Help to get g console back on O2 - SGI

This is a discussion on Help to get g console back on O2 - SGI ; Hi all. In a very misguided mishap, I setenv console vt100... Now, is there any way to get video out back on this machine? FYI, I got a message while trying to install netbsd saying that it only supported serial ...

  1. Help to get g console back on O2

    Hi all.

    In a very misguided mishap, I setenv console vt100...

    Now, is there any way to get video out back on this machine?

    FYI, I got a message while trying to install netbsd saying that it only
    supported serial console, and the netbsd install guide said that you
    could later choose vt100 or something else, that's why it happened.
    Anyhow, the screen is dark and the led red, so what to do?

    Best regards,

    A quite embarrased Sune Mølgaard

  2. Re: Help to get g console back on O2

    Sune Mølgaard wrote:

    > Hi all.
    >
    > In a very misguided mishap, I setenv console vt100...
    >
    > Now, is there any way to get video out back on this machine?
    >
    > FYI, I got a message while trying to install netbsd saying that it only
    > supported serial console, and the netbsd install guide said that you
    > could later choose vt100 or something else, that's why it happened.
    > Anyhow, the screen is dark and the led red, so what to do?

    netbsd??????????

    --
    ah-consulting.net
    Götz Fischer

  3. Re: Help to get g console back on O2

    Sune Mølgaard schrieb:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > In a very misguided mishap, I setenv console vt100...
    >
    > Now, is there any way to get video out back on this machine?

    Remove keyboard and mouse and hook up a serial cable. Standard
    parameters are 9600/8/1/n.

    Let us know if you get access to the prom again.

    regards
    Joerg

    --
    TakeNet GmbH http://www.takenet.de
    97080 Wuerzburg Tel: +49 931 903-2243

  4. Re: Help to get g console back on O2

    Joerg Behrens wrote:
    > Sune Mølgaard schrieb:
    >
    >> Hi all.
    >>
    >> In a very misguided mishap, I setenv console vt100...
    >>
    >> Now, is there any way to get video out back on this machine?

    > Remove keyboard and mouse and hook up a serial cable. Standard
    > parameters are 9600/8/1/n.
    >
    > Let us know if you get access to the prom again.
    >
    > regards
    > Joerg

    Thanks for the tip. I immediately unplugged kb and mouse and powered on,
    and was very relieved to hear the startup sound and seeing the green
    led. However, I have only today gotten my hands on a nullmodem cable and
    have yet to actually see the serial console, but on grounds of the led
    and sound, I am confident that it will work.

    I can't thank you enough, so in lieu of that, I'll just try with plain
    "thank you very much" :-)

    Best regards,

    Sune

    --
    Number 3 pencils and quadrille pads.
    - Seymoure Cray (1925-1996) , when asked what CAD tools he used to

  5. Re: Help to get g console back on O2

    And now that I finally got a null-modem cable, I have successfullt
    enabled graphical console again.

    Thanks again,

    Sune

    --
    My goal is simple. It is complete understanding of the universe, why
    it as it is and why it exists as all.

+ Reply to Thread