SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED - SGI

This is a discussion on SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED - SGI ; Hello all, I am looking for someone out there that has any knowledge on changing the serial number on Origin R-Bricks. From what I understand, when you have two two rack systems for example, with 4 r-bricks, each r-brick has ...

  1. SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    Hello all,

    I am looking for someone out there that has any knowledge on changing
    the serial number on Origin R-Bricks. From what I understand, when you
    have two two rack systems for example, with 4 r-bricks, each r-brick
    has to have the same serial number in order to boot. I have a failed r-
    brick currently, and need to find a way to replace the serial number
    on the new one. SGI has not been able to help at all interestingly
    enough. I you or someone you know is able to do this please advise.

    thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    In article <1189694986.736217.239380@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>,
    freesourcetech writes:
    > I am looking for someone out there that has any knowledge on changing
    > the serial number on Origin R-Bricks. From what I understand, when you
    > have two two rack systems for example, with 4 r-bricks, each r-brick
    > has to have the same serial number in order to boot. I have a failed r-
    > brick currently, and need to find a way to replace the serial number
    > on the new one. SGI has not been able to help at all interestingly
    > enough. I you or someone you know is able to do this please advise.

    This from a collegue who used to be a SGI field service rep:

    The router board inside the R-Bricks must be programmed at the factory.
    And are not interchangeable between systems on Origin 3000 series. SGI
    wanted to discourage customers from merging different Origin 3000 together
    without have to pay additional support.

    I know because I tried. It'll cost $876.00 for a new router board.

  3. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    Steve Allen wrote:
    > In article <1189694986.736217.239380@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>,
    > freesourcetech writes:
    >> I am looking for someone out there that has any knowledge on changing
    >> the serial number on Origin R-Bricks. From what I understand, when you
    >> have two two rack systems for example, with 4 r-bricks, each r-brick
    >> has to have the same serial number in order to boot. I have a failed r-
    >> brick currently, and need to find a way to replace the serial number
    >> on the new one. SGI has not been able to help at all interestingly
    >> enough. I you or someone you know is able to do this please advise.

    > This from a collegue who used to be a SGI field service rep:
    >
    > The router board inside the R-Bricks must be programmed at the factory.
    > And are not interchangeable between systems on Origin 3000 series. SGI
    > wanted to discourage customers from merging different Origin 3000 together
    > without have to pay additional support.
    >
    > I know because I tried. It'll cost $876.00 for a new router board.

    It's a good thing your colleague used to be SGI field service,
    I'm sure both SGI and SGI customers don't need service reps
    telling people the wrong thing (and the above is very very wrong).

    You don't need to pay to change the serial number. This was done
    to stop certain countries buying many small systems and creating
    a single large system from them.
    I guess you may need to pay if you don't have a support contract,
    probably the time it takes to make sure you are who you say you are,
    plus the 10 seconds to create the temporary authenticator.

    Each brick has a unique BSN (brick serial number).
    Each system has an SSN (system serial number).

    The SSN must match or bricks will not power up.

    This is from an R-Brick :

    L1> help serial
    serial
    shows secure system serial numbering information only.

  4. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    In article <13emiaua072d212@corp.supernews.com>,
    foo writes:
    > Steve Allen wrote:
    >> This from a collegue who used to be a SGI field service rep:
    >>
    >> The router board inside the R-Bricks must be programmed at the factory.
    >> And are not interchangeable between systems on Origin 3000 series. SGI
    >> wanted to discourage customers from merging different Origin 3000 together
    >> without have to pay additional support.
    >>
    >> I know because I tried. It'll cost $876.00 for a new router board.

    > It's a good thing your colleague used to be SGI field service,
    > I'm sure both SGI and SGI customers don't need service reps
    > telling people the wrong thing (and the above is very very wrong).
    >
    > You don't need to pay to change the serial number. This was done
    > to stop certain countries buying many small systems and creating
    > a single large system from them.
    > I guess you may need to pay if you don't have a support contract,
    > probably the time it takes to make sure you are who you say you are,
    > plus the 10 seconds to create the temporary authenticator.
    >

    > Each brick has a unique BSN (brick serial number).
    > Each system has an SSN (system serial number).
    >
    > The SSN must match or bricks will not power up.
    >
    > This is from an R-Brick :
    >
    > L1> help serial
    > serial
    > shows secure system serial numbering information only.
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > serial
    > erases and reassigns system serial number using temporary authenticator.
    >

    > So, 'serial' on the R-Brick L1 will give you the R-Brick BSN,
    > you give that BSN to SGI support and they give you ' '.
    >
    > The "temporary authenticator" only lasts for a while, so the date/time
    > must also be correct (or close enough) on the R-Brick L1.

