Connectivity between IRIX 6.3 and windows - SGI

This is a discussion on Connectivity between IRIX 6.3 and windows - SGI ; Hi, I am having difficulty getting connectivity between windows and IRIX 6.3 O2 box. I have two IRIX 6.3 O2 boxes, when I connect them with cross cable, they can communicate between each other and ping each other properly. But, ...

  1. Connectivity between IRIX 6.3 and windows

    Hi,

    I am having difficulty getting connectivity between windows and IRIX
    6.3 O2 box. I have two IRIX 6.3 O2 boxes, when I connect them with
    cross cable, they can communicate between each other and ping each
    other properly. But, when I put any one of these boxes on the net,
    they are out of the network, can't ping any other machines on the
    network not even each other.

    netstat -rn shows Ierrs. I have tried changing the tcpsendspace and
    tcprecspace setting in the /var/sysgen/master.d/bsd file from 60 * 1024
    to 24 * 1024, but no luck..

    any help will be appreciated...
    thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Connectivity between IRIX 6.3 and windows

    In article <1161926170.094183.26570@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    sandz wrote:
    >Hi,

    >I am having difficulty getting connectivity between windows and IRIX
    >6.3 O2 box. I have two IRIX 6.3 O2 boxes, when I connect them with
    >cross cable, they can communicate between each other and ping each
    >other properly. But, when I put any one of these boxes on the net,
    >they are out of the network, can't ping any other machines on the
    >network not even each other.

    >netstat -rn shows Ierrs. I have tried changing the tcpsendspace and
    >tcprecspace setting in the /var/sysgen/master.d/bsd file from 60 * 1024
    >to 24 * 1024, but no luck..

    >any help will be appreciated...
    >thanks in advance.

    Can one of the O2s ping itself?

    What are you connecting them to? A switch, hub, router? If a switch
    or router, is the port you're connecting to autosensing for bit rate
    and duplex, or is it fixed?

    Gary

    --
    Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

    Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
    I'm developing a definition of "scientist" which excludes astronomers.

  3. Re: Connectivity between IRIX 6.3 and windows

    Hi Gary,

    Yes, both the O2 machines were pinging each other. Anyway problem is
    now solved. I was connecting them through the switch hpProcurve 2626
    j4900A to the network with which all the other computers are attached.
    There was some autonegotiation problem.

    So, I put a hub in between to switch and O2 machines to connect them,
    now they are pinging the gateway, and all the other systems on the
    network. I connected both the O2 machines to a 8 port hub, and one
    patch cable from hub to the network. Problem solved.

    Thanks for replying to my question.
    Sandeep

    On Oct 27, 3:53 pm, ghes...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:
    > In article <1161926170.094183.26...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    >
    > sandz wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >I am having difficulty getting connectivity between windows and IRIX
    > >6.3 O2 box. I have two IRIX 6.3 O2 boxes, when I connect them with
    > >cross cable, they can communicate between each other and ping each
    > >other properly. But, when I put any one of these boxes on the net,
    > >they are out of the network, can't ping any other machines on the
    > >network not even each other.
    > >netstat -rn shows Ierrs. I have tried changing the tcpsendspace and
    > >tcprecspace setting in the /var/sysgen/master.d/bsd file from 60 * 1024
    > >to 24 * 1024, but no luck..
    > >any help will be appreciated...
    > >thanks in advance.Can one of the O2s ping itself?

    > What are you connecting them to? A switch, hub, router? If a switch
    > or router, is the port you're connecting to autosensing for bit rate
    > and duplex, or is it fixed?
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > --
    > Gary Heston ghes...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
    >
    > Astronomers have developed a definition of "planet" which excludes Pluto.
    > I'm developing a definition of "scientist" which excludes astronomers.

  4. Re: Connectivity between IRIX 6.3 and windows

    sandz wrote:
    > Hi Gary,
    >
    > Yes, both the O2 machines were pinging each other. Anyway problem is
    > now solved. I was connecting them through the switch hpProcurve 2626
    > j4900A to the network with which all the other computers are attached.
    > There was some autonegotiation problem.
    >
    > So, I put a hub in between to switch and O2 machines to connect them,
    > now they are pinging the gateway, and all the other systems on the
    > network. I connected both the O2 machines to a 8 port hub, and one
    > patch cable from hub to the network. Problem solved.

    O2s are well-known for not autonegotiating properly with many switches.

+ Reply to Thread