Earliest version of Irix for Fuel - SGI

This is a discussion on Earliest version of Irix for Fuel - SGI ; Hi, I'm wondering what the earliest version of the Irix media I could use to do an installation on a Fuel would be. The machine in question is has the 600 MHz R14k in it. I have original media for ...

  1. Earliest version of Irix for Fuel

    Hi,

    I'm wondering what the earliest version of the Irix media I could use to do
    an installation on a Fuel would be. The machine in question is has the 600
    MHz R14k in it.

    I have original media for 6.5.8, together with overlays for 6.5.15. I also
    have 6.5.29 overlays which I have burned onto CDs myself, but not (as yet)
    in EFS format, and so not bootable.

    I have seen suggestions that 6.5.15 may be sufficient, but I have also seen
    suggestions that 6.5.18 is required.

    The first overlay CD from 6.5.15 has the following:

    cow 27% ls -l /CDROM/stand/
    total 17211
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 514544 Jan 10 2002 fx.64
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 274524 Jan 10 2002 fx.ARCS
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 987332 Jan 10 2002 ide.IP20
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 1974468 Jan 10 2002 ide.IP22
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 1028344 Jan 10 2002 ide.IP26
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 1686944 Jan 10 2002 ide.IP28
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 1594016 Jan 10 2002 ide.IP30
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root sys 750032 Jan 10 2002 ide.IP32

    So, will I be able to boot and to a clean install with this media? I don't
    see anything labelled as ide.IP34, which I would guess might be a
    requirement.

    Alternatively, will I be able to set up a network boot server for this
    (either an Octane, or a SunFire 280R).

    Or as a third option, will it be possible to create a bootable EFS CD with
    the appropriate bits in the /stand directory? I'm not sure that these
    things exist on the downloadable copy of 6.5.29, or am I just looking in
    the wrong place?

    The fourth option involves me sending some cash to SGI in exchange for the
    media, but the amount of cash required is not small, so I hesitate.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

  2. Re: Earliest version of Irix for Fuel

    tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott) writes:

    > I'm wondering what the earliest version of the Irix media I could use to do
    > an installation on a Fuel would be. The machine in question is has the 600
    > MHz R14k in it.

    I seem to remember that ours came with 6.5.18 or 6.5.19.

    I've been through the IRIX 6.5.x Update Guides on techpubs.sgi.com to
    confirm that 6.5.17 is the release in which Fuel support was added.
    That's the minimum you will need.

  3. Re: Earliest version of Irix for Fuel

    On 28 Feb 2007 12:13:00 +0200, Atro Tossavainen
    wrote:

    >tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott) writes:
    >
    >> I'm wondering what the earliest version of the Irix media I could use to do
    >> an installation on a Fuel would be. The machine in question is has the 600
    >> MHz R14k in it.

    >I seem to remember that ours came with 6.5.18 or 6.5.19.
    >
    >I've been through the IRIX 6.5.x Update Guides on techpubs.sgi.com to
    >confirm that 6.5.17 is the release in which Fuel support was added.
    >That's the minimum you will need.

    You should be fine with anythign from 6.5.14 upwards:

    https://support.sgi.com/content_requ...036/index.html

  4. Re: Earliest version of Irix for Fuel

    rothers wrote:
    > On 28 Feb 2007 12:13:00 +0200, Atro Tossavainen
    > wrote:
    >
    >>tristram.scott@ntlworld.com (Tristram Scott) writes:
    >>
    >>> I'm wondering what the earliest version of the Irix media I could use to do
    >>> an installation on a Fuel would be. The machine in question is has the 600
    >>> MHz R14k in it.

    >>I seem to remember that ours came with 6.5.18 or 6.5.19.
    >>
    >>I've been through the IRIX 6.5.x Update Guides on techpubs.sgi.com to
    >>confirm that 6.5.17 is the release in which Fuel support was added.
    >>That's the minimum you will need.

    > You should be fine with anythign from 6.5.14 upwards:
    >
    > https://support.sgi.com/content_requ...036/index.html

    Thanks for your responses. There does seem to be some conflict between the
    update guides and the IRIX Operating System Support Status table referenced
    above. Interesting to note that the 6.5.17 Update guide doesn't seem to
    mention the Fuel, but the one from 6.5.19 states that support for Fuel was
    added in 6.5.17.

    This morning I managed to run fx.64 off the 6.5.15 CD from the command
    monitor, which suggests I should be able to format a new boot disk. I
    guess that if I cut the 6.5.29 overlays onto an EFS CD then I would be able
    to boot from 6.5.15, run fx to create a new boot partition, then run inst
    and feed it the 6.5.29 CDs together with the Foundation 1 and 2 etc.

    If that fails, indications are that I may be able to install 6.5.15, and
    upgrade from there under Irix.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant