How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ??? - SGI

This is a discussion on How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ??? - SGI ; Hi, I have a ethernet network with some macs on it, with a internet connection on a router. How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ??? Thanks...

  1. How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    Hi,

    I have a ethernet network with some macs on it, with a internet connection
    on a router.

    How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    Thanks

  2. Re: How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    Which machine you have?
    IRIX is an OS.

    "Macosx" wrote in message news:C1E78E85.34D91%kontakt11@hotmail.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a ethernet network with some macs on it, with a internet connection
    > on a router.
    >
    > How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    On 01-02-2007 12:42, in article Vmkwh.47331$Nb2.901259@news1.nokia.com,
    "Zak." wrote:

    > Which machine you have?
    > IRIX is an OS.
    >
    > "Macosx" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a ethernet network with some macs on it, with a internet connection
    >> on a router.
    >>
    >> How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Indigo 2 High Impact.

  4. Re: How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    Macosx schrieb:
    > On 01-02-2007 12:42, in article Vmkwh.47331$Nb2.901259@news1.nokia.com,
    > "Zak." wrote:
    >
    >> Which machine you have?
    >> IRIX is an OS.
    >>
    >> "Macosx" wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a ethernet network with some macs on it, with a internet connection
    >>> on a router.
    >>>
    >>> How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    I cant remember to IRIX 6.2 but most time you have to edit the same
    files for most of all IRIX releases.

    IIRC IRIX 6.2 comes already with the systemmanager GUI. Check if there
    is a entry for the network setup.

    If not... or you would like to use as a real unix admin edit the following.

    1. Make an entry with IP and Hostname in /etc/hosts. The hostname have
    to be the same as in /etc/sys_id!. You can also specify alias names there.
    2. Create /etc/resolve.conf and enter your DNS Servers
    3. Specify the default GW (IP of your ROUTER) in
    /etc/config/static-route.options last line
    4. Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf (change the resolv order of hosts: You want
    "files, dns" only

    Check chkconfig if netowork is enabled.

    Restart the machine.

    Perform the following checks.
    1. ping $your host
    2. ping $IP_router
    3. ping 64.233.167.99
    4. ping google.com

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH, Geschaeftsfuehrer Wolfgang Meier
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  5. Re: How can i connect irex 6.2 to the internet ???

    Joerg Behrens wrote:

    > Macosx schrieb:
    >
    >> On 01-02-2007 12:42, in article Vmkwh.47331$Nb2.901259@news1.nokia.com,
    >> "Zak." wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which machine you have?
    >>> IRIX is an OS.
    >>>
    >>> "Macosx" wrote in message

    > I cant remember to IRIX 6.2 but most time you have to edit the same
    > files for most of all IRIX releases.
    >
    > IIRC IRIX 6.2 comes already with the systemmanager GUI. Check if there
    > is a entry for the network setup.
    >
    > If not... or you would like to use as a real unix admin edit the following.
    >
    > 1. Make an entry with IP and Hostname in /etc/hosts. The hostname have
    > to be the same as in /etc/sys_id!. You can also specify alias names there.
    > 2. Create /etc/resolve.conf and enter your DNS Servers
    > 3. Specify the default GW (IP of your ROUTER) in
    > /etc/config/static-route.options last line
    > 4. Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf (change the resolv order of hosts: You want
    > "files, dns" only
    >
    > Check chkconfig if netowork is enabled.
    >
    > Restart the machine.
    >
    > Perform the following checks.
    > 1. ping $your host
    > 2. ping $IP_router
    > 3. ping 64.233.167.99
    > 4. ping google.com
    >
    > regards
    > Joerg

    Irix doesn't seem to understand modern dhcp.

    You need to specify everything, own IP, router IP (proxy) and DNS IP(s).

    My router does dhcp so I set up irix to do dhcp then I used another
    computer to read from the router what IP it was given the irix machine,
    then plottet that IP into it. Then I specified the inside IP of the
    router as proxy and got from the router the DNS IP (can also be found on
    my ISPs webpages).

    It is ok for me to use a fixed IP because the router allways gives the
    same IP to the same machine.

    I use irix 6.5 so there the network setup is in the system manager...

    --
    Knut
    (delete 'nogarbage.' for email)

+ Reply to Thread