    That is true, my colleague says, but it is only temporary. At the end,
    you still have to pay SGI to flash the correct system serial number.

  5. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    Steve Allen wrote:
    > In article <13emiaua072d212@corp.supernews.com>,
    > foo writes:
    >>
    >> Each brick has a unique BSN (brick serial number).
    >> Each system has an SSN (system serial number).
    >>
    >> The SSN must match or bricks will not power up.
    >>
    >> This is from an R-Brick :
    >>
    >> L1> help serial
    >> serial
    >> shows secure system serial numbering information only.
    >> .
    >> .
    >> .
    >> serial
    >> erases and reassigns system serial number using temporary authenticator.
    >>

    >> So, 'serial' on the R-Brick L1 will give you the R-Brick BSN,
    >> you give that BSN to SGI support and they give you ' '.
    >>
    >> The "temporary authenticator" only lasts for a while, so the date/time
    >> must also be correct (or close enough) on the R-Brick L1.

    > That is true, my colleague says, but it is only temporary. At the end,
    > you still have to pay SGI to flash the correct system serial number.

    Nope, when you 'serial ', the SSN on that brick
    becomes all zero's, when the SSN is all zero's the L1 learns the SSN from
    the attached L2, or if you don't have an L2, you can set the SSN to whatever
    you need with a command that does not appear in the L1 help.

    That's why the help output says "erases and reassigns system serial number".

    If you don't have a support contract, you should expect to pay T&M rates
    to get the required "temporary authenticator", but SGI do not need to
    flash anything and once the SSN is set, it stays set until another
    temporary authenticator is applied.

    What is "temporary" is the " ", it is tied to
    the BSN and the date/time, it will work today, but not next week.

    I have done this on both small and large Origins and Altixes
    (with and without routers).

  6. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    This from T*H*E Steve Allen that used to work in the factory in Chippewa
    Falls?

    Steve Allen wrote:
    > In article <1189694986.736217.239380@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>,
    > freesourcetech writes:
    >
    >> I am looking for someone out there that has any knowledge on changing
    >> the serial number on Origin R-Bricks. From what I understand, when you
    >> have two two rack systems for example, with 4 r-bricks, each r-brick
    >> has to have the same serial number in order to boot. I have a failed r-
    >> brick currently, and need to find a way to replace the serial number
    >> on the new one. SGI has not been able to help at all interestingly
    >> enough. I you or someone you know is able to do this please advise.
    >>

    > This from a collegue who used to be a SGI field service rep:
    >
    > The router board inside the R-Bricks must be programmed at the factory.
    > And are not interchangeable between systems on Origin 3000 series. SGI
    > wanted to discourage customers from merging different Origin 3000 together
    > without have to pay additional support.
    >
    > I know because I tried. It'll cost $876.00 for a new router board.

  7. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    In article <13eu20335kang03@corp.supernews.com>,
    foo writes:
    > Nope, when you 'serial ', the SSN on that brick
    > becomes all zero's, when the SSN is all zero's the L1 learns the SSN from
    > the attached L2, or if you don't have an L2, you can set the SSN to whatever
    > you need with a command that does not appear in the L1 help.
    >
    > That's why the help output says "erases and reassigns system serial number".
    >
    > If you don't have a support contract, you should expect to pay T&M rates
    > to get the required "temporary authenticator", but SGI do not need to
    > flash anything and once the SSN is set, it stays set until another
    > temporary authenticator is applied.
    >
    > What is "temporary" is the " ", it is tied to
    > the BSN and the date/time, it will work today, but not next week.
    >
    > I have done this on both small and large Origins and Altixes
    > (with and without routers).

    OK, my colleague says this is news to him. He came over from SGI when
    Onyx 2's were the big deal, and his old buddies never clued him in on
    the tricks on the new systems...

  8. Re: SGI ORIGIN 3000 RBRICK EXPERT NEEDED

    In article ,
    Joe writes:
    > This from T*H*E Steve Allen that used to work in the factory in Chippewa
    > Falls?

    Nope. There's just too many of us S.A.'s around. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread