Reading tapes - SGI

This is a discussion on Reading tapes - SGI ; Folks We have some 8 mm tapes. They have been made using tar. We are trying to read these tapes on our SGI IRIX 6.4. We want to read the whole content of tapes and redirect it to different directory. ...

  1. Reading tapes

    Folks

    We have some 8 mm tapes. They have been made using tar.

    We are trying to read these tapes on our SGI IRIX 6.4.

    We want to read the whole content of tapes and redirect it to different
    directory.

    we are using

    tar xv command

    But it does not redirect to different directory.

    IS there any way to do this??

    cpio does not work as tapes are made of tar.

    thanks

  2. Re: Reading tapes

    In article <1162414209.561121.111270@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>,
    CSUIDL PROGRAMMEr wrote:

    >We have some 8 mm tapes. They have been made using tar.

    >We are trying to read these tapes on our SGI IRIX 6.4.

    >cpio does not work as tapes are made of tar.

    cpio *can* read tar files.

    cpio -idkv -H tar -I /dev/tape

    except that this doesn't redirect directories. (I don't have time
    at the moment to figure out that portion.)

  3. Re: Reading tapes

    CSUIDL PROGRAMMEr wrote:
    >We have some 8 mm tapes. They have been made using tar.
    >We are trying to read these tapes on our SGI IRIX 6.4.
    >We want to read the whole content of tapes and redirect it to different
    >directory.

    cd to the directory you want to extract into, and use tar, adding
    the R option to the normal command string.

+ Reply to Thread