User Manager not seeing users - SGI

This is a discussion on User Manager not seeing users - SGI ; On a fairly new install (as of Monday), I am unable to use User Manager. If I try to add a user, I get: This task was unable to locate any users on this system. The password file is apparently ...

  1. User Manager not seeing users

    On a fairly new install (as of Monday), I am unable to use User
    Manager. If I try to add a user, I get:

    This task was unable to locate any users on this system.
    The password file is apparently missing or unreadable.

    This is on an Origin 2000, IRIX 6.5.29
    I am able to ssh in to it fine.
    The /etc/passwd file is there, as is the /etc/shadow and /etc/group
    files.
    I used it previously to add a few users and they can log in as well.

    Help!!??

  2. Re: User Manager not seeing users

    Le Fri, 19 Jan 2007 07:57:40 -0800, Monterey IT Guy a écrit*:

    > On a fairly new install (as of Monday), I am unable to use User Manager.
    > If I try to add a user, I get:
    >
    > This task was unable to locate any users on this system. The password file
    > is apparently missing or unreadable.

    Try to clean up the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow with the "pwconv" command
    (as root).

    --
    Mais monsieur, voudriez-vous que je me l'écorchasse?
    Barbey d'Aurevilly.

  3. Re: User Manager not seeing users

    Made no difference.
    When I Google, I have seen where others had this happen, but no posted
    resolutions

    Brian

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > Le Fri, 19 Jan 2007 07:57:40 -0800, Monterey IT Guy a écrit :
    >
    > > On a fairly new install (as of Monday), I am unable to use User Manager.
    > > If I try to add a user, I get:
    > >
    > > This task was unable to locate any users on this system. The password file
    > > is apparently missing or unreadable.

    > Try to clean up the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow with the "pwconv" command
    > (as root).
    >
    > --
    > Mais monsieur, voudriez-vous que je me l'écorchasse?
    > Barbey d'Aurevilly.

  4. Re: User Manager not seeing users

    Le Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:50:17 -0800, Monterey IT Guy a écrit*:

    > Made no difference.
    > When I Google, I have seen where others had this happen, but no posted
    > resolutions

    Did you upgrade the system, or is it a fresh install? Perhaps are you
    missing a patch or something ?

    --
    Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
    doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.

  5. Re: User Manager not seeing users

    This is a fresh install on a brand new disk.

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > Le Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:50:17 -0800, Monterey IT Guy a écrit :
    >

    > > Made no difference.
    > > When I Google, I have seen where others had this happen, but no posted
    > > resolutions

    > Did you upgrade the system, or is it a fresh install? Perhaps are you
    > missing a patch or something ?
    >
    > --
    > Toutes les organisations ont leur règles, et les Femmes Algériennes
    > doivent avoir aussi leurs règles.
    > Aït Ahmed.

  6. Re: User Manager not seeing users

    Le Sat, 20 Jan 2007 07:43:15 -0800, Monterey IT Guy a écrit*:

    > This is a fresh install on a brand new disk.

    Well, no idea. I never ran anything better than 6.5.22, and I never met
    that problem... Anyone?

    --
    Quis, quid, ubi, quibus auxiliis, cur, quomodo, quando

  7. Re: User Manager not seeing users

    Emmanuel Florac wrote:
    > Le Sat, 20 Jan 2007 07:43:15 -0800, Monterey IT Guy a écrit?:

    >> This is a fresh install on a brand new disk.

    > Well, no idea. I never ran anything better than 6.5.22, and I never met
    > that problem... Anyone?

    No. I ran several versions on differend machine types but never
    encountered such problems - probably because I do not use shadow
    password. My first idea was wrong access rights for /etc/passwd and
    /etc/shadow (e.g. no read access)

    Toni

+ Reply to Thread