autofs - SGI

This is a discussion on autofs - SGI ; Hi, I have recently purchased a Indigo 2 for fun and connected it to a Solaris 10 E250 server at home. The I2 runs 6.5.22m. I have plenty of Suns and they are all using NIS and autofs for mounting ...

  1. autofs

    Hi,

    I have recently purchased a Indigo 2 for fun and connected it to a
    Solaris 10 E250 server at home.

    The I2 runs 6.5.22m.

    I have plenty of Suns and they are all using NIS and autofs for mounting
    of various filesystems such as home.

    However, I can not get the I2 to mount via autofs from the Sun, the
    /etc/auto_master lists auto_home and NIS is working.

    If I manually mount /home I can login using NIS and ypcat auto.home
    works fine to.

    Is there anyone that can point me to the solution in this?

    /michael

  2. Re: autofs

    MJ> However, I can not get the I2 to mount via autofs from the Sun, the
    MJ> /etc/auto_master lists auto_home and NIS is working.
    Make sure you're running autofs and not automounter - the later is the
    user-space daemon and uses /etc/auto.master

    BTW, what does you auto_master looks like?

    MJ> If I manually mount /home I can login using NIS and ypcat auto.home
    MJ> works fine to.
    Check /etc/nsswitch.conf, it should have automount entry enabled.
    If that does not work, crank the debug up on autofsd with -T options
    and see what happens.

    max

  3. Re: autofs

    HI Max,

    Max Matveev wrote:

    > MJ> However, I can not get the I2 to mount via autofs from the Sun, the
    > MJ> /etc/auto_master lists auto_home and NIS is working.
    > Make sure you're running autofs and not automounter - the later is the
    > user-space daemon and uses /etc/auto.master
    >
    > BTW, what does you auto_master looks like?

    # Master map for automounter
    #
    +auto_master
    /net -hosts -nosuid,browse
    /home auto_home -browse
    /
    > MJ> If I manually mount /home I can login using NIS and ypcat auto.home
    > MJ> works fine to.
    > Check /etc/nsswitch.conf, it should have automount entry enabled.
    > If that does not work, crank the debug up on autofsd with -T options
    > and see what happens.
    >
    > max

    Below is from SYSLOG

    Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: mount of /home/mila failed
    Jul 18 22:20:02 6D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: MOUNT REQUEST : name=mila
    map=auto_home opts=browse path=/home id=65536
    Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: getmapent_uns: mila
    automount:auto_home returned NS_NOTFOUND
    Jul 18 22:20:02 6D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: MOUNT REPLY^I: status=2 id=65536
    Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: mount of /home/mila failed
    Jul 18 22:25:04 6A:indigo2 unix: Portmapper at 192.162.1.4 not responding
    Jul 18 22:25:27 6A:indigo2 unix: Portmapper failure for 192.162.1.4,
    error 145

    bash-3.00# more /opt/system/admin/hosts/indigo2/etc/nsswitch.conf
    #
    # This is the SGI default nsswitch.conf file. This file determines
    # the maps that will be maintained by nsd, which methods will be
    # used to lookup information for a map, and what order the methods
    # are called in.
    #
    # For details on this file see the nsswitch.conf(4) manual page.
    #
    # After editing this file the nsd daemon must be sent a SIGHUP signal for
    # it to notice. Do a "killall -HUP nsd".
    #
    automount(dynamic): nis(nis_enumerate_key)
    #bootparams: files nis
    capability: files nis
    clearance: files nis
    ethers: files nis
    group: files nis
    hosts: files dns nis
    ipnodes: dns files
    mac: files nis
    mail(null_extend_key): ndbm(file=/etc/aliases) nis
    netgroup: nis
    #netid.byname: nis
    networks: files nis
    passwd: files nis
    protocols: nis [success=return] files
    rpc: files nis
    services: files nis
    shadow(mode=0700): files
    #ypservers: nis
    jlimits: mdbm nis

    /michael

  4. Re: autofs

    MJ> # Master map for automounter
    MJ> #
    MJ> +auto_master
    MJ> /net -hosts -nosuid,browse
    MJ> /home auto_home -browse

    Irix does not support browse option. Not what it matters - it will be
    passed to the mount command and ignored.

