Daylight Saving Time Change in U.S.A. - SGI

This is a discussion on Daylight Saving Time Change in U.S.A. - SGI ; In the U.S.A. and Canada, the starting and ending times for Daylight Saving Time is changing this year. Anyone have a quick and easy way of fixing this? I suppose I could set the TZ variable to something huge, but ...

  1. Daylight Saving Time Change in U.S.A.

    In the U.S.A. and Canada, the starting and ending times for Daylight
    Saving Time is changing this year. Anyone have a quick and easy way of fixing
    this? I suppose I could set the TZ variable to something huge, but I notice a
    couple of man pages that show a different/better way? I found `zic' and
    `zdump', but I'm a little fuzzy on how or if I should try either of them. Any
    help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    --

    Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.)
    M.S. 912 Phone757) 865-1400, x204

  2. Re: Daylight Saving Time Change in U.S.A.

    In article ,
    "Brent L. Bates" wrote:

    > In the U.S.A. and Canada, the starting and ending times for Daylight
    > Saving Time is changing this year. Anyone have a quick and easy way
    > of fixing this?

    Apply a patch from SGI? I'm not suggesting that you can't fix this
    on your own, but SGI released patches last year for versions of Irix
    going back to at least 6.5.22 (patch 7094 for Irix 6.5.22m was released
    on May 5, 2006, for instance).

    --

    R. Lynn Rardin

  3. Re: Daylight Saving Time Change in U.S.A.

    Brent L. Bates wrote:
    > In the U.S.A. and Canada, the starting and ending times for Daylight Saving
    > Time is changing this year. Anyone have a quick and easy way of fixing
    > this? I suppose I could set the TZ variable to something huge, but I
    > notice a couple of man pages that show a different/better way? I found
    > `zic' and `zdump', but I'm a little fuzzy on how or if I should try either
    > of them. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    The zic/zdump way is much preferred. It is based on the code by Arthur
    David Olson at ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/ and you should be able to track
    down the updated northamerica file from there. It has been quite a while
    since I did any of this (back when SGI didn't distribute the Olson stuff),
    but I recall that it was never too difficult. You shouldn't need to modify
    the northamerica file by hand.

    Alternatively, as someone else has suggested, look for a patch from SGI.

    --
    Dr Tristram J. Scott
    Energy Consultant

+ Reply to Thread