help with Origin 3000 system - SGI

This is a discussion on help with Origin 3000 system - SGI ; Hi, I have recently 'acquired' an Origin 3000 system. I have assembled all the bits and can run to the l2 controller and do some diagnostics...How do I load and run Irix on this machine? I have the I_brick running, ...

  1. help with Origin 3000 system

    Hi, I have recently 'acquired' an Origin 3000 system. I have assembled
    all the bits and can run to the l2 controller and do some
    diagnostics...How do I load and run Irix on this machine? I have the
    I_brick running, it seems to do something with the internal disk but
    how/where do I get a 'PROM' menu?
    I can access th l1 and l2 OK but beyond that nothing....The machine
    came to me 'as-is' from a bankrupt company so I have no
    documentation..Can anybody help me???

  2. Re: help with Origin 3000 system

    brooksie schrieb:
    > Hi, I have recently 'acquired' an Origin 3000 system. I have assembled
    > all the bits and can run to the l2 controller and do some
    > diagnostics...How do I load and run Irix on this machine? I have the
    > I_brick running, it seems to do something with the internal disk but
    > how/where do I get a 'PROM' menu?
    > I can access th l1 and l2 OK but beyond that nothing....The machine
    > came to me 'as-is' from a bankrupt company so I have no
    > documentation..Can anybody help me???

    From my understanding you need at least the Ibrick and one Cbrick (the
    lowest one!). Be sure that you have connect the FC disk cage with the
    short FC cable to the HBA.

    http://gallery.irixworld.net/v/origi...iddle.jpg.html
    I mean the black cable.... the disk cage is on the right side (door opened)

    To reach the PROM you have to press "ESC" after the machine passed the
    diagnostict.

    Come your Bricks from different machines or all from the same...eg. have
    all of them already the right numbering (check the l1 display)

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  3. Re: help with Origin 3000 system

    Hi, well I think I have made progress!

    I use CTRL-D when in the L2 prompt, this brings me to the PROM, from
    there I can do the S/W install and run IRIX....
    The next question is has anyone ever tried to use a PCI graphic card
    in the I brick to run IRIX desktop from the I brick?

    I worked out where each brick should be - thanks Joerg

    Paul

  4. Re: help with Origin 3000 system

    Le Sat, 24 Feb 2007 01:03:52 -0800, brooksie a écrit*:

    > The next question is has anyone
    > ever tried to use a PCI graphic card in the I brick to run IRIX desktop
    > from the I brick?

    It's extremely unlikely to work. There was ages ago a special PCI graphic
    card that worked on Origin200s, but it was specially tailored and
    extremely uncommon. None of the standard off-the-shelf for-PC-cards would
    work, that's a pretty sure thing. Of course you've got nothing to lose
    trying...

    --
    Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
    Benjamin Franklin.

  5. Re: help with Origin 3000 system

    brooksie schrieb:
    > Hi, well I think I have made progress!
    >
    > I use CTRL-D when in the L2 prompt, this brings me to the PROM, from
    > there I can do the S/W install and run IRIX....
    > The next question is has anyone ever tried to use a PCI graphic card
    > in the I brick to run IRIX desktop from the I brick?
    >
    > I worked out where each brick should be - thanks Joerg

    Just buy a Vbrick with one or two V12 which can be also combinine with
    the DCOs. So you can easily hook up 4 displays to your o3k.

    Depends on your needs it may be cheaper just to export the desktop or
    the needed apps to another machine which already have a GFX option

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243
    Alfred-Nobel-Straße 20 Fax: +49 931 903-3025
    HRB Wuerzburg 6940 http://www.takenet.de

+ Reply to Thread