on SGI's webiste (referenced in the
    URL I posted in my previous message in this thread) specifically state
    that the USAF F-16 simulators are Onyx-based.

+ Reply to Thread