Remote display management program? - SGI

This is a discussion on Remote display management program? - SGI ; Hi, We have a few O2's that are to slow to work with comfortably anymore but we would like to use them as a graphical terminals for our new, fast Linux machines. We're not looking for a Secure Shell with ...

  1. Remote display management program?

    Hi,

    We have a few O2's that are to slow to work with comfortably anymore but
    we would like to use them as a graphical terminals for our new, fast
    Linux machines.
    We're not looking for a Secure Shell with X forwarding, we want to
    display a session in the whole on the O2's while they are ran completely
    on our Linux machines.

    Apparently there is a program or method for doing this, but we can't
    remember how it's called or done.

    If this is working you should see a list of other machines ready for
    this on the login screen too instead of just the regular logins now.

    Can anyone point me in the good direction, or propose an alternative method?

    Thanks,

    Wimmy
    --
    Being owned by someone used to be called slavery.
    Now it's called commitment.

  2. Re: Remote display management program?

    In article ,
    Wim Cossement wrote:

    : Can anyone point me in the good direction, or propose an alternative method?

    You're probably looking to set up XDMCP. Googling for that should give you all
    the info you need.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler - Master of Code-fu
    -- nicoya@ubb.ca --*http://www.ubb.ca/ --

  3. Re: Remote display management program?

    Hello Tony,

    > : Can anyone point me in the good direction, or propose an alternative method?
    >
    > You're probably looking to set up XDMCP. Googling for that should give you all
    > the info you need.

    XDMCP is perhaps the fastest way to use the old SGIs, but it is also
    insecure, because passwords are not sent encrypted.

    A solution for encryption is ssh with x-forwarding, but the question is
    how can it be used in a useful way with the O2-CPU-Power.

    Perhaps NX by nomachine is useful for that matters. (There is a
    opensource version available)

    Bye
    --
    Marcus Siegl

  4. Re: Remote display management program?

    In article , Marcus Siegl
    wrote:

    : Hello Tony,
    :
    : > : Can anyone point me in the good direction, or propose an alternative
    : > : method?
    : >
    : > You're probably looking to set up XDMCP. Googling for that should give you
    : > all the info you need.
    :
    : XDMCP is perhaps the fastest way to use the old SGIs, but it is also
    : insecure, because passwords are not sent encrypted.

    Well, if you trust your network it's not an issue.

    : A solution for encryption is ssh with x-forwarding, but the question is
    : how can it be used in a useful way with the O2-CPU-Power.

    SSH encryption shouldn't add all that much overhead on an O2. I wouldn't worry
    about that.

    : Perhaps NX by nomachine is useful for that matters. (There is a
    : opensource version available)

    Or the classic VNC, some versions of which also support encryption.

    Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler

    --
    Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler - Master of Code-fu
    -- nicoya@ubb.ca --*http://www.ubb.ca/ --

+ Reply to Thread