    MJ> Below is from SYSLOG

    MJ> Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: mount of /home/mila failed
    MJ> Jul 18 22:20:02 6D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: MOUNT REQUEST : name=mila
    MJ> map=auto_home opts=browse path=/home id=65536
    MJ> Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: getmapent_uns: mila
    MJ> automount:auto_home returned NS_NOTFOUND

    That looks like a good autofsd config but the entry for mila is
    missing in the auto_home map.

    I assume 'ypcat -k auto_home | grep mila' did work, right?
    What does 'cat /ns/.local/automount/auto_home/mila' return?

    MJ> # After editing this file the nsd daemon must be sent a SIGHUP signal for
    MJ> # it to notice. Do a "killall -HUP nsd".
    Better do to 'nsadmin restart'

    max

  5. Re: autofs

    Hi Max,

    Max Matveev wrote:

    > MJ> # Master map for automounter
    > MJ> #
    > MJ> +auto_master
    > MJ> /net -hosts -nosuid,browse
    > MJ> /home auto_home -browse
    >
    > Irix does not support browse option. Not what it matters - it will be
    > passed to the mount command and ignored.

    Okej.

    > MJ> Below is from SYSLOG
    >
    > MJ> Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: mount of /home/mila failed
    > MJ> Jul 18 22:20:02 6D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: MOUNT REQUEST : name=mila
    > MJ> map=auto_home opts=browse path=/home id=65536
    > MJ> Jul 18 22:20:02 3D:indigo2 autofsd[241]: getmapent_uns: mila
    > MJ> automount:auto_home returned NS_NOTFOUND
    >
    > That looks like a good autofsd config but the entry for mila is
    > missing in the auto_home map.

    Right.

    > I assume 'ypcat -k auto_home | grep mila' did work, right?

    No, that is the "been there before thing..." in my mind.

    the map on Solaris is auto.home from the clients side, but the actual
    text file on the NIS server is auto_home(after make of the NIS it
    becomes '.'.

    ypcat -k auto.home | grep mila WORKS!

    I have been here before for a few years ago on some Linux boxes, that
    the map had '.' on Sun and '_' on the clients, has this maybe changed
    from SunOS4 to SunOS5 and now it is incompatible?

    > What does 'cat /ns/.local/automount/auto_home/mila' return?
    >
    > MJ> # After editing this file the nsd daemon must be sent a SIGHUP signal for
    > MJ> # it to notice. Do a "killall -HUP nsd".
    > Better do to 'nsadmin restart'
    >
    > max

    I only have /ns/.local/automount/auto.master and auto_master there!

    I will continue this in a few weeks again, heading for vacation know.

    much thanks for far

    Michael

  6. Re: autofs

    MJ> ypcat -k auto.home | grep mila WORKS!
    well, put auto.home into /etc/auto_master on Irix and it should work,
    i.e

    /home auto.home

    MJ> I only have /ns/.local/automount/auto.master and auto_master there!
    /ns is "magic" filesystem which nsd uses, it will create a directories
    files when you ask for it. Try /ns/.local/automount/auto.home/mila.

    MJ> I will continue this in a few weeks again, heading for vacation know.
    Enjoy it.

    max

  7. Re: autofs

    I have the same thing here,

    I did "ypcat -k auto.home | wc -l"

    on my server, it returned 7151 lines
    on my NIS master, it returned 8128 lines

    I did "ypcat -k auto.home | wc -c"

    on my server, returned 256078 characters.
    on my NIS master, it returned 291064 characters

    i think i have reached a limit on the SGI box and some records are missing.

  8. Re: autofs

    did "ypxfr -f auto.home" and my NIS auto.home is OK now. (wc is OK)

    don`t know why, the auto.home is not sync automatically.....

    hope it helps ...

    Bsob

+ Reply to Thread