[octane] pb with network install - SGI

This is a discussion on [octane] pb with network install - SGI ; hi, I try to install a octane from a network server to a clean disk tasks done: - disk is present when I type a 'hinv' in the maintenance menu - specify ip address - config and run dhcp+bootp server ...

  1. [octane] pb with network install

    hi,

    I try to install a octane from a network server to a clean disk

    tasks done:
    - disk is present when I type a 'hinv' in the maintenance menu
    - specify ip address
    - config and run dhcp+bootp server on server (ip set from server)
    - config and run tftp server
    - 'sa' file is in the server directory

    but when i begin the network instalation i have this message from my
    octane:

    Write error 17: no space left on device

    what is this device ? is it my new clean scsi disk or what else ?

    Questions:
    - do I have to use formated disk in my octane before boing the
    install ? and if yes how can I perfom that without any OS on my octane ?

    --
    Patrick CAO HUU THIEN
    email: pcao arobase ccr point jussieu point fr

  2. Re: [octane] pb with network install

    In article ,
    Patrick Cao Huu Thien wrote:

    >I try to install a octane from a network server to a clean disk

    You need to partition the disk first.

    >- do I have to use formated disk in my octane before boing the
    >install ? and if yes how can I perfom that without any OS on my octane ?

    Normally you would boot from CD, and the install program would notice
    that you did not have partitions set up and would offer to set them
    up for you.

    As you are trying to do this over the network, what you probably need
    to do is boot from the "standalone fx". Look in the place you copied
    the volume header to, for files named sash64 and fx.64 .
    you need to boot from fx.64 but you might need to boot sash64 in
    order to be able to reference fx.64 ... and until you have sash64
    loaded you might not be able to reference sash64 over the network.

    Sorry, it's been years since I last worked at that level so I no
    longer recall all the tricks. nekochan has users who would know
    this stuff better than I.

  3. Re: [octane] pb with network install

    Walter Roberson a dit le 11/24/2006 06:23 PM:
    > In article ,
    > Patrick Cao Huu Thien wrote:
    >
    >> I try to install a octane from a network server to a clean disk

    > You need to partition the disk first.

    ok I have initialize the disk on another octane

    and now the message is:

    Setting $netaddr to x.x.x.x (from server )
    swap partition (1) is not a valid swap area

    > As you are trying to do this over the network, what you probably need
    > to do is boot from the "standalone fx". Look in the place you copied
    > the volume header to, for files named sash64 and fx.64 .
    > you need to boot from fx.64 but you might need to boot sash64 in
    > order to be able to reference fx.64 ... and until you have sash64
    > loaded you might not be able to reference sash64 over the network.

    after search about fx or sash64 I find this in [1]

    The first step is to boot into fx to repartition the system disk.
    Notice there's no need here to boot first into sash.

    boot -f bootp()192.0.2.10:/i/cds/6.5inst/stand/fx.ARCS --x

    but when I try this I have this message:

    Setting $netaddr to x.x.x.x (from server )
    Obtaining /irix-6.5.22/stand/fx.ARCS from server
    Unable to execute bootp()x.x.x.y:/irix-6.5.22/stand/fx.ARCS: execute
    form error
    Unable to load bootp()x.x.x.y:/irix-6.5.22/stand/fx.ARCS: execute
    form error

    I even try to load fx.64 (sic) but the result is not better

    Unable to load bootp()x.x.x.y:/irix-6.5.22/stand/fx.64:
    ''bootp()x.x.x.y:/irix-6.5.22/stand/fx.64'' is not a valid file to boot

    [1] http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/netboot.html

    --
    Patrick CAO HUU THIEN
    email: pcao arobase ccr point jussieu point fr
    gpg key ID: 1024D/58D16D27 sur pgp.mit.edu
    fingerprint: D7B8 7DFB 479C A02E 48A2 383C 0005 4A33 58D1 6D27

  4. Re: [octane] pb with network install

    In article ,
    Patrick Cao Huu Thien wrote:

    >ok I have initialize the disk on another octane
    >and now the message is:
    >Setting $netaddr to x.x.x.x (from server )
    >swap partition (1) is not a valid swap area

    That implies there is no partition 1 on it. The easiest thing is
    to take the disk back to the other octane and use fx (not standalone,
    the one under the operating system) to partition the disk as a root disk.

    As long as you have the disk on the other octane, you can use
    'dvhtool' to put a copy of fx and sash on the volume header of the
    drive; you can use dvhtool on the good octane's disk to find the
    exact file names (and even to extra them from that disk and then
    put them on the new disk.)

    While you have the disk in the good octane, you could install IRIX
    on it there, by using the -r option to inst . It might end up
    picking the wrong graphics or something like that, but it is much
    easier to fix that issue once you have an installed OS.

+ Reply to Thread